Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #811 of 2,024
A battery rundown test of sorts for me led to a estimated calculation of 20 hours playback, with WiFi active (with occasional syncing), screen off, playing mixture of FLAC and MP3 and through external speakers. Volume level was moderate.

That's quite okay, as I've said before, not amazing, but enough. However, actively using it with the screen on reduces its battery life dramatically as my observations with System Tuner suggest that it automatically clocks up to 1GHz whenever it detects touch input, regardless of what it is actually doing. In addition, the LCD takes up quite a lot of battery as it would with any other device.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #812 of 2,024
Quote:
Thanks for all the impressions everyone.....convinced me to get out of the woodworks to grab one for myself (either next time I go to Japan or have someone coming back from there, Japan Post doesn't like lithium batteries).  Deciding between the blue or the gun metal Sony store exclusive for the 807.  Planning to run this bad boy with an amp setup (my first portable amp setup) and was thinking of a LOD to Pico Slim.  Should be running these with Shure e5c, se530, se535 and also the Westone 4R.  I see from some of the feedback that the headphone out is already nice....but I'm sure a dedicated quality amp will bring out more portential from these IEMs.  Let me know what you guys think.  Keep the impressions comin!

P.S.  Been an android fan for awhile, so the transition should be easy .=)

P.S.  BTW, anyone have any suggestions other than the ebay LOD or the L5 from Fiio?  Is the ALO LOD that much better built?  Any feedback there would be nice as well thanks.

Hope you get one soon.  You may stop using portable amp though after hearing the headphone out of the F807.  Still, I think the Pico Slim will be better but not by much.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #813 of 2,024
anyone noticing any popping sound while plugging any headphone or iem to the F headphone out? it always happens with all of my headphones and iems, although the pop is not dx100 loud, its very subtle. but it is still a popping sound!

not that it bugs me though

edit: also, does flac have gapless playback?

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #814 of 2,024
Quote:
Thanks for all the impressions everyone.....convinced me to get out of the woodworks to grab one for myself (either next time I go to Japan or have someone coming back from there, Japan Post doesn't like lithium batteries).  Deciding between the blue or the gun metal Sony store exclusive for the 807.  Planning to run this bad boy with an amp setup (my first portable amp setup) and was thinking of a LOD to Pico Slim.  Should be running these with Shure e5c, se530, se535 and also the Westone 4R.  I see from some of the feedback that the headphone out is already nice....but I'm sure a dedicated quality amp will bring out more portential from these IEMs.  Let me know what you guys think.  Keep the impressions comin!

P.S.  Been an android fan for awhile, so the transition should be easy .=)

P.S.  BTW, anyone have any suggestions other than the ebay LOD or the L5 from Fiio?  Is the ALO LOD that much better built?  Any feedback there would be nice as well thanks.

I might be wrong but I was under impression that ALO doesn't make Sony LOD anymore. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #815 of 2,024
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #817 of 2,024
I remember when Sony had the slogan .like no other, and that was when they were really unique and innovative. Right now... not really. Just apparently trying to be Apple, but doing it in the worst ways possible.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #818 of 2,024
I remember when Sony had the slogan .like no other, and that was when they were really unique and innovative. Right now... not really. Just apparently trying to be Apple, but doing it in the worst ways possible.

They are so stubborn, and don't want to change...
Steve , While visiting Japan, and seeing all the Japanese with their Walkman and Diskman, decided he should bring this to the US, but in Apple flavor, so in a way Sony's success is what created the Ipod.

Now time for retaliation Sony...bring the big weapons = Walkman with micro-SD + better hardware support with other Sony gadgets (Sony PHA-1 not being USB compatible with its Walkman, where as the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 are!!) and we say why Samsung is doing well, because Samsung is listing to what people want.

Sony please wake up, you know what comes after coma???
You decide between the 2 options...

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #820 of 2,024
Quote:
i use these people

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iPods-MP3-Players-/73839/i.html?item=221151234767&LH_BIN=1&pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item337da40acf&_ssn=shopping-in-japan

but place the order direct with their website to save a few £

http://www.shoppinginjapan.net/

used them for my 1070 too back in march. from placing the order to delivery, zero complaints all the way.

I'm thinking of getting myself an f series from shoppinginjapan. Did you get hit with any custom charges when importing to the uk?

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #821 of 2,024
Anyone else knows if the ALO LOD is worth it (assuming I find it for sale), or other LOD options other than the L5 Fiiio and the ebay one?  Those options all seem kind of cheap and not well built is the reason I ask....least the ebay one is easily replaceable I guess with a good interconnect (which I'm having someone fabricate now).

@jerry cornelius:  If you are looking for a proxy in Japan to buy things, I myself have already setup a proxy service with a friend that's been running for years now with very minimal fees (much cheaper than these bigger proxy sites)....I just know it's kind of sketchy since Japan Post doesn't like Lithium batteries....but that's a risk you're going to take with all proxy services unless you use a carrier like Fedex, DHL, or UPS.  My friend mostly caters to hobby enthusiasts from all over the world for Japanese goods, so if you're interested, you can try contacting him: 

http://proxy.kolektakon.com/

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #822 of 2,024
Quote:

I'm not sure if that they will sound the same.  I once compared three regions of Sony A-Walkman:  European A867 (AdvancedMP3), A865 (Sony Style USA), and A867JPN/Asia.  With volume matched, the Euro A walkman did sound inferior compared to US & Asian units.  It is harsher and less refined with more treble tilted compared to the others two units.  The volume is also more quiet at the same volume setting (approx 5 steps more quiet).  I'm not sure if these results will hold true to the F walkman.  Personally, I'll try to get my hand on the US or Jap versions.  You can even contact alexlow as he may be able to help with the purchase.

And do you know if there is some way to switch off the volume limit? As I understand, each european version of all brands have a output power limitation, but on Cowon, for example, you can switch it of after some manipulations. Is it also possible for sony? Maybe to install Japan firmware? It's hard to believe that hardware for Europe and Japan markets is different.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #823 of 2,024
Quote:
And do you know if there is some way to switch off the volume limit? As I understand, each european version of all brands have a output power limitation, but on Cowon, for example, you can switch it of after some manipulations. Is it also possible for sony? Maybe to install Japan firmware? It's hard to believe that hardware for Europe and Japan markets is different.

From what I understand, it is not possible even if you enter the service mode.  I can't say for sure if re-installing software will work or not as the player has been sold nearly 5 months ago.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #824 of 2,024
well coming from the android crowd, if it's purely a software issue (volume limitation), if you could interface with it  and had an unlocked bootloader to install some kind of recovery or have some factory diagnostic software like Odin (for samsung devices)....you could flash a different rom on it (similar to phones and tablets....that's what makes android so great with the open development).....and if you could find a dump of the ROM of the US or Japanese devices.....don't see why not.  From what I can tell though, I don't see any development on these walkmans running android on forums like xda due to lack of interest probably....you could barely achieve root on the previous models apparently.....so I wouldn't hold my breath....just not enough people using these devices and no interest to run custom roms.

@ purk  thanks for the insight earlier.  I guess the output is really that great huh?  I guess that opens up options quite nicely in case the pico slim runs out of battery heh.  But I really wanted to pick up the pico slim to squeeze out whatever potential my IEM's can provide on the go....and I can't really find a better substitute than the pico slim to do so from all of my researching...the other all mighty portable amps are more for cans and not sensitive IEMs.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #825 of 2,024
Apparently the problem is that the European Walkmans have a ridiculously high output impedance which limits their performance in the worst possible way.
It's just speculation of course, but it's based on what's been seen with various tests and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back