Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Aug 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,726 of 2,024
Quote:
Please try it out and post back the results.

Confirmed, and it is super easy, just turn on developer mode before, download and run Vroot, and you can confirm it via a terminal app.  However, there is a problem as it changed the language to simplified chinese on some of the program pop ups / warnings, and that it is not showing up in the language setting (it is still listed as English.)  I need to figure out how to fix this as I doubt most of you reading this knows Chinese.

Update: it didn't change the language to simplified Chinese, however, the manager is written in that and there is no way to change it.  So whenever something trying to access root and the system ask you for it, the pop up will always be in simplified Chinese.  Also, it installed a Baidu board client next to the manager, but you can just uninstall it with no problem.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,727 of 2,024
Quote:
Did I ever mention I absolutely love this little DAP?
biggrin.gif

You're not alone....
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,728 of 2,024
Quote:
Confirmed, and it is super easy, just turn on developer mode before, download and run Vroot, and you can confirm it via a terminal app.  However, there is a problem as it changed the language to simplified chinese on some of the program pop ups / warnings, and that it is not showing up in the language setting (it is still listed as English.)  I need to figure out how to fix this as I doubt most of you reading this knows Chinese.

Update: it didn't change the language to simplified Chinese, however, the manager is written in that and there is no way to change it.  So whenever something trying to access root and the system ask you for it, the pop up will always be in simplified Chinese.  Also, it installed a Baidu board client next to the manager, but you can just uninstall it with no problem.

That's the superuser app.
Just install Root Browser and navigate to system/app/ and delete the chinese superSU. Then download and install the latest english version and move it to that folder to make it a part of the system.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,729 of 2,024
Quote:
That's the superuser app.
Just install Root Browser and navigate to system/app/ and delete the chinese superSU. Then download and install the latest english version and move it to that folder to make it a part of the system.

That's not it, I mean the root manager is hardcoded in simplified Chinese, so when it detects other programs that need root access, it will prompt you for approval, and it's all in Chinese.  Besides I don't have the chinese superSU in that folder, and all I got is that Superuser.apk, which is that root manager.  I looked inside and I don't see an easy way to hack it into English.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,730 of 2,024
Hi Guys, 

I recently purchased F806 from Amazon and I like it. Coming from Walkman X the F has more refined detail and sounds more balanced.

However, 32GB and black color are not my first pick. I am thinking of importing F807 from Japan in blue color through Amazon. So I got few questions if you can help me.

1) Which Seller is recommended to buy from (F807 blue)?

2) Is the 64 GB Japanese version is compatible with Media Go (US)? I heard the Z1070 has problem being recognized by Media Go and have Album art problems for FLAC and other lossless files

Thanks 
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,732 of 2,024
Quote:
That's not it, I mean the root manager is hardcoded in simplified Chinese, so when it detects other programs that need root access, it will prompt you for approval, and it's all in Chinese.  Besides I don't have the chinese superSU in that folder, and all I got is that Superuser.apk, which is that root manager.  I looked inside and I don't see an easy way to hack it into English.

Just download the original SuperSU app and a busybox installer and install the two. Then download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en and navigate to system/apps/ and delete the chinese app. Last, just copy the new downloaded english version of the SuperSU to system/apps/.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,734 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi Guys, 

I recently purchased F806 from Amazon and I like it. Coming from Walkman X the F has more refined detail and sounds more balanced.

However, 32GB and black color are not my first pick. I am thinking of importing F807 from Japan in blue color through Amazon. So I got few questions if you can help me.

2) Is the 64 GB Japanese version is compatible with Media Go (US)? I heard the Z1070 has problem being recognized by Media Go and have Album art problems for FLAC and other lossless files

Thanks 
smile.gif

Try Rakuten, but I have no idea which seller is good or not.  And yes Media Go works, but some jackass keep messing with the art and tag database, so I have to use my dBpoweramp to fix a lot of screwed up tags.
Quote:
Just download the original SuperSU app and a busybox installer and install the two. Then download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.root.browserfree&hl=en and navigate to system/apps/ and delete the chinese app. Last, just copy the new downloaded english version of the SuperSU to system/apps/.

You know that I am not expert at Android right?  I got the Root Browser already, and I will try to do whatever you are saying about SuperSU and busybox.  Once I can nail it down then I will do a full write up, hopefully with pics, for your guys for reference.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,735 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi Guys, 

Thanks 
smile.gif

For the most part I think any of the Japanese vendors at Amazon are fine to purchase an F807 from (just make sure they have the blue player in stock in 64gb) so long as they have a good positive feedback score.I purchased mine from a vendor named 'Bluesky Japan' and have spoken with other members on the forum here who have purchased their F807's from the vendors 'Japan Select' and 'Export-from-Kobe' on Amazon, and they also had positive experiences.

It takes from between 7-10 days to receive your F807 if you use EMS (expedited shipping) and between 10-21 days if You choose standard shipping . I have yet to use Media Go ,though from reading through the forums here it seems that yes it does work fine with the Japanese F807 (as well as the F805 & F806 models). as for playing FLAC files I haven't had any trouble whatsoever with displaying album art no matter whether using Sony's native player or third party apps like Winamp,Neutron,Poweramp,Android Equalizer Player or any other.though I generally tag all my own files using Mp3Tag which (despite its name) can tag just about any file type (FLAC,APE,Ogg,Mp3,M4a etc).

also some great advice I got from forum member Dr.Sheep and which everyone who orders a Sony F series Walkman from Japan should know is how to change the default language to English when You get your player.it's fairly simple

1.charge the player up and power it on then off to trigger the language select screen, so you can change it back to English.
2. after that go into keyboard setup and change back to English keyboard instead of Japanese IEM.
3.run update to bring it up to 1.11

and that is it.

Also,I wanted to ask your opinion, since You own both an F series Walkman and an X series Walkman. You said the F series has more refined detail and  sounds more balanced than the X series player,but I wondered how the bass compared between the F series and the X series to your ears? - as I understand it from speaking with others who either own or have been able to compare both of them, the X series seem to have a very different and much more prominent bass sound than the F series (at least using the native Sony player and EQ). and I am considering ordering the 64gb model of the X series so I would like to know before hand.mind You my main concern is sound,I don't so much care about screen size or the Android capabilities as much (though they are nice to have), I'm just wondering before shelling out $400 if the X series would be better for Techno,IDM,Minimal Electronica etc (i.e. artists like Donnacha Costello,Aphex Twin,Plastikman,Chemical Brothers etc.).I am also seriously considering the iBasso DX50 which is only $239 and has 8gb on board with the capability to expand up to 2tb using micro sd cards (when they become available in that size,for now a 64gb card is plenty imo)

I have a smaller 16gb Sony NWZ-E345 Walkman I purchased back in May of 2010 which I still use and to me it has a much punchier/stronger bass sound than the F807 but a very different sound signature over all,and don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE both players and they each have their own strengths ,but for my tastes I prefer a deeper/punchier and more prominent bass sound which the NWZ-E345 has (whether all the E series players share the same sound signature I can't say as this is the only model I have ever owned).

as for where to find the NW-F807 in blue on Amazon here is a link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009JXJKM8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,736 of 2,024
SuperSU installed fine but busybox keep saying I don't have enough space which isn't true.  Do I really need busybox since SuperSu basically replaced that chinese app?

Both won't install but Vroot keeps telling me that SuperSU got root access.

Update: I unpluged my F807 from the computer and rerun the busybox install and it is working (smart install.)  SuperSU also installed fine now.

Update 2: uninstall won't work for the superuser.apx (Vroot) app, so like you said I just stop the app from running, then delete it with Root Browser.  Reboot the system, run ConnectBot and run the SU command for superuser access, the SuperSU gave me a prompt for permission.  So now my F807 is rooted and Chinese app free.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,737 of 2,024
Reboot the system, run ConnectBot and run the SU command for superuser access, the SuperSU gave me a prompt for permission.  So now my F807 is rooted and Chinese app free.

I've just rebooted and started ConnectBoot, what do I do next?

Update: Just ran the vroot program again to root it. Interestingly it didn't reboot the F807, so the Chinese superuser didn't install, but root access was there. So I ran Connectbot and the su command (just connect to local host without password and type su, small letters) then SuperSU gave me SU permission, GREAT! :p

Now if someone figures out how firmware 1.11 can be installed for those without serial number on F807, that would be great. But I guess this will be solved soon, now that we have root.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,738 of 2,024
Quote:
I've just rebooted and started ConnectBoot, what do I do next?

Update: Just ran the vroot program again to root it. Interestingly it didn't reboot the F807, so the Chinese superuser didn't install, but root access was there. So I ran Connectbot and the su command (just connect to local host without password and type su, small letters) then SuperSU gave me SU permission, GREAT!
tongue.gif

Now if someone figures out how firmware 1.11 can be installed for those without serial number on F807, that would be great. But I guess this will be solved soon, now that we have root.

Nice, but you can install 1.11 without rooting.  Just get a gmail account and go to setting -> about -> system update and it will work.

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,739 of 2,024
Ok, I think I have it nailed down.  The tricky bit is how to make SuperSU stick after you remove the chinese client, as sometimes you will lose root access after reboot.  But without further ado, here it is.

Sheep's Sony F series rooting guide:
1, turn on developer mode under System settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging.

2, download and install Vroot here (http://www.mgyun.com/vroot).
3, Run Vroot, and connect your Sony F series DAP to your computer.

4, Click the lower green button to start rooting.

5, Rooting in progress, DO NOT disconnect your DAP.

6, Rooting successful.  At this point you can choose to keep the Simplified Chinese Root Manager, but read on if you want to replace it with SuperSU English (multilingual actually) client.

7, Optional, delete the Baidu Message Board client (bottom right).

8, Disconnect your Sony F series DAP from the computer, and go to Google Play, search and install SuperSU, ConnectBot, and Root Browser.

9, Run ConnectBot, choose to set up a new local host, and give it a name.

10, When you run the session, the superuser manager will prompt you for permission (right is yes, left is no.)

11, Click on the right side to say yes (of course), type in "su" no quote, enter, and if you see the # sign then you are rooted.

12, Here is the tricky bit with SuperSU, but follow along and you should be fine.  Click continue to keep running SuperSU.

13, This is the confusing bit, I tried both Normal and TWRP/CWM install but sometimes it won't stick after removing Vroot and reboot.  But here is how I got it to stay.  First choose "TWRP/CWM"

14, Get another root access prompt from Vroot, click right for yes.

15, SuperSU will run and should be successful, technically it will try to reboot but only kick out to the home screen, but this is fine as you will have to rerun this again after you stop Vroot.

16, Go to Manage apps -> select running -> then click on the Vroot app with the blue shield and stop it.

17. Go to Root Browser, somehow you will still get prompt for access like above, access the system/app directory, and delete the superuser.apk dir by holding it down for a sec.

18, Go back to SuperSU, and rerun it with the same setting as before, but this time it should reboot itself.
19, If you do everything right and still have root, when you run ConnectBot again with the "su" command, not only you will get #, but you should see a different prompt in English from SuperSU instead.

20, You have now successfully rooted your Sony F series DAP and replaced the Simplified Chinese Root Manager with SuperSU.  Enjoy.

Note, you might have to run Root Browser at least once before stopping the Vroot, and I might have mis-ordered some of the steps in the middle.  If you lost root it is no big deal, just run the Vroot client from your computer and root again.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,740 of 2,024
Thanks for the step by steps.

So what IEMs/HPs are you guys using withe your F series? I'm using the W4R on the go and the Mad Dogs at home when not at my desk.

As for amp I'm using an LOD out with the E12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back