Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Mar 1, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,591 of 1,929

You might want to hold off - I mean AFAIK there will be a PHA-3 replacement... maybe PHA-4 ? At some point and I bet it'll use the 4.4mm TRRS standard 

I'm curious as to what makes you say that? The latest Sony desktop DAC/amp still uses the dual 3.5mm balanced setup as the PHA-3.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,592 of 1,929
Yes I have both. Btw I have 4 sets of dual 3.5 balanced cables I bought at great cost for the HD600, HD700, HD800 and LCD2.

I'm just saying, if you haven't started a cable collection of dual 3.5s yet, then why start ? the 4.4mm trrs is less work. it is a single connector - you don't have to look every time and see which one is left and which one is right.

Sony themselves say this is their new standard - it's on the TA-ZH1ES and the WM1Z AND PHA-2A already. I'm just thinking that future PHA devices, which you might want to upgrade to in the future ( I myself went from PHA-1 to PHA-2 to PHA-3 .. they retain great resale value ) will support it and it seems like a better standard.

There's no downside to the dual 3.5 format, other than the only devices I know that use it are the Pono, PHA-3 and ZH1. Dual XLR3 and single XLR4 are way more common. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,594 of 1,929

You might want to hold off - I mean AFAIK there will be a PHA-3 replacement... maybe PHA-4 ? At some point and I bet it'll use the 4.4mm TRRS standard 

Thanks for the insight.
In the meantime.............?

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,595 of 1,929
For all PHA-3 lovers out there, which is the closest in signature as portable DAP? NW-ZX2? I tried the WM1A but the soundstage was much narrower than PHA3.

I sold my ZX2 long time ago, but I remember not as good but similar to PHA3.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #1,596 of 1,929

Thanks for the insight.
In the meantime.............?

Stay with a single ended for a while ? Btw. 4.4mm TRRS is ratified as a Japanese standard now. So I'm pretty sure in the future  you'll see less and less of the dual 3.5s. However if you're planning on geting the TA-ZH1ES, then you can just go ahead and get dual 3.5s. That's what happened to me. And listening in balanced is much better out of that than out of the PHA-3, IMO. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,597 of 1,929
  For all PHA-3 lovers out there, which is the closest in signature as portable DAP? NW-ZX2? I tried the WM1A but the soundstage was much narrower than PHA3.

I sold my ZX2 long time ago, but I remember not as good but similar to PHA3.

WM1Z ? I don't think you're going to find much that is similar to the PHA-3 out there. Maybe the PHA-2A in balanced ? 

There is a portable called the Peachtree Shift that also uses a 9018. But all the implementations can be different soundwise AFAIK. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,599 of 1,929
Can someone help me understand the difference between using a PHA3 as DAC/AMP on a Xperia phone vs a Walkman ZX2?

I hope in both cases the PHA3 will do the same audio conversion and amplification.. Hence the output would be almost the same?

With Walkman, you should use the WM-port cable. See pic. With Xperia phone, use the also included Micro-USB to Micro-USB cable, not in the pic.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #1,600 of 1,929
Thanks for the response. My question is more concerned on the Audio quality, I find no difference in terms of Audio quality when using the PHA3 on a ZX2 or the Xperia mobile. Technically the ZX2 DAC is bypassed to PHA3, so will it be right thing to put the ZX2 on sale?

Except for the looks and feel, I am not happy with the power output on the ZX2, (ZX2 S-master = 15mW @ 16 Ohms) Sony is charging a fortune for the ZX2 and still wanting us to use an external DAC/AMP? or am I overlooking something here?

Making the question simple which picture makes more sense? I find both these combos to offer the same audio quality

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,602 of 1,929
There is no difference in sq. You are just sending files to the pha3 with either deiveces and letting the pha3 do all the work. Dacs on both devices will be bypassed.

I would just use the Xperia

Thanks, thats all I wanted to know.  Cunning game by Sony and the ZX2 is up for sale.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #1,603 of 1,929

Less power but has balanced. I love the PHA-3 It is semi-portable while mojo is portable.
Both have good stage and detail retrieval. Mojo is kinda mid centric IMO. Both on par with each other so becomes lifestyle/listening style that determines "better"

Some said Mojo pales to PHA-3 in balanced mode in terms of sound stage. If Mojo can totally compare with PHA-3 in balanced mode, then Mojo is better buy since you avoid the balanced cable lock in.
Is there any thorough comparison between Mojo and PHA-3? 

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #1,604 of 1,929
  Some said Mojo pales to PHA-3 in balanced mode in terms of sound stage. If Mojo can totally compare with PHA-3 in balanced mode, then Mojo is better buy since you avoid the balanced cable lock in.
Is there any thorough comparison between Mojo and PHA-3? 

​ I had the Mojo for the second time (I bought it twice) and compared with PHA-3 directly. I ended up selling the Mojo again but I have considered buying it again because it is a classic step up tech wise. For now the soundstage and tonality of the PHA-3 is better for my library of music.  I use the FiiO X5iii for portable and PHA-3 for semi portable. I never ever use a PC for my source of listening.
Personal style/view

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,605 of 1,929
If you're using PHA DAC/amp, use the Sony Hi-Res Audio app for Mac or PC. The sound is 100x better than iTunes or other music apps. 

For Mac: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=PHA3&upd_id=11037&os_group_id=3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back