Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Sep 4, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #976 of 1,922
how is the zx-2 in combination with the PHA-3?
I took delivery of it yesterday so only had about 20 minutes to play with it. I intend to sink a few beers tonight and get intimate with it. First impressions are that it's mind blowingly good. Everything seems to go up a notch. At this point I'm not sure if they are great partners or if the pha-3 is that good it is simply making the zx2 redundant. It also helps that I'm adding the rs1e into the mix. Make no mistake the zx2/rs1e combo was extremely good indeed but this is now on a different level.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #977 of 1,922
I took delivery of it yesterday so only had about 20 minutes to play with it. I intend to sink a few beers tonight and get intimate with it. First impressions are that it's mind blowingly good. Everything seems to go up a notch. At this point I'm not sure if they are great partners or if the pha-3 is that good it is simply making the zx2 redundant. It also helps that I'm adding the rs1e into the mix. Make no mistake the zx2/rs1e combo was extremely good indeed but this is now on a different level.

thank you for replying :) please leave some more impressions whenever u have the time, thanks in advance man.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #978 of 1,922
I run the PHA-3 with my ZX2 and in balanced mode and the battery life for the PHA-3 is rather short. Any reasons for such and tips I could have to make the battery life on the PHA-3 longer?

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #979 of 1,922
Don't think my question is relevant, but can pha-3 optical out play from older discmans with optical out? Is anyone using this route? I have been using it with a fiio and can confirm it works this route.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #980 of 1,922

Yes indeed, the PHA 3 is amazing sounding. I used it with a Z7 in balanced and the combination was sublime. Sadly I sold it as I really didn't need it so keeping that kind of money tied up was foolish, but I'm really glad that I got to have the PHA 3 for a few months. ​

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #981 of 1,922
I have a question concerning the PHA 3 Japanese model.
With the ZX2 and hd files the hd light lights up.
However when I use say a Cowon P1 using the optical input then HD files play fine however the hd light on the PHA 3 does not light up.

Does any one use the optical in with a DAP and does the hd light indeed light.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #982 of 1,922
After about a year of contemplation I received a Japanese PHA-3 just yesterday to complement my Z7 (both of which I initially heard at IFA 2014 and now bought just before IFA 2015 :wink:

I've loved the ESS DACs since I got a Benchmark DAC2 last year, so getting the same DAC (and, as I understand, not the mobile version) in a portable package was something I simply could not resist. Yes, 5h battery life is far from perfect, but that chip obviously needs some serious power to operate (the DAC2 gets rather hot as well btw).

I have yet to try out other headphones besides the Z7 (and make an adapter 2x 3,5mm -> XL4), but that combination really is nice. Bass feels more controlled than with the HP-P1 I used to drive the Z7 during my holidays, and I think the slightly dry bass I always liked about the ESS DAC just fits the Z7 very well (same effect using the Z7 on the Benchmark).

Besides the very good build quality I really like the small details such as the two rubber rails on top and bottom that allow me to put a device on top without scratching either one.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #983 of 1,922
  After about a year of contemplation I received a Japanese PHA-3 just yesterday to complement my Z7 (both of which I initially heard at IFA 2014 and now bought just before IFA 2015 :wink:

I've loved the ESS DACs since I got a Benchmark DAC2 last year, so getting the same DAC (and, as I understand, not the mobile version) in a portable package was something I simply could not resist. Yes, 5h battery life is far from perfect, but that chip obviously needs some serious power to operate (the DAC2 gets rather hot as well btw).

I have yet to try out other headphones besides the Z7 (and make an adapter 2x 3,5mm -> XL4), but that combination really is nice. Bass feels more controlled than with the HP-P1 I used to drive the Z7 during my holidays, and I think the slightly dry bass I always liked about the ESS DAC just fits the Z7 very well (same effect using the Z7 on the Benchmark).

Besides the very good build quality I really like the small details such as the two rubber rails on top and bottom that allow me to put a device on top without scratching either one.

Totally agree with you brother. I have since sold my PHA 3 and Z7, but it was an excellent combination. I could have afforded to keep the PHA 3, but I really had no need so I just couldn't keep it as it was getting seriously under-used and I felt it needed to go where it could be enjoyed. I miss them both.

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #984 of 1,922
one silly question, why when i using balanced cable with MDR-1A in PHA-3, there is no sound if the source is from analog audio in? (i tested the unbalanced 3.5mm has sound). is it due to the source from analog line-in 3.5mm which already unbalanced. so sony cannot split them?

BTW, It is no issue if connect to sony a17 sony digital port as input...or using usb lightning cable from ipad air2

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #985 of 1,922
  one silly question, why when i using balanced cable with MDR-1A in PHA-3, there is no sound if the source is from analog audio in? (i tested the unbalanced 3.5mm has sound). is it due to the source from analog line-in 3.5mm which already unbalanced. so sony cannot split them?

BTW, It is no issue if connect to sony a17 sony digital port as input...or using usb lightning cable from ipad air2

As I understand it the PHA-3 does not invert the analog signal as would be needed for balanced operation with an unbalanced input signal. It uses the balanced output of the DAC chip to offer balanced output from its digital inputs though.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #986 of 1,922
Oh, and yesterday I made an adapter to use the PHA-3 balanced output with XL4 connectors:

2x 3,5mm TRS -> XL4 female:
Left tip -> Pin 1
Left Ring -> Pin 2
Right tip -> Pin 3
Right Ring -> Pin 4
Left+Right sleeve -> shield

Next up: opposite direction XL4 male -> 2 3,5mm jacks to use my Z7 on the V281 balanced out. More out of interest than necessity...

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #987 of 1,922
It's getting better and better by the day, I listened to Money for Nothing `high res` last night and was left blown away.  Yes it's a lot of cash to spend on a portable hi-fi but I believe it's worth every penny.  As I type this I'm listening to a 128k stream `minimalradio` through my AKG K550s and it's all very tight.  Granted this set-up wouldn't suit someone who likes their music bassy but it is all so controlled.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #990 of 1,922
  Oh, and yesterday I made an adapter to use the PHA-3 balanced output with XL4 connectors:

2x 3,5mm TRS -> XL4 female:
Left tip -> Pin 1
Left Ring -> Pin 2
Right tip -> Pin 3
Right Ring -> Pin 4
Left+Right sleeve -> shield

Next up: opposite direction XL4 male -> 2 3,5mm jacks to use my Z7 on the V281 balanced out. More out of interest than necessity...

Great job!  I made an identical adapter about a year back and I can run all my balanced phones with the 4-pin XLR using that adapter from the PHA3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back