Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Aug 31, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #961 of 1,922
Quote:
  Not sure if anyone answered the last guy to ask, so I'll ask myself.  Has anyone tried to use this device using a regular usb OTG cable, rather than the proprietary OTG cable with the extra pin that sony supplies?

I'm using pha3 with "el cheapo" otg cable (micro-micro usb) with xperia phone, there is nothing "proprietary" about the cable - extra pin is part of the OTG "mode" and as far as I know there are no electronics/elements in the cable and it works.

Please notice - OTG is not on the pha3 "part/side" - the phone/tablet (xperia in my case) or other android device needs to switch to usb otg mode to "see" connected usb devices (like pha3).

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #962 of 1,922
thanks for the responses but I think my question may have been misunderstood by the 2nd poster. The cable i've seen in all videos/pics is proprietary. I believe it is the end that goes into the pha 3, there's the regular micro usb plug, then maybe a mm over there's this extra part of plug. I'm sorry I don't know how to explain the part better.  If you look at a "normal" OTG cable and then the sony, you will know exactly the piece I am talking about.
Thanks again for the fast responses guys.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #963 of 1,922
  thanks for the responses but I think my question may have been misunderstood by the 2nd poster. The cable i've seen in all videos/pics is proprietary. I believe it is the end that goes into the pha 3, there's the regular micro usb plug, then maybe a mm over there's this extra part of plug. I'm sorry I don't know how to explain the part better.  If you look at a "normal" OTG cable and then the sony, you will know exactly the piece I am talking about.
Thanks again for the fast responses guys.

Yes, I know - additional "pin" that is in/near the micro usb plug - I can only guess what is it.
But my point is - You don't need this original cable to make pha3 work.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #964 of 1,922
I see, thank you. I was hoping it would work w/o the Sony cable, otherwise I would not be buying a pha3. I haven't found a site online that has replacement Sony cables. Ordering from Sony directly would run no less than 30$ I'm certain.
Thanks again guys.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #965 of 1,922
Return this unit and buy "normal" version with internal battery.

I have just received my "normal" PHA-3 version direct from Accesory Jack!!! The first 10 minutes works fine...

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #966 of 1,922
  Quote:

I'm using pha3 with "el cheapo" otg cable (micro-micro usb) with xperia phone, there is nothing "proprietary" about the cable - extra pin is part of the OTG "mode" and as far as I know there are no electronics/elements in the cable and it works.

Please notice - OTG is not on the pha3 "part/side" - the phone/tablet (xperia in my case) or other android device needs to switch to usb otg mode to "see" connected usb devices (like pha3).

I couldn't get it to work with sony ultra. Did you actually have to set it up in phone's settings to work like that? 
Im looking under usb connectivity, i only have mass storage mode or media transfer mode.
Maybe Ultra can only work with original cable?

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #967 of 1,922
  I couldn't get it to work with sony ultra. Did you actually have to set it up in phone's settings to work like that? 
Im looking under usb connectivity, i only have mass storage mode or media transfer mode.
Maybe Ultra can only work with original cable?

Actually, I also use pha3 with xperia ultra, I'm on latest firmware (android 5.0.2). But I have xperia sp with android 4.3 and it works the same.
First, You need to establish usb-otg working - there is no software options for that, there is only usb-otg cable that You plug into usb socket of xperia ultra - and the phone will switch to otg mode by itself (but You don't see it).

If You have usb-otg cable/adapter that ends with "normal" usb socket, try to connecting a pen-drive or a keyboard - just to see if it works.
If You now don't see pen-drive on Your android system - that means phone didn't switched into otg mode - You need another/different otg cable/adapter (most of those cheap cables will work, but not all of them).

One last thing - You need to "power up"/"switch on" pha3 before You plug it into xperia.

There is a compatibility table on pha3 official page - xperia ultra and sp are on it - I can only add and confirm they are working with not original usb cable.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #968 of 1,922
  Going through the thread, and kinda looks like everything has been said already :)
But still wanted to add my own experiences with PHA-3.

Bought it about a month ago, and am using it everyday for about 8 hours, sometimes more.
I have the PHA-3ac version since i live in Poland.
I pair it mainly with my AKG K701s with a balanced cable, sometimes with Shure se535 if i feel like isolating myself a bit from surrounding office :)

Impressions:
PHA-3 + AKG K701 - AMAZING, the headhpnes that i once though are shy in lows suddenly turned into overally great sounding headphones, can't really say anything bad about them anymore. 
Ofcourse they are still not basshead type of headphones, but the lows are fantastic now. Just how i love them to be, still very precise, fast, textured, but also deep and ritch.
I recommend this setup with 100% confidence.
Now if anyone tells me k701s are shy in bass, ill simply answer: you are not providing them with enough juice.

Now for the PHA-3 + shure se535 setup.
It sounds great, but then when i hook shures right in to say sansa clip+ it still sounds great.
On PHA-3 i could swear the lows are ritcher, but then i switch back to sansa again, and im not sure anymore :)
The difference here, if there is one, is very subtle.

Additional things that i noticed, and wanted to share.

When i listen to PHA-3 + K701s very quietly, below certain volume level on PHA, right headphone plays quiter then left one.
I found a solution for it. All you have to do if it happens to you, turn down the volume on whatever you are playing music from, and turn it up on PHA.
Sound becomes perfectly balanced, and i could swear it sounds better too, im guessing because then PHA is actually pushing more power to the headphones.

One time i managed to overheat my PHA.
It was lying on the pillow, and it was a really hot day.
My guess is, even though it doesn't have vents on the bottom, it still uses it's shell as a radiator.
After overheat the unit turned off, i gave it 5 minutes turned back on and it was working again.
Took it off the pillow too :)

So that's it, not sure if this brings anything new to discussion but there you have it.

I'm very happy to own it :)

Good to hear it's driving the AKG's just fine. I have a Q701 myself so would expect similar results. Not having read all 60-odd pages, can this Sony PHA3 take the digital line out from an iPhone via the USB to lightning cable?

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #970 of 1,922
I've bit the bullet and have ordered the PHA-3.  I'm a pom living in Oz, and ordered this from an Aussie website but used my UK bank card, it's ended costing me 445GBP (due to the Pound being so strong against the dollar right now).  Also this being the Australian version it has the rechargeable battery so is portable.  My set up right now is the Sony ZX2 and Grado RS1E, plus I have the AKG K550 and also the Phillips Fidelio L1.  I just felt it was a bargain which needed to be purchased, an itch I just had to scratch.  

I'll report back how it sounds. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #971 of 1,922
  I've bit the bullet and have ordered the PHA-3.  I'm a pom living in Oz, and ordered this from an Aussie website but used my UK bank card, it's ended costing me 445GBP (due to the Pound being so strong against the dollar right now).  Also this being the Australian version it has the rechargeable battery so is portable.  My set up right now is the Sony ZX2 and Grado RS1E, plus I have the AKG K550 and also the Phillips Fidelio L1.  I just felt it was a bargain which needed to be purchased, an itch I just had to scratch.  

I'll report back how it sounds. 

I think that price was good indeed. Just remember to get/use right cable for Your headphones to use pha3 in balanced mode.
So, congratulations!

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #972 of 1,922

How do I `balance` my Grado's?  I thought the balance thing was for just for the high-end Sony headphones??

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #974 of 1,922

How do I `balance` my Grado's?  I thought the balance thing was for just for the high-end Sony headphones??

Usually, You just need the right cable - but Your headphones doesn't have detachable cable, so this is getting more complicated.

Imagine that Your headphones are out of warranty and a dog/cat just used the cable as a "chewing gum" (true story) and now they doesn't work, but You still love them and want them fixed.
So, You need to "re-cable" them. You can do it Yourself, send it to company/manufacturer (expensive) or... find a "local" person that can will do this "service" for You.
At this point, if You found a local "guy" that will "re-cable" headphones for You, just need to tell him - "make balanced cable for sony pha3 and adapter for single ended".

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #975 of 1,922
OK I understand now. I think that is something for the future. For now I'll just enjoy my current set-up. Thanks for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back