Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Aug 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,696 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi all!!

I wld like advice on which walkman to choose: Z or F? (getting it from jpn!) Or any other recommendations?

I wld use the player mostly for music. (genre: pop, dance, trance etc.) So audio quality is impt. I wld also probably use it for some light reading but rarely.

I wld pair the player with my Shure se315. Wld there be a need for amp?

Thanks in adv! 
L3000.gif

I have the Z and the A865 and I love them... But I recommend you getting a FIIO X3 if they are available on your country. It surpasses the quality of both aforementioned, by far.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,698 of 2,024
Quote:
Fiio X3 surpasses both Z & A in quality? Are you sure about that?
popcorn.gif

Well, yeah, for me it feels crisper, more detailed, better instrument separation, and it is very fun and engaging sounding.

Admittedly, the device is horrendous, cheap build quality, awful screen, ancient UI, ****ty music library management, but it does a great job when it comes to audio quality.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,699 of 2,024
Fiio X3 surpasses both Z & A in quality? Are you sure about that? :popcorn:

Maybe he meant in terms of output sample rate since Sony's are limited to 16/44.1 because of Android. That's my only complaint about my F but I don't even know if I could notice the difference in ideal conditions, not to mention when on the move. You have to get into high end DAP's to beat the quality in a Sony.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #1,700 of 2,024
The SQ of the X3 isn't exactly up to par with the Sony, so don't dis the Z and F so quickly just because the X3 is newer.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #1,701 of 2,024
Quote:

Well, yeah, for me it feels crisper, more detailed, better instrument separation, and it is very fun and engaging sounding.

Admittedly, the device is horrendous, cheap build quality, awful screen, ancient UI, ****ty music library management, but it does a great job when it comes to audio quality.

Is your unit a European unit?  If so that may explain the reason why.  Many have stated that the US & Jap have better sound than the Euro models.  I discovered this myself while comparing A867 Euro to A865 USA version.  I like the US & Japanese much better.

Quote:
The SQ of the X3 isn't exactly up to par with the Sony, so don't dis the Z and F so quickly just because the X3 is newer.

See my reply above.  When I had the Z & F together with the DX100, I didn't feel that the two walkman were noticeably inferior in a direct comparison the DX100 playing 16bit 44.1khz material.  In fact, the sound is quite close.  The DX100 did show its muscle power when playing hi-rez though as it was noticeably better than the two Sony then.

BTW, I am on the first batch of the Ibasso DX50.  I'll compare the DX50 against my walkman and post my findings then.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,702 of 2,024
Quote:
Is your unit a European unit?  If so that may explain the reason why.  Many have stated that the US & Jap have better sound than the Euro models.  I discovered this myself while comparing A867 Euro to A865 USA version.  I like the US & Japanese much better.

Yes, I own both A and Z euro versions.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,703 of 2,024
Quote:
BTW, I am on the first batch of the Ibasso DX50.  I'll compare the DX50 against my walkman and post my findings then.

Can't wait on your feedback about the DX50.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #1,705 of 2,024
Thank you for your advice :wink: Very much appreciated.. im leaning towards the F now..

Just a question, can you explain on what you said (quoted below) as I have nv owned a sony walkman before.

"However, you may want to consider getting the Sony WM-PORT to mini-USB adapter or a WM-PORT LOD for it."

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,706 of 2,024
Hi! thank you for your advice! 

I will definitely look into Fiio X3..

But i am keen to get the sony because my friend is in Japan now! And im asking a favour from my friend to get one from Japan. :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #1,707 of 2,024
Hi! 
Thanks for your advice :wink:

Sony in my country has alr phased out the Z in the local stores, so i cant test out the difference and find out which one do i prefer.

But i think with your advice i wld probably choose the F.

THanks!

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,708 of 2,024
I'm having this strange problem with my NWZ-F806 32gb where by the music player will just start playing randomly when idol and keeps on playing till I stop it or the battery goes flat and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

I guess I'm just gonna have to do a factory reset but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else had this and managed to fix it without a format.

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #1,709 of 2,024
Quote:
Thank you for your advice :wink: Very much appreciated.. im leaning towards the F now..

Just a question, can you explain on what you said (quoted below) as I have nv owned a sony walkman before.

"However, you may want to consider getting the Sony WM-PORT to mini-USB adapter or a WM-PORT LOD for it."

WM-PORT LOD Adapter (for any 3.5mm cable): http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sony+WM-PORT+adapter&qpvt=sony+WM-PORT+adapter&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=0ACF170E230D6B3F145E2A7BD6E9758CB7509C07&selectedIndex=11
WM-PORT to micro-USB Adapter (SONY WMP-NWM10, for charge and data): http://www.sony.jp/walkman/products/WMP-NWM10/
LOD Interconnect (FiiO L5 and the like, I got a better one from eBay): http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L5-Line-Cable-Walkman/dp/B003UCI2CI

Quote:
I'm having this strange problem with my NWZ-F806 32gb where by the music player will just start playing randomly when idol and keeps on playing till I stop it or the battery goes flat and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

I guess I'm just gonna have to do a factory reset but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else had this and managed to fix it without a format.

No, but it seems some app or short from the controls trigged it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back