Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #92 of 1,922
I guess this means yes?
Quote Sony website:

Battery Charging (Approx) : Charging via USB: Appox. 15 hours from empty to fullRed battery charge LED on during chargingLED indicator turns off automatically once fully chargedUnit will not charge during playback

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #93 of 1,922
I guess this means yes?
Quote Sony website:

Battery Charging (Approx) : Charging via USB: Appox. 15 hours from empty to fullRed battery charge LED on during chargingLED indicator turns off automatically once fully chargedUnit will not charge during playback

Is there a wall wart included for faster charging?

edit - looks like no, according to Sony's site.

And it's showing as "in stock" on Sony USA...

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #94 of 1,922

Is there a wall wart included for faster charging?

edit - looks like no, according to Sony's site.

And it's showing as "in stock" on Sony USA...

Charging a small device by USB port is perceived by the masses as more convenient than lugging around a wall wart and power cord (for much faster charging... that could have facilitated use of a larger battery... that could have allowed longer play times and/or higher voltages in the amp section... that could have lead to better performance with a broader range of less efficient headphones.)

But Sony is not a boutique manufacturer - they must cater to the majority to secure a decent sales volume and the majority of buyers readily appreciate the size and convenience factors while not understanding performance factors. With 320mW rms into 32-Ohms, the PHA-3 has come a long way from the 90 mW rms offered by the PHA-2, so just going by the power spec, performance could be very, very good with moderately efficient headphones. But a tiny market segment that Sony doesn't have to worry about, will still try to use the PHA-3 with inefficient headphones that are best served by a lot more power.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #98 of 1,922
Oh dear..Sony...I sometimes feel you will never learn...
Check this guys.
The manual is out and it is the most confusing thing you've ever seen.
It says the unit can only be charged when off, yet below it has Tips section saying you can use it whilst charging..doesn't get any more controversial than that:laughing::grin:
Also apparently you can charge it in 6 hours with ac dedicated charger and 15 hours from a pc, but even that is not made clear properly.
It's unbelievable a multi billion company like Sony which i love and want to give more money cant put a clear and normal manual out there..:scream::scream::scream:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/pha-3/v1/en1/contents/TP0000537271.html

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #99 of 1,922
"AC-UD20 (sold separately)".....

It's $999 and the charger isn't even included.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #101 of 1,922
You really don't need it, i am sure you can use any usb one.
This Sony one is old, not much in stock and its 1500 mah, im sure if i use my 2A one it'll charge it faster.
But if you insist ive seen it for $8 on ebay:wink:
Anyway thats not the biggest problem by far.
It seems they haven't sorted the charging problem despite the 2 mini usbs

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #104 of 1,922
You really don't need it, i am sure you can use any usb one.
This Sony one is old, not much in stock and its 1500 mah, im sure if i use my 2A one it'll charge it faster.
But if you insist ive seen it for $8 on ebay:wink:
Anyway thats not the biggest problem by far.
It seems they haven't sorted the charging problem despite the 2 mini usbs

I'm going to kindly disagree with you on this one.  Keeping a USB port live for 15 hours to charge my PHA-3 is not acceptable.  If I get this, I have to get a plug in charger, unfortunately...

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #105 of 1,922
I m
I'm going to kindly disagree with you on this one.  Keeping a USB port live for 15 hours to charge my PHA-3 is not acceptable.  If I get this, I have to get a plug in charger, unfortunately...

I meant if you already have a plug in one(i do) you prob don't need to buy a sony dedicated one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back