Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Mar 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,381 of 2,024
Quote:
I never use effects or equalisers but I am pretty sure they are general and will affect spotify..

PS: just tried it out now and it does work. You can actually access the effects from within Spotify's settings. 
size]

Just got both devices, you can't access the audio effects in Spotify, and i can't get the Z series to update to android 4.

Are you 100% sure the effects showed up? can you provide a picture?

Edit, ok so I updated the F series and the effects show up in spotify, but there isn't much bass at all, the EQ is totally rubbish, 400hz ? 

Clear bass doesn't do much, I'm using the Sony MDR XB41 headphones. 

With my headphone amp I get a lot more bass.

One thing is for sure though, the sound quality is better on this compared to my Ipod. Just waiting for my lightning adapter to arrive so I can test the SRS Iwow 3D I have.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,383 of 2,024
I am not sure I understand why you are so dissapointed as you admit it sounds better than  an iPod. I never use equalizer or effects myself but I thought the ones on the F was really good and subtle, remember that 's an audiophile device not a Mega Bass Monster toy by Dre. 
wink.gif

There is noting wrong with the F/Z bass but it looks like you need bassier headphone or one of those Zo amps thingy...

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,384 of 2,024
Quote:
Just got both devices, you can't access the audio effects in Spotify, and i can't get the Z series to update to android 4.

Are you 100% sure the effects showed up? can you provide a picture?

Edit, ok so I updated the F series and the effects show up in spotify, but there isn't much bass at all, the EQ is totally rubbish, 400hz ? 

Clear bass doesn't do much, I'm using the Sony MDR XB41 headphones. 

With my headphone amp I get a lot more bass.

One thing is for sure though, the sound quality is better on this compared to my Ipod. Just waiting for my lightning adapter to arrive so I can test the SRS Iwow 3D I have.

Yeah I also am puzzled why the F's EQ only goes down to 400Hz when the frequecy range does go a lot lower and the supplied headphones also reproduce frequencies around 8 - 10Hz.  Very odd choice of cut off which could probably be changed with a firmware update??

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,385 of 2,024
Quote:
on which? the f or the z? you have both :)

Yeah I bought both to test them :) So far the battery on the Z is really disappointing. Been switched on for about 6 hours and its down to 20%, for about 4 of those hours it was used quite a bit. That's the one thing I like about the Ipod, its battery life is pretty damn good.

Quote:
I am not sure I understand why you are so dissapointed as you admit it sounds better than  an iPod. I never use equalizer or effects myself but I thought the ones on the F was really good and subtle, remember that 's an audiophile device not a Mega Bass Monster toy by Dre. 
wink.gif

There is noting wrong with the F/Z bass but it looks like you need bassier headphone or one of those Zo amps thingy...

Well, dissapointed in the sense that i was hoping I'd be blown away :p, The clear Stereo and DSEE don't seem to do much if anything, the only audio effects that work are the Clear Phase, Clear Bass and the EQ, and why is the lowest band 400hz ? I hope that's a mistake/bug because it makes no sense what so ever.

Yeah I think the problem is I was expecting it to produce lots of bass since it has a built in amp and clear bass settings etc, I do have a Digizoid Zo but I wanted to keep what I have on me to a minimum :p.

I'll make a decision once I can test the SRS IWOW 3D Adapter, if I find it sounds better then I'll keep the Ipod, if not then I'll keep the Sony Z series. 

I have to say though, the Red looks better in person :p

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,386 of 2,024
^

have you also updated the Z to ICS? i think battery life improved with ICS although i dont own a Z, my friend does.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,390 of 2,024
Quote:

how many hour does anyone get from F? how it compared to Z?

If you reboot to avoid any background tasks and then leave it on continuous play without the screen on then I can get 20+ hours just like the spec i.e. about 4% an hour. Left on standby it's more like 1% an hour drain. But start to actually use it - with the screen on and Wi-Fi etc. then yes the battery is gone in much less time - but I think that's true of most devices.
Always watch out for leaving something running in the background though - keep an eye on the battery graph in settings - sometimes the gradient is steeper than it should be.

Regarding the EQ it doesn't seem to have a strong effect and when enabled (but still flat) the overall volume seems to drop - so I leave it off these days and just enable Clear Phase for Sony earphones.

I've converted my CDs to FLAC but the results aren't always stunning - maybe it's just the old recordings and the old tech of 16bit 44.1K CD coming though unfiltered. On the other hand the Sony does a great job with MP3s - they also sound better than previous players..

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,394 of 2,024
Right, I sent the Ipod back, The Sony just edges it out, when I tried the Ipod after listening to the Sony it was lacking something kind of hard to explain :p. The lightning connector was £30, what a rip off lol. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,395 of 2,024
Quote:
The first thing I did was update it to android 4. 

Anyone know why the EQ is messed up? aka starts at 400hz ? should be 30hz at least..

For the frequencies lower than that, you have the "Clear Bass" option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back