Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,396 of 2,024
Hi all.  This is interesting to me in that no one seems to have mentioned the sound of the F and Z android walkmen in comparison to previous models.  
As an owner of an a864 and a z1060 I can honestly say that the biggest disappointement with the Z is the sound.  When I first listened to the Z I thought
man, they made a walkman sound like an ipod lol.  The efffects just seem to make it sound louder.  I honestly can't tell what any of those "enhancements"
do.  No idea.  I think I have been spoiled by the A864 in that it makes mp3's sound great and even better than flacs on the z!  The A even tags wav files 
and keeps the artwork intact.  I simply love my little black beast that is the A864.  Now sound wise, I can hear the bass drum being kicked on every tune played
on this little bad boy and the sound is robust and not fatiguing.  For me the bells and whistles of the Z are no match for the simplicity and power of the A.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,397 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi all.  This is interesting to me in that no one seems to have mentioned the sound of the F and Z android walkmen in comparison to previous models.  
As an owner of an a864 and a z1060 I can honestly say that the biggest disappointement with the Z is the sound.  When I first listened to the Z I thought
man, they made a walkman sound like an ipod lol.  The efffects just seem to make it sound louder.  I honestly can't tell what any of those "enhancements"
do.  No idea.  I think I have been spoiled by the A864 in that it makes mp3's sound great and even better than flacs on the z!  The A even tags wav files 
and keeps the artwork intact.  I simply love my little black beast that is the A864.  Now sound wise, I can hear the bass drum being kicked on every tune played
on this little bad boy and the sound is robust and not fatiguing.  For me the bells and whistles of the Z are no match for the simplicity and power of the A.

Please explain how the Z has an "iPodish" sound...

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #1,398 of 2,024
Hi all,

I buy one, and i waiting to receive. But I have a interrogation about the capacity to drive my I.E.M.. I have a 1964 Q with around 42 ohm. I read in the thread It can drive a 1350 of BD but the quality is good or ...

Tank's

edit: I do an error please don't reply

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,399 of 2,024
Quote:
If you reboot to avoid any background tasks and then leave it on continuous play without the screen on then I can get 20+ hours just like the spec i.e. about 4% an hour. Left on standby it's more like 1% an hour drain. But start to actually use it - with the screen on and Wi-Fi etc. then yes the battery is gone in much less time - but I think that's true of most devices.
Always watch out for leaving something running in the background though - keep an eye on the battery graph in settings - sometimes the gradient is steeper than it should be.

Regarding the EQ it doesn't seem to have a strong effect and when enabled (but still flat) the overall volume seems to drop - so I leave it off these days and just enable Clear Phase for Sony earphones.

I've converted my CDs to FLAC but the results aren't always stunning - maybe it's just the old recordings and the old tech of 16bit 44.1K CD coming though unfiltered. On the other hand the Sony does a great job with MP3s - they also sound better than previous players..

i have Z 64gb for now, is it worthed to upgrade to F? (i am still wondering if you change from Z to F, is that an upgrade or just sidegrade?)

and how to reboot without any background task/program?

Quote:

I have Z 1070 and how can that "full rich warm analog" thing sounds like "thin flat digital" ipod to you?  

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,400 of 2,024
Quote:
I have Z 1070 and how can that "full rich warm analog" thing sounds like "thin flat digital" ipod to you?  

LOL (no offence) 
size]

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,402 of 2,024
Rich and 'Warm analog' is how I would describe sounding my Z as well. Much fuller and richer than the X-series I also have.

Also had an F806 but missed the warm analog sound my Z produces and sold it on. The size of the F was great though..

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #1,405 of 2,024
With CDs - particularly some of my 20yr+ old ones - ripped through FLAC a warm analogue sound is not what you will get. For that maybe choose MP3.

But with FLAC once you get used to the loss of "smooth" and just start to listen again to your collection you will soon appreciate the detail and ambient information missing with lossy compression or on lesser players than the F.

Probably headphone choice makes the biggest difference - and a better way of achieving your preferred sound than distorting the music by fiddling with EQ.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,406 of 2,024
Quote:

i have Z 64gb for now, is it worthed to upgrade to F? (i am still wondering if you change from Z to F, is that an upgrade or just sidegrade?)

and how to reboot without any background task/program?

Perhaps downgrade??? LOL!
Btw, Z is still more expensive than F in Japan.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,410 of 2,024
Hello.

I want to buy this model but haven't listened yet.
I own Ipod touch 4g and Brainwawz M2, but sound is very deep.(I dont know how to describe it). Meanwhile, Senheiser IE 4 sounds better: cleaner and closer.
Please answer some questions:
1) Someone says that F806 can't unlock the potential of XBA-3 (I'm not an audiophile, so I don't find little and not obvious sound problems. Therefore, I decided to buy XBA-3, cuz it's good balanced headphones). Is it true?
Shall I buy amp?
2) I listened NWZ-A866 with my M2. They played so lively as ever.
Could I get the same feelings with F806 and XBA-3? If not, what player and headphones you could recommend for casual listener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back