Sony SBH80: Wireless to the Next Level: Review
Jan 19, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #151 of 161
Thank you kimvictor! Did you notice an improvement in the sound and isolation with the comply foams?! I saw they said the sbh80 wasn't supported but that other people found they work! Appreciate the info! So just look up the set for the z5 and get those?!

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #152 of 161
  If you're looking for another great sounding BT IEM, look at LG's HBS910. Definitely a different tuning, but I've been using the 910 mainly for the past few months. SBH80 is lighter and warmer, but the 910 has exceptional clarity and flatness. It also drops out less compared to the SBH80 in crowded places and stays around my neck better with its firmer housing. But the main selling point for me was the battery life. The 910 has at least 2-3hrs more of actual use time, which is kind of a big deal if you always use your BT IEMs.

In terms of comparing SBH80 to other IEMs:
vs. SBH70: I find the SBH70 to be very different from the 80. The 70s are earpod style, and hence have less clarity and isolation. Personally not a big fan of them, but if you want less sound isolation, they could be good.
vs. SE215/LE: I find SE215 to be competent, but a bit lacking compared to the SBH80, especially in the treble region. Both are warm earphones, but SBH80 just is capable of producing much more treble.
vs. Sony's new Hear In: Meh. The new Hear In wireless sounded too harsh for my taste. It's bass is boomy and the treble is way too harsh for my taste. I'm ok with harsh treble on flatter IEMs, but not with bassy IEMs.

I've also modified the SBH80 in various ways, including few mods for MH1C, but I don't recommend it too much. The SBH80 had its own color, and I feel like I ruined the color. It's a bit harsher now, and I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I suppose that's one reason why I'm using the HBS910 mainly.

yes victor, thank you for your suggestion. I'm much agree with you that the new hear-in from Sony, such MDR-XB70BT has a too boomy bass and too harsh treble compared to the SBH 80. I think I'd made the right choice of buying the older SBH 80 last month, though it's quite rare to find nowadays.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #153 of 161
Thank you kimvictor! Did you notice an improvement in the sound and isolation with the comply foams?! I saw they said the sbh80 wasn't supported but that other people found they work! Appreciate the info! So just look up the set for the z5 and get those?!

Yup. They might be a bit tight, but they still fit fairly easily. SBH80 has a fairly standard sized nozzle(like most other Sony IEMs).

yes victor, thank you for your suggestion. I'm much agree with you that the new hear-in from Sony, such MDR-XB70BT has a too boomy bass and too harsh treble compared to the SBH 80. I think I'd made the right choice of buying the older SBH 80 last month, though it's quite rare to find nowadays.

I'm glad we agree. Although I didn't know it was hard to find the SBH80.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #154 of 161

Also, tips for Phiaton BT100 would work too. I used the tips for BT100 on my SBH80.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #155 of 161
So, I believe I saw on this forum that the sbh80 sounds much better than the jaybird x2s? I like the sound of my shure better than the Sony, but I also spent a lot of time adjusting the equalizer on viper4android, so I suppose I should do the same with the Sony before I judge. But, I see the x2s are the same price as the Sony now and I'm not sure it's worth spending more for the x3. I trust you guys more than reading amazon and Best Buy reviews, so I wanted to ask you all. Also, I think comply tips would improve the Sony a lot, but I will have to wait til back in China to get them, and I don't know if I'm a small or medium :/ I'm a bit ocd on buying iems, but I don't have the money to buy multiple pair.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #156 of 161
One more question to add.... Have you guys been using the isolation or sport series for the comply foam tips? I never use a large size silicone tip, but on these sbh80s, the large tip really sealed well and improved the sound a lot, but it is too big. I really want to try one of these comply tips. I see it's the 200 size for the comply, so, I'm gonna try and get those soon!
I really appreciate the detailed info you guys have been giving me on all my questions!

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #157 of 161
The complys won't really improve the sound perse. It will improve comfort if you prefer foam tips. A better seal on the other hand(it seems like you get a good seal with large silicon tips), will definitely improve overall fidelity, though. I find myself to be more tolerant of larger size foam tips. For instance, I use small tips on many of my IEMs, but I found medium sizes Shure olives to fit very comfortably. On the other hand, the medium sized comply will be slightly bigger than the SBH80 tips, so you might find the medium comfortable as well.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #158 of 161
Thanks again for the reply. I tested the sbh80s at the gym and the silicone tips just wouldn't stay in very well compared to my shures with the olives. I think I'm gonna try the comply 200 series, as the headset itself stayed in place quite well, and the sound, though quiet, is nice. If the foams keep the tips in place, it will be awesome!
I thank you all again for the good answers to my questions! Much and we'll appreciated!

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #159 of 161
I haven't browsed the entire thread, so excuse me if this is already common knowledge.

The volume started getting really low in my left plug recently, I attributed it to using a cheap replacement tip.
However, I opened it today to check if it needed cleaning, and discovered that the protective film over the barrel was slightly loose, and the foam behind it was slightly recessed/pushed into the barrel. I gently pulled it back out with a needle, replaced the film and was amazed by the gain in volume and SQ they regained!

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #160 of 161
--crossposted in BeatsX forum:

I've been using Sony SBH80's for quite some time now (almost 3 years, I think) and tried quite a few Bluetooth in-ears in the mean time. I've quickly realized how lucky I was stumbling on the SBH80's: this $99 IEM easily outperformed competitors even in the $149 class. As to date, there are still few Bluetooth IEMs that rival the SBH80 in the sub-$200 market.

The Sony SBH80's are not flawless: most of the weight is in the neck band, which means that they can glide off your back when you're not paying attention (this is actually how I lost my first pair, running to catch a taxi in Beijing). The buttons are a bit finicky and there is no option of using 'wings', although the standard silicone ear tips are already quite good. Technically I could comment on the old Bluetooth standard (3.2 instead of 4.x) and the 'average' battery life (6 hours), but in real life the battery easily keeps the SBH80 powered up to 8 hours and the older Bluetooth version has no real-life consequences.

Still, I thought it was time to upgrade, and being a Mac/iOS user, the BeatsX had huge appeal to me: a longer running time (8 hours), a better weight distribution (weight is between the neck and ears, on both sides), magnetic earbuds, and most importantly, charging through Lightning adapter with a quick-charge option that gives you 2 hours of battery life with a 5-minute charge.

When I received the BeatsX, I took them straight out the box and started listening -- and couldn't believe how ****ty they were sounding. Until I realized I had left and right reversed -- oops; for some reason, the in-line remote is on the left side, which for me seemed a bit counterintuitive. I connected both SBH80 and BeatsX to iOS devices and did a side-by-side play of the same songs to hear the differences between these two IEMs.

The SBH80's have great punchy, yet natural sound bass, and very rich mids and treble. I would describe the sound as 'warm' and the soundstage as 'full'. They've been one of the first IEMs that lets you properly hear details like the sound of fingers sliding down the strings of a guitar, or the breath of a vocalist after he is singing a line. Whoever designed and tuned these little gems over at Sony was a true audiophile (and apparently got moved to other projects, because every IEM after the SBH80 is a severe step down, with overtly aggressive bass and cut-off treble).

With these high expectations, I have to say it took a day to fully appreciate the BeatsX. My fears of this IEM being bass-heavy (they are branded as BeatsX, after all) were unfounded. The bass is just as punchy as with my SBH80, but just as balanced and natural, The difference between the SBH80 and BeatsX is mainly towards the higher frequencies -- in the higher end of the mids, and the treble. Here, the BeatsX gives you an insanely detailed, crisp sound. I was able to discover new details in my favorite songs that I had not noticed with the SBH80's. At the same time, the sound feels a bit too clean, too perfect, too... digital? Even though the SBH80 lacks some detail when compared to the BeatsX, I slightly prefer the richness and warmth of the sound of the Sonys.

So which one is better? I'd say, it depends on your preferences. In my case, even though I would prefer the Sony's over the BeatsX by a minimal margin based on its sound, the design and modern features of the BeatsX are definitely the reason for me sticking with these headphones. If you're looking for these features as well, and you've got $150 to spend, you're got yourself a great pair of IEMs that will not disappoint. If sound quality is the key metric and you think $150 is steep, the Sony is a no-brainer. Either won't disappoint you.

(A quick note on the tips: BeatsX comes with 3 silicone tips, just like Sony. The mediums work quite well for me. They also come with two pairs of unobtrusive wings, which I honestly like very much. Using a combination of wings + M tips, these in-ears have not popped out of my ears yet during biking or working, and they're quite comfortable as well during longer stretches. I've just ordered Spiral Dot tips to see if they improve on the sound, let's see!)

May 5, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #161 of 161
I have a theory that the Forza Metallo Wireless is an updated version of the Sony SBH80. I listened to the SBH80 yesterday at B&H Photo and it has a surprisingly similar signature to the wired Forza. I didn't have them side-by-side to compare, but for $80 I think I just found the poor man's FMW.

forza-wirelessgunmetalwhitebg.jpg

5.8mm micro-driver
Dual microphone
apt-X/Bluetooth version not specified
Sweat & Waterproof
10+ hour battery
Charges in 1.5 hours
22.5 grams
SBH80-gallery-01-1240x840-b743dc24b086fbc2a2627280f8610d0e.jpg

5.8mm micro-driver
Dual microphone
apt-X/Bluetooth 3.0