Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,831 of 2,024
  Of course, as soon as i know. Back to my ol' E444 for the moment.

I've been listening to my E345 all this morning while my F807 charges and have to say I am always surprised at how great the sound quality is.

the E series may not have all the bells and whistles (i.e. touch screen,android,wi fi etc) but for a relatively inexpensive pmp they really do prove that even on their most affordable players Sony don't skimp when it comes to great sound.

ps - if i sound like a Sony fanboy its because i am 
atsmile.gif
(at least when it comes to their Walkman series) I also still have a Sony MD player (MZ NF-610) and an MP3CD player (D-NE330) I pull out of the desk drawer dust off and listen to every now and again just for a little diversity and nostalgia's sake.

I hope you get your F806 back soon and everything is fine with it.I'm also curious to know if they can fix it or will have to replace the entire player (or maybe replace the board/chips etc inside). either way best of luck.

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,832 of 2,024
  I dont have any problems with my Z or F (Yes, bought another F since it was on clearance and couldnt resist letting it go
atsmile.gif
) I just listen with 320Kbps files and stock player. No internet. No android 'inquisitiveness' and no 3rd party apps.

I think most of you are playing around too much with your toys!
deadhorse.gif

We're the "risk-takers" :p

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,833 of 2,024
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,834 of 2,024
  Looking to get a line-out cable for this. There is a $9.99 FiiO branded one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCI2CI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AFKH6OU9WWNFS

and also this one on eBay for just over 3x as much: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281103899579?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is there going to be a difference? Is the eBay one going to be superior build or sound quality?

Thanks!

Yeah, the Ebay one is better in both SQ and build quality.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,836 of 2,024
Ever since ordering my F807 from Japan a couple months back I have been wanting to find a suitable case to protect the player both from damage in case of accidental drops,and to keep it from getting scratched up in order to keep it looking nice and new for as long as possible.

I looked all over the internet even went to local phone stores and walmart and best buy etc in hopes of finding a close fit for the F800 series player,yet I couldn't find anything stateside (online or in brick and mortar stores) that fit the player and allowed access to the necessary buttons. So i finally said 'to hell with it' and went ahead and ordered the 'CKH-NWF800XM for NW-F800 series' from Japan off of E-bay as it comes with a screen protector and is made by Sony specifically for the F800 series Walkman's. and all i can say now is..Wow!...what a shameless and complete rip off on Sony's behalf !

In all honesty,I can't blame the seller (although a better (or rather ANY) description at all of the case would have been nice) but after all, what was he/she going to say ? 'Hi folks, here is a case which in the picture looks to be a thick malleable rubber material,although in reality it is nothing more than a thin piece of hard brittle plastic which will not only be easy to scratch up making it look like utter junk in the first few weeks,but if you drop your player,it will shatter into a hundred pieces offering absolutely ZERO amount of shock protection making this case useless!happy shopping!" .

so uh,no,obviously the seller isn't going to tell you that.

and yes (facepalm) i should have asked what it was made of first,i know that (now).

I suppose I could return it and ask for a refund of the $36 it cost,but I would not only forfeit the extra $15 I spent on expedited shipping (which is all that was offered),I would also have to pay another $10-15 to ship it back to the seller,wait for confirmation they had received it etc etc..,so in the end its cheaper just to keep it for now and chalk this unpleasant experience up to a life lesson.

Anyway, that's enough whinging from me,I just wanted to let anyone considering purchasing this case to save your hard earned cash and instead spend it on a better case such as the CKS-NWF800-L Blue Soft Case (pictured below) which at least won't scratch or shatter during a fall and costs the same. it may not show off the players color,but it at least has a little more shock protection.i know it's what I am saving up for now.

live and learn.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,838 of 2,024
Sorry that happened.

Thanks,yeah me too.I just wish I had known before hand which is why i wanted to share that news just in case anyone else had thought of purchasing that particular case. It does look nice (for now because its brand new) it just stunned me how fragile feeling and thin the plastic is,especially as it is a genuine Sony case and not a knock off or third party offering. I've made peace with it for now and will order that other cloth case later.i've kinda chalked it up to one of those "if thats the worst thing that happens this week,then i'm doing great,there are far worse things in life than a flimsy case" kind of attitude
smile_phones.gif

oh btw i meant to mention that those cloth cases also come in other colors,I just posted the blue one because it was the one I am looking at.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #1,839 of 2,024
  Thanks,yeah me too.I just wish I had known before hand which is why i wanted to share that news just in case anyone else had thought of purchasing that particular case. It does look nice (for now because its brand new) it just stunned me how fragile feeling and thin the plastic is,especially as it is a genuine Sony case and not a knock off or third party offering. I've made peace with it for now and will order that other cloth case later.i've kinda chalked it up to one of those "if thats the worst thing that happens this week,then i'm doing great,there are far worse things in life than a flimsy case" kind of attitude
smile_phones.gif

oh btw i meant to mention that those cloth cases also come in other colors,I just posted the blue one because it was the one I am looking at.

xylin6; Sorry to hear about the build quality.  I was recently in Japan and purchased the CKS-NWF800 in black for my F807.  It does have a nice feel to it, but a small word of warning; the fit is only ~95% perfect.  Along the front edges, where Sony uses rubber to line the edges, it just doesn't quite hug/wrap around the Walkman as tight as I would have liked, meaning that once you put the case on, you can easily pry the rubber edges off the Walkman, especially if you are fidgety.  It's a extremely minor complaint, but just a word of caution.  I bought it for 2000 yen, so about $20 US.  It definitely protects the Walkman though and I imagine if you were to drop it, there wouldn't be any damage to the case or the Walkman, which are the most important things.  On another point, while there, I did purchase a purple silicone case for my wife's Walkman F806.  It was not Sony branded, but it fits quite well and provides access to all physical buttons and covers the WM port.  It's made by simplism.  

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,840 of 2,024
@ brjoce -

A silicone case is in fact what I had wanted (as it provides a good grip,covers the player and offers a fair amount of shock protection plus doesn't get scratched up looking)
although I had not been able to find one, until you gave me the name 'simplism' and then with a quick google search i found exactly the type of case i would like right here and for only $22.http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hXModMu4bl4J:global.rakuten.com/en/store/getplus/item/2437161/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thank you very much for that information and as well for letting me know about the somewhat loose fit of the CKS-NWF800.I also found the silicone case on Japanese Amazon in other colors including clear.I am going to try and contact them and see if they will ship over seas to the states and what it would cost.Thank You again,that was very helpful!!!

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,842 of 2,024
  @ brjoce -

A silicone case is in fact what I had wanted (as it provides a good grip,covers the player and offers a fair amount of shock protection plus doesn't get scratched up looking)
although I had not been able to find one, until you gave me the name 'simplism' and then with a quick google search i found exactly the type of case i would like right here and for only $22.http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hXModMu4bl4J:global.rakuten.com/en/store/getplus/item/2437161/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thank you very much for that information and as well for letting me know about the somewhat loose fit of the CKS-NWF800.I also found the silicone case on Japanese Amazon in other colors including clear.I am going to try and contact them and see if they will ship over seas to the states and what it would cost.Thank You again,that was very helpful!!!

Dude this is a bargain at $22, I've paid £32 myself for black version and it fits 100% as it should - only SONY origano tho...
  Hi everybody,

Does anyone of you know a way to listen to atrac files in this player? My unit is not from Japan. I live in Portugal. Europe.

Many thanks to you all.

ATRAC, ATRAC Advanced lossless no problem.

Now question to all with "special" unit. We got the root by now so how about we ask somebody (here and there - forums) with skills to prepare latest firmware for us? I'll happily donate couple quid myself, anybody up for that? It must be doable?! It is a question of getting skilled pips interested in that matter me think, or is it harder than it looks?

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,843 of 2,024
Now question to all with "special" unit. We got the root by now so how about we ask somebody (here and there - forums) with skills to prepare latest firmware for us? I'll happily donate couple quid myself, anybody up for that? It must be doable?! It is a question of getting skilled pips interested in that matter me think, or is it harder than it looks?

What do you mean latest firmware? As in Sony's firmware or the Android OS itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back