Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Mar 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #1,411 of 2,024
Quote:
Hello.

I want to buy this model but haven't listened yet.
I own Ipod touch 4g and Brainwawz M2, but sound is very deep.(I dont know how to describe it). Meanwhile, Senheiser IE 4 sounds better: cleaner and closer.
Please answer some questions:
1) Someone says that F806 can't unlock the potential of XBA-3 (I'm not an audiophile, so I don't find little and not obvious sound problems. Therefore, I decided to buy XBA-3, cuz it's good balanced headphones). Is it true?
Shall I buy amp?
2) I listened NWZ-A866 with my M2. They played so lively as ever.
Could I get the same feelings with F806 and XBA-3? If not, what player and headphones you could recommend for casual listener?

I think the XBA-3 will sound fine with the F806; however, I find the XBA-3 to be more difficult to drive than my Shure as well as my JH13pro.  I have to crank up the volume up more on the Sony.  Still, the combo gives very decent musical performance.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,413 of 2,024
Quote:
Hello.

I want to buy this model but haven't listened yet.
I own Ipod touch 4g and Brainwawz M2, but sound is very deep.(I dont know how to describe it). Meanwhile, Senheiser IE 4 sounds better: cleaner and closer.
Please answer some questions:
1) Someone says that F806 can't unlock the potential of XBA-3 (I'm not an audiophile, so I don't find little and not obvious sound problems. Therefore, I decided to buy XBA-3, cuz it's good balanced headphones). Is it true?
Shall I buy amp?
2) I listened NWZ-A866 with my M2. They played so lively as ever.
Could I get the same feelings with F806 and XBA-3? If not, what player and headphones you could recommend for casual listener?

Vsonic GR07 Mk2 sounds great with the F806, and is not very expensive. Being dynamic driver, takes a bit of volume to get the best out of them though. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #1,414 of 2,024
Ok, well I think I'm going crazy... I recently picked up an ALO Rx Mk3 amp, and have been using it with the F driving my Mad Dog T50RPs at home lately. I was struggling to get enough volume out of the F via the line out with the ALO even on hi gain (these orthos crave some major power), so today I decided to try the headphone out because I remembered it played louder through an amp than the WM port. So I turned the F's volume up to a tick or two below max, and gave it a spin through the ALO-  I could swear it sounds a bit better overall this way... more powerful and dynamic. Finally seem to be getting enough power through the headphone out and the ALO to control the ortho drivers this way. 

I remember some discussion earlier in the thread about how the line out is quieter than the X's (I noted that back in the first post even), but here I seem to be finding that it's perhaps inferior sounding to the headphone out. Is the headphone out that good? ...or the line out of lesser quality? I wasn't finding much using the search within thread function. And I know double amping is supposedly not ideal. But shoot if it isn't sounding better through the H.O.!

This is probably even an issue at all since I'm trying to drive such power hungry orthos in the first place, and wouldn't be nearly so noticeable, or necessary, if using the line out and driving IEMs or easier load headphones.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,416 of 2,024
Quote:
Isn't it just because it's bi-amped? that's why it has more power, but clarity wise?

and lol, if you use LOD, no matter how you play with the volume on F, it won't have any effect...

Yes, of course the volume on the F won't adjust when using the line out. I'm referring to adjusting the volume while using headphone out. 

I do think the sound is a little better quality than line out though, at least for the ortho headphones... I'll try it later on tonight with sensitive IEMs, try to volume match when switching, and listen closely for any quality differences.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #1,419 of 2,024
Quote:
I am interested that how is the performance of running Android on F806, when considering some positive comments on this player.

I own the F807, which is the same series.  One thing I will warn you about is that playback will have issues if you have wireless active but you're not in good range of your router.  I was getting pops in playback due to this.  This is related to performance of the device, most likely.  CPU cycles are probably being used for wireless instead of playback.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,420 of 2,024
i noticed that too on my 806. i dont use the thing for anything other than playing music so just stick the phone into airplane mode to de-pop
regular_smile .gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,421 of 2,024
not sure if others have noticed but play music app can now see music files stored on your f, which it was unable to when i first got my f. not only that but if hitting the equalizer button it will open the exact same equalizer options available to you as found in the stock walkman player. last but not least, play music does gapless! so apart from the fancy visuals, is there are valid audio reason to still use the stock walkman player?

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #1,423 of 2,024
yes what I'm trying work out is this - if I use the stock sony walkman player with no eq adjustments at all and the google play music player again with no eq adjustments, is there/should there be any audible difference between the two players? I've tried both and cannot seem to hear any difference but my ears may not be as young as others!

I'm hoping the audio output quality will be the exact same from both players and then I can use play music app as my 'stock' player and enjoy my gapless again without the need to re-rip all affected albums to atrac. my files got in a right mess last time I did that on my z!

does all that make sense? this is important to me and would be grateful of other opinions on this! I don't want to lose anything audio-wise by not using the stock walkman player!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,424 of 2,024
Quote:
yes what I'm trying work out is this - if I use the stock sony walkman player with no eq adjustments at all and the google play music player again with no eq adjustments, is there/should there be any audible difference between the two players? I've tried both and cannot seem to hear any difference but my ears may not be as young as others!

I'm hoping the audio output quality will be the exact same from both players and then I can use play music app as my 'stock' player and enjoy my gapless again without the need to re-rip all affected albums to atrac. my files got in a right mess last time I did that on my z!

does all that make sense? this is important to me and would be grateful of other opinions on this! I don't want to lose anything audio-wise by not using the stock walkman player!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

tbh, I never tested the google play music player in my F807, but I've tried poweramp and neutron. SQ-wise I still favor the walkman.

Walkman also has extra point by having the side button that give access to the music control panel

I never use gapless though, and I use flac

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,425 of 2,024
i guess what made me wonder is that when in the play music app, if you hit the equalizer button it opens the stock equalizer which is the same equalizer that you will see in the stock walkman player. in poweramp and others that will not be the case..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back