Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #106 of 1,922
Now don't get me wrong, USB charging as an option is great.  I just need to be able to listen while charging, and that's only while plugged in to a wall outlet....

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #108 of 1,922
Now don't get me wrong, USB charging as an option is great.  I just need to be able to listen while charging, and that's only while plugged in to a wall outlet....

No, you can listen the same way with usb one too, but what the manual is saying contradicts itself so not sure if it is poss to charge and listen in any case..

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #115 of 1,922

Also in stock at Sony Store

http://store.sony.com/portable-hi-res-dac-headphone-amplifier-zid27-PHA3/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dpha-3

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #116 of 1,922
I'm very attracted by this Sony (a little less by the price tag
ph34r.gif
) but I couldn't understand a couple of things:

1) Is it possible to use the balanced input with every headphones, and what kind of cable would it be needed?

2) Is it compatible with a generic android device (let's say a Nexus 7)?

confused_face_2.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #117 of 1,922
I think you meant to put it this way:

Quote:
ph34r.gif

1) Is it possible to use the balanced input output with every headphones, and what kind of cable would it be needed?

confused_face_2.gif

1)  Spending enough money, just about any headphone can be re-cabled as needed.  Which headphones are you considering?

2)  Support for Android devices is only via the Analog input - which means you would be using the Android device's internal DAC and its amp - then double-amping with the PHA-3 amp.  Yuck!

See:   http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en1/cover/level2_02.html

For digital input from an Android device, check out the OPPO HA-2 (available in early 2015):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737787/oppo-to-reveal-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones-and-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-at-rmaf/75#post_10955803

cc2fb382_IMG_1732_OPPO_HA-2_with_iPad_Mini_and_OPPO_PM-1_04_x960.jpeg

This critter has an ESS9018-M2 DAC and a Class AB amp section, supports iOS, Android, and analog inputs, includes a fast-charging 4.5 Amp wall wart, but can also be charged from a laptop USB port if you're not in a hurry, and get this - it even has the ability to charge your mobile phone on the go, while (or not while) playing music (with an expected reduction in play time, of course).  Testing has shown play times of about 8 hours on a full charge, using both the DAC and the amp to headphone out, with about a three-hour recharge time.

Note:  The released version may be different - my comments are related to a Beta prototype.  

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #118 of 1,922
ph34r.gif

1) Is it possible to use the balanced input with every headphones, and what kind of cable would it be needed?

confused_face_2.gif

If you mean a balanced analog input, like from an AK240 or a Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo db, then no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back