Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Aug 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,636 of 2,024
I apologize if this question has been asked before,but i am considering purchasing one of these pmp's from japanese sellers who offer them in more colors than are available in the united states.can anyone recommend who the best vendors are,in particular vendors who sell the real thing and not a cheap knock off .

i see that i can order from amazon a NW-F806 model in blue which stores 32 gigabytes for $257.97 from a company called j-made or if i want to forgo the pretty colors for more storage there seem to be a couple of japanese vendors who offer the 64gb model in black only for as little as $318.19,yet that price makes me a bit nervous as its too low,for example the american made 16gb retails for $267 and the 32gb for $297 so the chances of getting double that amount of storage for only 20 dollars more sets off my "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" alarm.

the vendors i am considering purchasing from are j-made (for the 32gb model in blue) they show a 100% amazon rating but only have 32 ratings total - and for the 64gb model in black a company called j star mart offers that for 318.19 they also have 100% feedback yet only 37 total feedback comments.and lastly a company called bluesky angel japan offers it for $315.00 and have a 99% positive feedback rating with a total of 97 feedback comments.

I guess my question is,has anyone in these forums ever purchased any products from these vendors ('j-made','j star mart' or 'bluesky angel japan') and can you let me know if you had good results purchasing from them and/or can you recommend other vendors who sell the japanese f series model nw-f806 for a fair price near that of the american market price.i don't mind spending $300 to $320 dollars for a good player so long as its a real sony and not a knock off and so long as the seller/vendor are honest and reliable.thanks in advance for any advice.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,637 of 2,024
Quote:
I apologize if this question has been asked before,but i am considering purchasing one of these pmp's from japanese sellers who offer them in more colors than are available in the united states.can anyone recommend who the best vendors are,in particular vendors who sell the real thing and not a cheap knock off .

i see that i can order from amazon a NW-F806 model in blue which stores 32 gigabytes for $257.97 from a company called j-made or if i want to forgo the pretty colors for more storage there seem to be a couple of japanese vendors who offer the 64gb model in black only for as little as $318.19,yet that price makes me a bit nervous as its too low,for example the american made 16gb retails for $267 and the 32gb for $297 so the chances of getting double that amount of storage for only 20 dollars more sets off my "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" alarm.

the vendors i am considering purchasing from are j-made (for the 32gb model in blue) they show a 100% amazon rating but only have 32 ratings total - and for the 64gb model in black a company called j star mart offers that for 318.19 they also have 100% feedback yet only 37 total feedback comments.and lastly a company called bluesky angel japan offers it for $315.00 and have a 99% positive feedback rating with a total of 97 feedback comments.

I guess my question is,has anyone in these forums ever purchased any products from these vendors ('j-made','j star mart' or 'bluesky angel japan') and can you let me know if you had good results purchasing from them and/or can you recommend other vendors who sell the japanese f series model nw-f806 for a fair price near that of the american market price.i don't mind spending $300 to $320 dollars for a good player so long as its a real sony and not a knock off and so long as the seller/vendor are honest and reliable.thanks in advance for any advice.

I got mine from JapanSelect for $328 on Amazon and paid EMS (Express shipping, so I can track it, total to about $350) and have absolutely no issue.  Remember, they have a lot of these in Japan, and if you look at the listing from Rakuten Global, they are even cheaper.  This one is new and it's only $290, too bad it's pink.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,638 of 2,024
As mentioned earlier in the thread mine is currently in transit. I didn't pay for any additional shipping because it was estimated to only take 10-15 days standard and it said tracking was available for both although I was never given the option. Amazon's estimated arrival time was twice as long as the advertised 10-15 days and it remains to be seen which one is correct. If I had the chance to do it again I would have paid the extra for peace of mind.

As for fakes I don't think items from Japan are a real issue, it's the stuff from China you need to be wary of.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,639 of 2,024
Ok guys, good luck getting and enjoying your Japanese F807.  However, just a reminder:

• charge the player up and power it on then off to trigger the language select screen, so you can change it back to English.
  • after that go into keyboard setup and change back to English keyboard instead of Japanese IEM.
  • run update to bring it up to 1.11

That's it.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #1,640 of 2,024
Quote:
Remember, they have a lot of these in Japan, and if you look at the listing from Rakuten Global, they are even cheaper.  This one is new and it's only $290, too bad it's pink.

Remember to be careful buying in a foreign language (particularly with a different alphabet) the linked item is USED (as well as being pink :wink:.

Cheers,

Andy

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,641 of 2,024
Quote:

Remember to be careful buying in a foreign language (particularly with a different alphabet) the linked item is USED (as well as being pink :wink:.

Cheers,

Andy

Good point, I was looking to make sure that was new, but I guess they snug it into the discriptions.  Because normally if it is used they will list it as "中古", but I guess I didn't catch this one.  Besides, $290 is expensive for used ones, as those normally will be listed for $260.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,643 of 2,024
Quote:
Anything of note coming out of this firmware?

Still running 1.01 and it works a treat. No issues and I've seen that I can disable all the applications I don't use.

Still ICS 4.0.4?

Not much, just bug fixes and added DLNA, and it should still be 4.0.4 but I will have to double check.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,644 of 2,024
Quote:
Wouldn't you love making an already awesome sounding player sound better?

Dont get me wrong... but how much better can it get. The sound coming out from Sony walkmans is great & pairing it Sony own IEMs gives it a better flavor. I've tried many other brands of IEMs but nothing sounds better paired than a Sony IEM/Headphone.

What it lacks is the storage. I need at least a micro-sd card or more built in memory. Thats why I'm 'still' searching for another DAP. I'm not sure in investing in other brands since they are unknown to me.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,646 of 2,024
Quote:
Dont get me wrong... but how much better can it get. The sound coming out from Sony walkmans is great & pairing it Sony own IEMs gives it a better flavor. I've tried many other brands of IEMs but nothing sounds better paired than a Sony IEM/Headphone.

What it lacks is the storage. I need at least a micro-sd card or more built in memory. Thats why I'm 'still' searching for another DAP. I'm not sure in investing in other brands since they are unknown to me.

I can tell you 100% that they sounded cleaner compare to iDevices specially in FLAC unampped.  But yeah too bad there is no micro-SD slot for it...

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,647 of 2,024
Quote:
Anything of note coming out of this firmware?

Still running 1.01 and it works a treat. No issues and I've seen that I can disable all the applications I don't use.

Still ICS 4.0.4?

Yes, it is still the same version. The sound output is a bit cleaner though. A little distortion fix, but again you won't notice till you upgrade.
Quote:

Other droids improve significantly after installing the V4A audio effects. I don't see a reason why this one wont. Plus, SQ is a subjective thing, you are always satisfied with your current setup until you hear something better :wink:

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,648 of 2,024
Thank You DrSheep (and everyone else).I really appreciate the feedback! I currently own a 16gb Sony NWZ-E345 that I bought a few years back which I love and use every day with my Grado SR-60s (a perfect combination especially for the price!),but the internal battery is no longer holding a charge like it once did and so looking for a replacement the F806 / F807 model caught my eye as it seems to offer everything i love about my current walkman yet offers quite a lot more.

I would buy one here in the U,S, though I love the colors they offer in Japan,plus the fact that they offer a 64gb model.and after all the great reviews I have read from people who own them and knowing from my own experiences how fantastic Sony portable players sound I am really looking forward to ordering/owning one of these.I have to wait a couple weeks but I am going to go ahead and order from JapanSelect based on your recommendation and their great feedback.and I will also pay for the tracking as it will give me more peace of mind.also thank You for letting me know how to change the language to English and bring up the latest update.this is a great forum!

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,650 of 2,024
Slightly off topic: which mid-range small size amp is good for the F806/7?  I got the SDT but it's an overkill for my F807, soI I am thinking about getting either the Pico Slim or the JDS C5 for it instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back