Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Sep 28, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #991 of 1,922

As I understand it the PHA-3 does not invert the analog signal as would be needed for balanced operation with an unbalanced input signal. It uses the balanced output of the DAC chip to offer balanced output from its digital inputs though.

This is correct.  Digital only in order to work in balanced mode.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #994 of 1,922
  Great job!  I made an identical adapter about a year back and I can run all my balanced phones with the 4-pin XLR using that adapter from the PHA3.

Thanks!
In fact I have only 2 headphones that are cabled for symmetrical use (Z7 and a modified old T1), so I did that more out of curiosity and to have it available for meets etc.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #995 of 1,922
Loving the versatility of this little beast!
Plug in a Z7, it's smooth and easy going; plug in something more revealing like a Fidelio S2 it becomes a critical bitch and trash half of my record collection.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #996 of 1,922
If I pair the ZX2 with the PHA-3 with the WM port cable and connect it to the AC Adapter, would it charge the ZX2 during playback?

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #997 of 1,922
If I pair the ZX2 with the PHA-3 with the WM port cable and connect it to the AC Adapter, would it charge the ZX2 during playback?

It will not charge during playback. That's the biggest flaw of Sony daps however, but you can now buy a digital out charging dock for around $150.00 from Japan.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #998 of 1,922
Wow that's dumb.. so that means if I rubber band both units together to use around the house, when it's time to charge them I have to hook up two cables one to each unit from the mains?

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #999 of 1,922
  Wow that's dumb.. so that means if I rubber band both units together to use around the house, when it's time to charge them I have to hook up two cables one to each unit from the mains?

Yes.  That's why all of us hate WMport.  This is less of an issue for the ZX2 given its amazing life.  C'mon now dude...your DD9 didn't last more than 4-5 hours...if that all.  The biggest shortcoming on the PHA-3 is definitely the battery life.  Due to EU regs, the EU PHA-3 runs on main voltage only hence the name PHA-3AC.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,000 of 1,922
  Yes.  That's why all of us hate WMport.  This is less of an issue for the ZX2 given its amazing life.  C'mon now dude...your DD9 didn't last more than 4-5 hours...if that all.  The biggest shortcoming on the PHA-3 is definitely the battery life.  Due to EU regs, the EU PHA-3 runs on main voltage only hence the name PHA-3AC.

It's not even the battery life that I'm concerned with (I don't listen for more than an hour at a time anyway), but that constant swapping of cable heads on the WMport might wear it out? idk

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,002 of 1,922
Guys, I need some help. If I have a balanced 3.5mm trrs plug used for the zx2,will it still work with the pha 3? Or am I going to get sound out of 1 channel?

Yes, it will work on the PHA-3 single-end jack.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,004 of 1,922
  AFAIK, TRRS in single-end jack is balanced. Then which is better, the LR Balanced or the TRRS?

TIA.

I think the single-ended jack is just that: single ended. Using a balanced headphone with a TRRS connector will just give you sound on one channel (OK, there might even be a position where both channels work, but still single ended).

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,005 of 1,922

I think the single-ended jack is just that: single ended. Using a balanced headphone with a TRRS connector will just give you sound on one channel (OK, there might even be a position where both channels work, but still single ended).

3.5mm TRRS plugs have the two grounds adjacent. If you plug them into a single-ended headphone out that doesn't support mic/controls, the two grounds will both connect to the jack's ground. If the device supports controls (like an iDevice or android phone) then one pole will be for the controls and you will only get one channel.  I have tried many DAPs and amps that don't support controls and they usually work with balanced 3.5mm TRRS headphones.  This is not true for the AK 2.5mm TRRS because it orders the signals differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back