Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 7, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #1,561 of 1,922

My chick is hot if short Japanese girls with semi long hair and rocking bodies is your thing so I'm all set. How you doin?

Hmmm..

Anyways

Thanks for that... I've laughing for last 15 minutes 
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,563 of 1,922
Feb 7, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,564 of 1,922

Never got less than 8 hours.

The battery claims around here are puzzling. My mojo drained in a day almost daily. This thing is a solid 8 hours of listening time via OTG to a Nuetron having Note 4
i woulda sold it if it were around 4 hours as that is ridiculous.

you must got one with a super battery...  hrs of usage for mine is around what its advertised on sony's site, 5hrs before the light starts to blink.

Might have to try a mojo again.  I love my pha-3 but going balanced on this thing is a bitch, compared to other balanced amps where the trrs jack is more widely used.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #1,565 of 1,922

you must got one with a super battery...  hrs of usage for mine is around what its advertised on sony's site, 5hrs before the light starts to blink.

Might have to try a mojo again.  I love my pha-3 but going balanced on this thing is a bitch, compared to other balanced amps where the trrs jack is more widely used.

Yeah Sony's proprietary stuff is ridiculous.
My battery life is a pleasant surprise. i read the thread mostly after i bought and figured i would keep it very briefly but it goes much longer than others mentioned

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,566 of 1,922
I'm listening to Morrison Hotel DSD bought from acoustic sounds and using vox as my playback app. Its a dsd file but the dsd light won't light up on my pha-3. can anyone explain to me why the dsd light won't show? 

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #1,567 of 1,922
probably because your player is converting it to PCM already. Try using a proper player with real DSD support direct to the dac. Like Audirvana on the Mac. DSD tracks always light up that light using that thing. 

Not that it matters; DSD is just a weird fad. I'd much rather listen to Tidal MQA stuff in hi res mode than DSD. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,569 of 1,922

so im not listening to the full capability of the dsd file? 

No.  However, depending on your headphones and your ears you may not notice the difference.  Sony has a free player call Hi-Res Audio Player which you can download and will send the DSD files to the PHA-3 without conversion (the DSD light does go on).  Here is the link to the Sony player:
https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dna/sony-uda1-srsx9-hi-res-audio-player-win-ver124/MDR-1ADAC

There is a Mac version as well.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,570 of 1,922

i have it, but i noticed it wouldn't play my files. it only plays my iTunes files and hdtracks. it won't play acoustic sounds tracks i bought. so i downloaded vox! sigh god i hate computers. btw i have sennheiser 800s and pretty good ears i think. 

i just checked my dsd file morrison hotel from acoustic sounds. tried adding it to my sony hi res software player. says non playable file..now what? :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #1,571 of 1,922

i have it, but i noticed it wouldn't play my files. it only plays my iTunes files and hdtracks. it won't play acoustic sounds tracks i bought. so i downloaded vox! sigh god i hate computers. btw i have sennheiser 800s and pretty good ears i think. 

i just checked my dsd file morrison hotel from acoustic sounds. tried adding it to my sony hi res software player. says non playable file..now what? :)

Thsi is strange.  I have Emilie-Claire Barlow's "Clear Day" (128fs DSF format) and Nat "King" Cole's "The Very Thought of You" (64fs DSF format) albums from Acoustic Sound and they play fine on the Sony player.  The PHA-3 DSD light is lit during playback.  You may want to try downloading the file again from Acoustic Sound. If this doesn't work then I would contact Acoustic Sound directly.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,572 of 1,922

ok thanks for the info. i notice on top of the hi res audio player app it lists all the different files. off wav alas flac dsf but no dsd... but isn't dsf the same as the dsd file? 

btw i just bought 2 new albums from acoustic sounds Let it bleed and elvis is back. already to enjoy whether its true dsd or not, and the battery is dead.. so now I'm charging it to the back of my computer.. can't i listen when its charging? i plug it back in and it plays thru my iMac. sigh 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,573 of 1,922
DSD is a way of storing data.  The two formats are DSF and DFF.  The internal audio stream is identical between the two formats but DSF allows for metadata (tags etc.) to be stored within the DSF.  DFF on has the audio stream.  I've stopped purchasing DSD files as I can't hear much difference between these and a 24/192 FLAC file.  Also, the latter are usually less expensive.  On some recordings I have the impression that the DSD reproduction is fuller (if that makes any sense).  However, this may also be my brain playing games.  

I don't believe you can use the PHA-3 while it is charging.  

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,574 of 1,922
oh well, just shot an email to acoustic sounds maybe ill hear something. like i say i was gonna stick with my sony hi res audio player software but then it wouldn't play my dsd files so went looking for something else. vox seems to be cool but hate to have all these different apps when 1 is sufficient to handle all my files. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #1,575 of 1,922

Users who are viewing this thread

Back