Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,741 of 2,024
The actual thing is you need to install the SU app as a system app and the binary too. Don't know about the binary's path though. Will open up some scripts and search for it.
Btw, there isn't any need for ConnecBot. I got it working on the first try and just replaced the chinese app with the English version.

Running different IRS from within V4A is so fun :p

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,742 of 2,024
Quote:
The actual thing is you need to install the SU app as a system app and the binary too. Don't know about the binary's path though. Will open up some scripts and search for it.
Btw, there isn't any need for ConnecBot. I got it working on the first try and just replaced the chinese app with the English version.

Running different IRS from within V4A is so fun :p

You have to understand that the ConnectBot is there for testing root, and I did installed SuperSU as a system app (in it's settings) and it didn't work (lost root after reboot).  Do you seriously have any idea how long it took me to get this down to decently fool proof?  I know you did helped me quit a bit on this, but honestly you need to tone down your assumption a bit about your audiences here.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,743 of 2,024
Quote:
You have to understand that the ConnectBot is there for testing root, and I did installed SuperSU as a system app (in it's settings) and it didn't work (lost root after reboot).  Do you seriously have any idea how long it took me to get this down to decently fool proof?  I know you did helped me quit a bit on this, but honestly you need to tone down your assumption a bit about your audiences here.

LOL man. Don't get senti.
Look. System app means you have to place it in the system folder so it can not get deleted accidentally or in any other way through the rooting process.
For testing root, you could just download the 'root checker' app off the Play Store. The terminal is a bit more tricky for starters.

And FYI I haven't done any stuff with Android previously, so am just like you guys.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,744 of 2,024
You guys still haven't mentioned what IEMs/HPs you're using... and with what portable amp!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,745 of 2,024
Sure, but what I need to know is why SuperSU install as system app failed after removing Vroot and reboot, even after it said it was done successfully.  This is not making any sense to me.  Also, yeah you can use something like root checker, but when I search that's what comes up and a terminal should be more useful to some.  In addition, I really need someone with another F test this out for me, as I have done this so many times now I am not sure my F was completely clean when I remove root using Vroot.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,746 of 2,024
Sep 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #1,747 of 2,024
Quote:
Sure, but what I need to know is why SuperSU install as system app failed after removing Vroot and reboot, even after it said it was done successfully.  This is not making any sense to me.  Also, yeah you can use something like root checker, but when I search that's what comes up and a terminal should be more useful to some.  In addition, I really need someone with another F test this out for me, as I have done this so many times now I am not sure my F was completely clean when I remove root using Vroot.

How did you install SuperSU as "system app"?
First install the english SuperSU, then delete the chinese one.
Also, a nugget of knowledge: SuperSU grants root permissions, while Busybox converts those permissions into useful UNIX commands that can be used by apps like deleting a system app.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,751 of 2,024
Quote:
For the most part I think any of the Japanese vendors at Amazon are fine to purchase an F807 from (just make sure they have the blue player in stock in 64gb) so long as they have a good positive feedback score.I purchased mine from a vendor named 'Bluesky Japan' and have spoken with other members on the forum here who have purchased their F807's from the vendors 'Japan Select' and 'Export-from-Kobe' on Amazon, and they also had positive experiences.

It takes from between 7-10 days to receive your F807 if you use EMS (expedited shipping) and between 10-21 days if You choose standard shipping . I have yet to use Media Go ,though from reading through the forums here it seems that yes it does work fine with the Japanese F807 (as well as the F805 & F806 models). as for playing FLAC files I haven't had any trouble whatsoever with displaying album art no matter whether using Sony's native player or third party apps like Winamp,Neutron,Poweramp,Android Equalizer Player or any other.though I generally tag all my own files using Mp3Tag which (despite its name) can tag just about any file type (FLAC,APE,Ogg,Mp3,M4a etc).

also some great advice I got from forum member Dr.Sheep and which everyone who orders a Sony F series Walkman from Japan should know is how to change the default language to English when You get your player.it's fairly simple

1.charge the player up and power it on then off to trigger the language select screen, so you can change it back to English.
2. after that go into keyboard setup and change back to English keyboard instead of Japanese IEM.
3.run update to bring it up to 1.11

and that is it.

Also,I wanted to ask your opinion, since You own both an F series Walkman and an X series Walkman. You said the F series has more refined detail and  sounds more balanced than the X series player,but I wondered how the bass compared between the F series and the X series to your ears? - as I understand it from speaking with others who either own or have been able to compare both of them, the X series seem to have a very different and much more prominent bass sound than the F series (at least using the native Sony player and EQ). and I am considering ordering the 64gb model of the X series so I would like to know before hand.mind You my main concern is sound,I don't so much care about screen size or the Android capabilities as much (though they are nice to have), I'm just wondering before shelling out $400 if the X series would be better for Techno,IDM,Minimal Electronica etc (i.e. artists like Donnacha Costello,Aphex Twin,Plastikman,Chemical Brothers etc.).I am also seriously considering the iBasso DX50 which is only $239 and has 8gb on board with the capability to expand up to 2tb using micro sd cards (when they become available in that size,for now a 64gb card is plenty imo)

I have a smaller 16gb Sony NWZ-E345 Walkman I purchased back in May of 2010 which I still use and to me it has a much punchier/stronger bass sound than the F807 but a very different sound signature over all,and don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE both players and they each have their own strengths ,but for my tastes I prefer a deeper/punchier and more prominent bass sound which the NWZ-E345 has (whether all the E series players share the same sound signature I can't say as this is the only model I have ever owned).

as for where to find the NW-F807 in blue on Amazon here is a link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009JXJKM8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks for the feedback!

I own Walkman X1060, had it since it first out but been using it mostly in my car because it has physical control buttons. The F for me sound quality more spaced out, has a wider spectrum, not sure how to described it. But overall the Bass is more tighter but doesnt have the punchy effect on it, more like cleaner I guess. Walkman X is less louder than the F but sounds more richer or dynamic, but the downsides:

1- Slow OS,
2- Doesnt play FLAC, only WAV
3- Cannot create on the Go playlist
4- Hard to select a time frame on the song accuratley
5- Max capacity is 32GB

Now I heard Sony planning to discontinue the standalone Walkman Players so I decided to grab one before it s gone. My 2 choices were, Walkman Z and F. I choose the F because its more portable and has more clarity. I havent tried the Z in person but from user's reviews its bulky and doesn't run as smooth as the F and doesnt have much detail, but on the Plus side its more energetic and richer Bass! Maybe I should order a local Z from the US and check it out before importing one from Japan. I might end up liking it more than the F!

However,

There are rumors regarding the new XPERIA flagship "Z1" AKA Honami which is set to be unveiled on Sept 4th (3 days from now) that it will have a new S-Master chip in it! If the rumors turns out to be true I am going to ditch the F, Z and the X and get that new XPERIA smartphone instead!

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,754 of 2,024
Quote:
Move the English SuperSU into system/apps/ using root browser.

Fine, I did some digging and finally found SuperSU in the data/app folder (eu.chainfire.supersu-1.apk), and I am going to make a copy to the system/app folder like you have said.

p.s. I did try that option again and now SuperSU installed itself into system/app as Superuser.apk, which I think it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back