Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Dec 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,052 of 2,024
Same problem with Turok.  Tried twice one via online and another via computer.  Error 011.  :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,053 of 2,024
Sorry to interupt this conversation, but... I'm interested to know how people are finding the screen size for apps, web browsing and typing after having had it for a while? Obviously the screen is smaller than average, but is it really a problem?

And as for the update error - this may sound daft or obvious, but... anyone tried contacting a Sony rep for info? Surely this mysterious number 11 must mean something.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,054 of 2,024
havent used its keyboard ever since i had the walkman F haha... purely for music playback =) i guess its the same for most people owning it as well. if you want to play games or surf, go with the walkman Z, or ipod devices.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,055 of 2,024
Cool. Although, one would wonder then - why does it run Android?
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,057 of 2,024
Sorry to interupt this conversation, but... I'm interested to know how people are finding the screen size for apps, web browsing and typing after having had it for a while? Obviously the screen is smaller than average, but is it really a problem?

As someone who uses a Galaxy Note 2, in comparison the F807 size is a lot more fiddly for typing (even after installing my favorite keyboard, Swype). Since the keyboard is a lot smaller (certainly compared with GNote2), entry can be a lot less forgiving.

Since I have a much more powerful and bigger screened mobile, I doubt I will use the walkman for much app or web browsing. Even on flights I just put the Note on flight mode for video watching/etc.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,058 of 2,024
Quote:
nice.... upgraded

Alex, can you successfully upgraded yours?  Turok & I were not able to upgrade to the new firmware and kept getting the same error message 11.  Let us know how you were able to do it.  Thanks.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,059 of 2,024
I got mine updated as well. Simply used the update from settings on the player. It took a good while (close to 30 min) to download to the F, but then it installed fine once it prompted the restart. 

I have no idea why Purk and Turokrocks are having the same issues. Maybe give Sony tech support a call?

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,060 of 2,024
After using the F807 for a few days, I'm finding I still haven't settled on one music player. I'd rate the default player and Neutron as having very good sound. Neutron seems to edge out the default player in UI for me (once you learn it's quirks), as the default player is functional, useable, but a little bland (and missing my album art! -- still need to investigate).

PowerAmp seems to beat both on features and useability, but it doesn't seem to sound as good (each player has flat or no EQ set). Without knowing how to describe it better, I'll just say that PowerAmp sounds "vanilla" or "bland" in comparison.

The reason I haven't settled on Neutron yet is that I've found that on at least one track, with my Westone 4 using headphone out, the track is unpleasantly distorted -- which doesn't happen at same place/volume on other players. It has to be something the player is doing but I wouldn't know how to figure out how to resolve it.

Anyone else still switching between players or have you settled on one (and why)?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,061 of 2,024
Quote:
After using the F807 for a few days, I'm finding I still haven't settled on one music player. I'd rate the default player and Neutron as having very good sound. Neutron seems to edge out the default player in UI for me (once you learn it's quirks), as the default player is functional, useable, but a little bland (and missing my album art! -- still need to investigate).
PowerAmp seems to beat both on features and useability, but it doesn't seem to sound as good (each player has flat or no EQ set). Without knowing how to describe it better, I'll just say that PowerAmp sounds "vanilla" or "bland" in comparison.
The reason I haven't settled on Neutron yet is that I've found that on at least one track, with my Westone 4 using headphone out, the track is unpleasantly distorted -- which doesn't happen at same place/volume on other players. It has to be something the player is doing but I wouldn't know how to figure out how to resolve it.
Anyone else still switching between players or have you settled on one (and why)?

The stock player is better with the update. On-the-go playlists are actually possible now. Also, the clear bass is much more functional, with the capability to reduce bass if you have a particularly bass-heavy head/earphone. Now it's my favorite. 

My other two favorites are Cubed, and Winamp Pro. Cubed is free, pretty lean on features (albeit with a pretty unique and fun interface), but sounds awesome (used to be better sounding than the stock player, but now both are equal). Winamp Pro (2.99 or 3.99, can't remember which) is very full featured (yet a bit of a dud for the eyes) and sounds very good as well, only being the slightest tick worse sounding than stock (updated) and Cubed. To combat the distortion issue, try turning down the volume slider below the main one by two ticks (it's 'labeled music, video, games & other media'). That cured any distortion for me when using Cubed and Winamp Pro, even if I bump up the bass a bit on their EQ's. The EQ on Cubed can be quite buggy, and cause the app to freeze sometimes.

I ran the gamut of players (Poweramp, Neutron, Playerpro, etc etc...) before settling on the two above in addition to the stock one.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,063 of 2,024
Another method to update ar the bottom of the page. For turok and anybody else who has trouble updating. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//gpad.tv/update/sony-walkman-nwf805806807-20121205/%0A

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,065 of 2,024
Still no luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back