Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Jul 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,606 of 2,024
You just have to drag & drop via.usb and after disconnecting the walkman, it will scan the files.

The only thing I dont like is that it doesnt go back to the same letter the song was playing. ie. If I was playing an album that starts with the letter G and I want to go back, it goes to albums beginning with A and I have to scroll back to G.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,608 of 2,024
Hey guys, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a f series.  I plan to use it mainly for working out.  I've been following this thread for a few days now, any advice for or against before I decide to purchase?  If I end up buying this, it'll be my highest quality piece of audio equipment, so for me its a big purchase, I guess that's why I'm posting this.  In case theres anything I might've overseen.

Also, how is it sound compared to iphone?  I have an iphone already, is the sound quality noticeably better on the walkman?  Will it make a difference with my $25 meelec m6, or do I need to get a better earphone to actually hear a difference?

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,609 of 2,024
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a f series.  I plan to use it mainly for working out. 

Also, how is it sound compared to iphone?  I have an iphone already, is the sound quality noticeably better on the walkman?  Will it make a difference with my $25 meelec m6, or do I need to get a better earphone to actually hear a difference?

Hi. I use an iPhone and a Walkman for music, obviously because I like Walkman's sound quality better. In fact I've owned almost every generation of the A series and the last Z1060 and now the F 64G. But in your case I do not suggest you to buy the F just for working out. When I am in gym or on train with my IE80/Ex-1000 I can't fully enjoy the extra sound qulity brought to me by the Walkman. The noise and my own movement is way more obvious than any difference between an iPhone and the F.

Personally I use iPhone when I am out running (runkeeper) and in the gym (loads of exercise tracking apps) because of the portability & convenience - you will have to bring ur phone anyway so save u to take extra device. Plus with proper GPS/3G signal the tracking is 1000% better than the F (never got the runkeepr to work properly with only GPS and pre-downloaded maps). Plus the F itself is not very powerful in terms of Android performance. It can be slow for lots of apps.

At last yes you do need a better earphone to fully enjoy the F over iPhone. Not saying you have to go to the top but the $25 pair just won't cut it :)

Cheers.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,610 of 2,024
Better IEM will help, but even by default the sound is better, especially with FLAC.  Also, the F806/807 comes with a pair of EX300, which I think is slightly better than the Apple earbuds/pods.  Amazon has the 806 for $259 and 807 for under $350 new.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,611 of 2,024
Compared my F807 with my cousin's Iphone 5 and, even if the Iphone sounds better than I expected, my Walkman wins easily: better dynamics and bass extension/definition, more details, it just gives much more body to the music.

The SoundMagic E10, which is probably the worst (very cheap) IEM in the world (even for working out, trust me) actually does not sound that bad with the Sony.
It seems that with this Walkman, even the cheapest IEMs sound rather good.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,612 of 2,024
Pulled the trigger last week and it arrived today.  Damn neat little package and build quality is fantastic.

Still no joy finding a root solution, but thankful that most of the applications can disabled.  No widgets on the home screens and the only applications now listed are:

1. FM radio
  2. Music player
  3. Noise canceling
  4. Original apps
  5. Settings
  6. Video player
  7. W.control
  8. Walkman Classics

Not connected wireless, no application updates, nada.  I use an Xperia Z as my daily driver...F807 is ONLY for music.

Loading tunes now.  I've got rusty ears and a fanaticism about Sony sound so don't expect or ask for comparisons (coming from a MZ-RH1).  But in case anyone is interested, expect to be using it with

1. EX-700
  2. XBA-4
  3. PFR-V1
  4. MDR-S5000
  5. PHA-1

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,613 of 2,024
oh wow, I didn't realize the 64gb version was available on amazon.  Am I going to have to deal with any type of issue getting a japanese walkman vs a u.s. walkman, like getting the software updates or warranty or anything like that?  Do you guys know if I'll get charged custom fees?

lol, and I know my headphones probably won't do this player justice but its all i got for the time being :)  I'll upgrade soon enough

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,614 of 2,024
Quote:
oh wow, I didn't realize the 64gb version was available on amazon.  Am I going to have to deal with any type of issue getting a japanese walkman vs a u.s. walkman, like getting the software updates or warranty or anything like that?  Do you guys know if I'll get charged custom fees?

lol, and I know my headphones probably won't do this player justice but its all i got for the time being :)  I'll upgrade soon enough

From Amazon it's easy, just pay EMS for shipping so you can track it, and I don't think there is custom fees.  Return wise it should be decently easy since you can contact them via Amazon, but service wise is not 100% but still pretty good.  It runs Android so update is easy with your Google account.  No warranty that I know for the 807, and that's why I got a 806 directly from the Sony store to check it out first.  Headphone and IEM wise there are load of choices, but you can stick with the bundled EX300 while you shop.  BTW, if you decided to get a 807 and not the 806, then make sure you first turn on, then turn off the unit at first start up.  That way it will let you pick English as your default language.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,615 of 2,024
Quote:
Pulled the trigger last week and it arrived today.  Damn neat little package and build quality is fantastic.

Still no joy finding a root solution, but thankful that most of the applications can disabled.  No widgets on the home screens and the only applications now listed are:

1. FM radio
  2. Music player
  3. Noise canceling
  4. Original apps
  5. Settings
  6. Video player
  7. W.control
  8. Walkman Classics

Not connected wireless, no application updates, nada.  I use an Xperia Z as my daily driver...F807 is ONLY for music.

Loading tunes now.  I've got rusty ears and a fanaticism about Sony sound so don't expect or ask for comparisons (coming from a MZ-RH1).  But in case anyone is interested, expect to be using it with

1. EX-700
  2. XBA-4
  3. PFR-V1
  4. MDR-S5000
  5. PHA-1

WE WANT ROOT!!!
Can you somehow get some dev at xda into rooting this thing. That Viper mod makes me drool everytime I visit it's page.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,617 of 2,024
Quote:
WE WANT ROOT!!!
Can you somehow get some dev at xda into rooting this thing. That Viper mod makes me drool everytime I visit it's page.

I'm a total noob is this rooting business.

Is there any adv. of rooting to that of original software? I saw ipods being rooted but they dont look as attractive as the original software looks like.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,618 of 2,024
I'm a total noob is this rooting business.

Is there any adv. of rooting to that of original software? I saw ipods being rooted but they dont look as attractive as the original software looks like.

How would you like being able to switch between the sound signatures of the Z and the F? Or maybe loading up custom audio drivers to enhance your listening experience? That's one advantage of rooting.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,619 of 2,024
Root means different things to different people. Offers you an opportunity to remove bloat from the system, which may result in additional space for the important things (like tunes!) or increased battery life (after ridding yourself of unused services).

As well, rooting a device (read: providing yourself with superuser access yo the root of the system) allows you to install alternative ROMs...

If someone built a suitable/compatible ROM then we'd be on 4.2.2 by now.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,620 of 2,024
Just ordered my F807 today from Amazon. Shipping said 10-15 days, but on my confirmation email it was between August 28th - Sept 18th. Hopefully it's the former.

I like the sound of rooting. That's something I'd happily donate for if someone figured out a way to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back