Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,336 of 2,024
Quote:

It helps to have the screen brightness set well to the low end, and if you don't need wifi be sure to turn it off, and perhaps even put it on airplane mode. 

That combination helps lengthen run time quite significantly... 

Good luck, hope you enjoy the F.

thanks cn 11        
   i setting off wi fi and bluetooth options, airplane mode off and  the screen brightness set to the low end
   Thanks for your advice I'm enjoying my player
    sorry for my English but I speak Spanish

Quote:
I don't know, if you like the sound with clear stereo and DSEE on, you should continue like that..
It depends on your tastes.
Personlly I don't use them.

thanks Pondu
  I do not know if it's a placebo effect but I feel the sound a little more dynamic with clear stereo  and DSEE on , for me personally it sounds beautiful

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,337 of 2,024
Hello guys...

I am really thinking of buying this player. Coming from a Clip Zip, I am mostly interested in sound quality but also the bigger screen and other features like wifi, eq apps, etc.

One thing I wonder about the Sony F806 is about working with playlists, since I never sync my music automatically and I always have my songs organized this way:

A folder with songs from the same or different artists / albums in it. For example: (A folder named "Best of 80's Pop" or "Guns N Roses") with all the music files directly below that folder. For the playlist name I just use the same name of the folder.

Will I have any issues transferring / organizing my music this way on the F806?

Sorry for the long post, but something "small" like this can become a BIG issue if it doesn't work after spending $300 on a mp3 player. :)

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,338 of 2,024
I'm considering getting this player.

One thing I'm trying to find in a player is the ability to update my music manager with play statistics. Nothing fancy, really, I'd just be happy if it would update which tracks I've player. Ratings would be nice but are non critical.

I have these smart playlists I've been using forever and they all rely on "last played". Having to ditch this system would break my heart.

Anyway, anyone know if this player sends play stats back? I use J. River Media Center for my music manager. It can retrieve play stats for older iPods, but I'm not sure what else. I guess it's really a matter of getting device and m. manager to cooperate, but if this player sends play stats to any desktop software at all that's a good sign.

I've yet to find a solution to this on android. I've heard one or two android players will report stats back to Media Monkey, but even that requires a script.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,339 of 2,024
Quote:

those aren't eq, unique features of a DAP.

eq look like this

Having problem with mine on this EQ screen, when I want to do custom 1 or 2 the sliders are very unresponsive, it takes several tries to get them to move and when they do move they often get stuck in a spot I dont want, and sometimes the sliders don't move at all....so right now the custom eq screen on mine is'nt good for much. I have the A865 too, and the sliders on that work fine. Any ideas or do I just have a lemon player?

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,340 of 2,024
That sounds like a specific problem tied to your player unfortunately. I don't recall seeing any other instances of that slider issue from owners with the latest firmware. I can confirm that with mine the sliders all move normally. Maybe get a replacement?

Oh wait, I just realized that pic shows the older firmware... Does yours have +3 only for clear bass (old firmware), or +10 as with the new one? 

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,341 of 2,024
Please...can somebody comment on my question about playlists on this player? Thanks

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,342 of 2,024
Quote:
That sounds like a specific problem tied to your player unfortunately. I don't recall seeing any other instances of that slider issue from owners with the latest firmware. I can confirm that with mine the sliders all move normally. Maybe get a replacement?

Oh wait, I just realized that pic shows the older firmware... Does yours have +3 only for clear bass (old firmware), or +10 as with the new one? 

Clear bass goes to 3. Also I'm at 68 percent on battery after about 3 hours use. And the battery menu counts up instead of down i.e when I charged to 100 percent it said  "2 minutes 43 sec left on battery, now at 68 percent it says "4hrs 42 min 13 sec on battery". I did look at the Dec 2012 firmware update offered by Sony U.S. but it mentions nothing about battery or equalizer. I phone ordered from BH Photo in NYC so I'd assume its a legitimate unit.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,343 of 2,024
Quote:
Hello guys...

I am really thinking of buying this player. Coming from a Clip Zip, I am mostly interested in sound quality but also the bigger screen and other features like wifi, eq apps, etc.

One thing I wonder about the Sony F806 is about working with playlists, since I never sync my music automatically and I always have my songs organized this way:

A folder with songs from the same or different artists / albums in it. For example: (A folder named "Best of 80's Pop" or "Guns N Roses") with all the music files directly below that folder. For the playlist name I just use the same name of the folder.

Will I have any issues transferring / organizing my music this way on the F806?

Sorry for the long post, but something "small" like this can become a BIG issue if it doesn't work after spending $300 on a mp3 player. :)

I don't think you'll have issues with that as the stock layer allows navigation by folders.
I use PowerAmp when I need Playlists, but most of the time I use the stock player.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,344 of 2,024
Quote:
I don't think you'll have issues with that as the stock layer allows navigation by folders.
I use PowerAmp when I need Playlists, but most of the time I use the stock player.

Thanks for replying.

Now I have to decide between buying one of the older X series (for the hardware keys) or this new F806.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,347 of 2,024
The software update did take care of the equalizer problem I previously posted about. That was the main reason I did it. But I'd agree to the comments I've seen about the update changing the sound of the unit. Mine was the US version. It's nothing detrimental IMO but the update made the unit sound slightly less warm and full, and it increases the loudness/volume capability. In short the unit can play louder after the update, but sounds a little more compressed.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,348 of 2,024
Hello,

Thanks to all for the reviews. I just bought the F806 and I think it's great so far. I have only one major fear:
It is said that the Walkman charges via a computer connected to the USB cable provided.  My question is: can I charg it otherwise ? I mean without a computer, via one of those chargers that goes straight to the wall plug and has an USB interface in it. I have that type of charger for my cheap AT&T phone, I hope I am expressing myself clearly. I didn't want to try until I find an answer but the official Sony forums don't seem to adress this question. 
It would be extremely inconvenient if it only charges via a computer, I move a lot and I am a HUGE music listener, in the subway, in the bus, during shopping, in the gym etc.
So if anyone here could help me, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,349 of 2,024
I've charged mine many times with the usb cable going into an ipod adapter for outlets. No problem there at all. Not sure if it's manufacturer 'recommended' or not though.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,350 of 2,024
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks to all for the reviews. I just bought the F806 and I think it's great so far. I have only one major fear:
It is said that the Walkman charges via a computer connected to the USB cable provided.  My question is: can I charg it otherwise ? I mean without a computer, via one of those chargers that goes straight to the wall plug and has an USB interface in it. I have that type of charger for my cheap AT&T phone, I hope I am expressing myself clearly. I didn't want to try until I find an answer but the official Sony forums don't seem to adress this question. 
It would be extremely inconvenient if it only charges via a computer, I move a lot and I am a HUGE music listener, in the subway, in the bus, during shopping, in the gym etc.
So if anyone here could help me, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks.

Quote:
I've charged mine many times with the usb cable going into an ipod adapter for outlets. No problem there at all. Not sure if it's manufacturer 'recommended' or not though.

Like cn11, I have no problem charging with USB calble going through the AC charger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back