Sony SBH80: Wireless to the Next Level: Review
Jun 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #31 of 161
  Sadly, after 6 months with mine, the right ear loses sound (slowly diminishes) after about 40 minutes.

It's a real shame as these are a great pair of BT in-ears. So, I'm back to my old setup with a sony BT dongle and a pair of Ety ER4-p's into that.

Not as convenient for sure, but I now have even better sound and isolation

Try warranty? You might as well try.

I mean, it goes for below $99 at times, so you might as well buy another one. Honestly, I think I would buy another pair, if my breaks for some reason. IMO, they're pretty damn well built. They survived all the hell I gave, like hot showers, rain, submersion in water to clean, jogs, squash, etc...

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #32 of 161
The warranty was only 3 months, so had passed that stage.

TBH, I might get another one, but am pretty happy listening to my Ety's at the moment.

If they drop down low, it might just tempt me back

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #33 of 161
Try warranty? You might as well try.

I mean, it goes for below $99 at times, so you might as well buy another one. Honestly, I think I would buy another pair, if my breaks for some reason. IMO, they're pretty damn well built. They survived all the hell I gave, like hot showers, rain, submersion in water to clean, jogs, squash, etc...

Well then I might just give this a twirl :)

Doesn't the driver housing have a small hole at the top?

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #34 of 161
Well then I might just give this a twirl
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesn't the driver housing have a small hole at the top?

It does, but it doesn't seem to matter in terms of waterproofing. In Korea, they advertised it as life proof(meaning splash/rain proof), so I assumed water won't really damage the drivers. So I submerged them in shallow water and took a hot shower with them. And bingo. No problem whatsoever. Though if the water enters the housing, the sound gets really muddled. If that happens, you need to let it dry for few hours.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #35 of 161
  It does, but it doesn't seem to matter in terms of waterproofing. In Korea, they advertised it as life proof(meaning splash/rain proof), so I assumed water won't really damage the drivers. So I submerged them in shallow water and took a hot shower with them. And bingo. No problem whatsoever. Though if the water enters the housing, the sound gets really muddled. If that happens, you need to let it dry for few hours.

Life-proof sounds like the perfect word for it, as in splashproof but not completely waterproof, same as those found in some camera advertisement. It can withstand short exposure to water like rain, showers, and quick wash, but not something like swimming and situations where it is submerged in large amounts of water or other fine materials. The microphone on mine is a bit shorted and go nuts sometimes, might be due to being caught under really heavy rain and lots of sweating. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #36 of 161
  Life-proof sounds like the perfect word for it, as in splashproof but not completely waterproof, same as those found in some camera advertisement. It can withstand short exposure to water like rain, showers, and quick wash, but not something like swimming and situations where it is submerged in large amounts of water or other fine materials. The microphone on mine is a bit shorted and go nuts sometimes, might be due to being caught under really heavy rain and lots of sweating. 

Hmm...mine survived shallow submersion few times. I clean them in the sink for about 15sec, and mine is still going. I guess the capability varies slightly from model to model. Though it's definitely splash proof. You shouldn't be too concerned with rain. Hot water, on the other hand, is a bit different, but my SBH80 seems to be fine handling hot showers.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #37 of 161
After two showers the phones still work. Still think the stock tips are really bad...

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 161
Well I lost my preferred tips so now I have to deal with the stock ones. Worse driver flex effect, worse seal, worse comfort...

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #40 of 161
I recommend Comply S200 if you want the bass tamed for these, it's the most comfortable tip ever imo. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 161
Has anyone heard RHP EP-SB? How does it compare to SBH80?

I had the RBH EP-SB for about a month, but ultimately returned them.  I will say that they sounded dang good.  They've been on sale off and on recently, but I bought them at list and expected them to sound pretty good.  And, they did.  Sounded extraordinary.  I was completely blown away by the dynamics, bass, all that good stuff.  Kind of reminded me of my Westone 3s, but a little more open if that makes sense.  From a sound perspective, they get 5 out of 5 from me, especially for a workout-focused BT IEM.  However, the fit on them is a little awkward.  They come with a couple different pair of Complys and tried both of them.  They also have some little rubber fins to help stabilize in your ear.  Also provided a few different options for managing cord length.  I could never seem to find the right combination of cord management to where it didn't seem like they were going to fall out.  The rubber fins were IMO too flimsy to fully anchor them in (like the Monster iSport fins).  Also, with the controls being offset to the right side, it made them a little lopsided and that didn't help with the falling out feeling.  They were great in the gym for cardio and lifting and all that good stuff.  But, always a little touch and go when running.  I usually run 4-6 miles per outing.  The second negative for me was that these have a mic.  I had no plans on using these to take / make calls, but that mic hole in the housing would allow sweat to get in and they wouldn't turn on until it aired out after a day or so.  And, that's what ultimately led to me returning them.  RBH was cool about it and gave me a full refund.  They're stand-up guys.  For reference, I've burned through more workout / sport IEMs than I care to admit.  As a side note, take a look at the Atlas Media Ear Buddy on amazon or even the FSL Inertia on there.  Look very similar to the EP-SB for much less.  Toying with the idea of trying one of them out and maybe taping over the mic hole.  BTW, had them paired with my Adidas Smart Run watch that has built-in MP3 BT wireless.  Hope this helps.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #44 of 161
Haven't tried the JLabs yet or the Jaybirds Bluebuds.  Have read mixed reviews on both.  My current exercise / running setup is a BlueAnt Ribbon BT transmitter that I wear on my waistband and paired to my Adidas watch and then some Audio Technica CPK 500s off of the Blue Ant.  They're rated as waterproof.  Put some Complys on them and they do a serviceable job for workouts.  Biggest complaint is the asymetical wire.  Not an issue while working out and running them up underneath your shirt, but sometimes I run with no shirt in the high heat here in STL and that cord is flopping all over the place.  

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #45 of 161
I think olear and I are after the same bogey. Looking for a good sounding BT sports bud. I've been trying all sorts of wired / wireless combinations for the past 3 years. The BlueAnt I referenced in an earlier post went belly up 2 days ago as I was finishing up a run and it started pouring. Today I ordered the Sony NWZ-WS615. It's a BT model with 16GB of on board storage. Price was just shy of $200 on Amazon. There's a 4 GB model too....613. As long as they sound decent and can take a beating, I'll be happy. Will let you know how they work out...pun intended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back