Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,758 of 2,024
Thanks for the great rooting guide guys, almost worked first time... (root locked in but simplified Chinese remained)

I had to do this manually at the end after the first reboot in order to get it back into English:

1) Stop Vroot again

2) Found SuperSU in the data/app folder (eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk), and used the move command in Root Browser to place it in system/apps dir.

3)Re-ran ConnectBot

4) SuperSU kicked in & asked for some confirmation after which English language version appeared

5) rebooted and re-checked all working.

Maybe I missed installing SuperSU as a system app and just ran it normally... nevermind all good & thanks again!

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,760 of 2,024
Quote:
I tried also within SuperSu to install it into system and after reboot it's in system/app as superuser.apk, so I assume it's how it should be.

Yes it is.
Quote:
Thanks for the great rooting guide guys, almost worked first time... (root locked in but simplified Chinese remained)

I had to do this manually at the end after the first reboot in order to get it back into English:

1) Stop Vroot again

2) Found SuperSU in the data/app folder (eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk), and used the move command in Root Browser to place it in system/apps dir.

3)Re-ran ConnectBot

4) SuperSU kicked in & asked for some confirmation after which English language version appeared

5) rebooted and re-checked all working.

Maybe I missed installing SuperSU as a system app and just ran it normally... nevermind all good & thanks again!

You don't have to run SuperSU as a system app, as I rooted fine without doing it.  Also the tricky part is that sometimes Vroot and SuperSU seems to fight with each other after reboot, so SuperSU may or may not take over after you stopped and delete Vroot.  But as long as you are getting the prompt in English when running anything require root, then you should be good.
Quote:

Is it possible to set some permissions manually to prevent this?

No idea, but since I highly doubt that there will be more firmware after 1.11 or another Android update for the F, I think it is safe to assume that we are pretty much good to go as far as rooting the F is concern.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,761 of 2,024
I highly doubt that there will be more firmware after 1.11 or another Android update for the F, I think it is safe to assume that we are pretty much good to go as far as rooting the F is concern.

Will there be any chance for us (like me) with "special" units without serial number, to update them to 1.11 now that it's rooted?

I tried over the air, and via downloaded exe file from japanese sony site, but I keep getting the error code 11 despite having it rooted.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,762 of 2,024
Quote:
Will there be any chance for us (like me) with "special" units without serial number, to update them to 1.11 now that it's rooted?

I tried over the air, and via downloaded exe file from japanese sony site, but I keep getting the error code 11 despite having it rooted.

I really have no idea, but I don't think that's something can easily overcome, as I believe the S/N check for the firmware was build into its code.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,763 of 2,024
OK, it's no biggie if it never will work since It's more than fine as it is.
I use it connected with fiio L5 to fiio E17 and a pair of Ultrasone hfi-680 and just blown by the sound quality!

But if it would work, then it's a nice bonus!

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,764 of 2,024
Installing SuperSU as a system app will prevent accidental uninstallation and it's inability to take over as the default root permission manager if both the chinese and the english and there at the same moment.

Just assume your SystemUI (an important system process) had the ability to be uninstalled. Risky, right? If you uninstall all the SuperUser apps, then I think you loose root.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,765 of 2,024
Quote:
OK, it's no biggie if it never will work since It's more than fine as it is.
I use it connected with fiio L5 to fiio E17 and a pair of Ultrasone hfi-680 and just blown by the sound quality!

But if it would work, then it's a nice bonus!

It is possible if we somehow get to unlock the bootloader and get a system dump of the updated ROM. But that's very unlikely as no developer seems to be working on this device ATM.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,766 of 2,024
Guys, you really need to download the Viper 4 Android app.
The convolver thing is just amazing. Even makes cheapos sound like they have built-in subs 
L3000.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #1,769 of 2,024
Thanks everyone for the rooting info. When I get the time I will give it a go too.

The front page is updated with links to a few of the key posts for the process....

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #1,770 of 2,024
  Thanks everyone for the rooting info. When I get the time I will give it a go too.

The front page is updated with links to a few of the key posts for the process....

Thanks for the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back