Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #196 of 2,024
Quote:
same reason why people opted to buy heavy and unfriendly UI hifiman or screen-less altmann tera = sound quality

ah, you want boomy bass? You'd better grab Atrio M5 or JVC FX700

XBA-4 doesn't have that kind of bass anyway

Bingo.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #197 of 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherlite
same reason why people opted to buy heavy and unfriendly UI hifiman or screen-less altmann tera = sound quality

ah, you want boomy bass? You'd better grab Atrio M5 or JVC FX700

XBA-4 doesn't have that kind of bass anyway

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bingo.

I've had some pretty naff experiences trying to find headphones that will match the WM-Z's sonic capabilities and that seems to be the same problem matching quality hi-fi equipment... you may get a great amp and match to equally great speakers but the end result could be a miss-match that sounds pretty dire... the WM-Z is a pretty neutral sounding player with a huge soundstage (to my ears, WM-F should sound the same), bearing this in mind you should be looking to match with either a warm but detailed or neutral sounding headphone for best results, if your headphones are bright you probably end up with what I call an 'industrial sound' where things sound clangly and overly bright so not very enjoyable.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #198 of 2,024
Yeah, my Fitear TG!334's are pretty dead neutral to slightly forgiving. Definitely not overly clinical or bright thankfully, and so are a great match. I still haven't listened to my modded Fostex T50RP's straight from it yet, but that's a very forgiving can so should match well too. Thankfully I tend to lean that way in my headphone/earphone choices. I don't like overly bright/analytical.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #199 of 2,024
Quote:
I just bought mine from Sony's online store, the first day it showed available . Last I checked, Amazon was still showing 2-4 weeks until they ship if you order there. I think it depends on where you're located whether or not this one is available.

Which sony/amazon store? I checked it's not on USA, HK, and of course not Australia (where i am :frowning2: ). UK has the F805 but no chance I'm buying a 16G.

Thanks alot! I'm buying one no matter what though I've already got every generation of the A8xx & the Z1060...

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #200 of 2,024
American Sony store can only send it to American address. US amazon hasn't allowed order from outside US yet.

I'm waiting for Japanese 64GB anyway, so all I can say is patience my fellow Australia resident...

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #201 of 2,024
Ah ah ah. Seems quite a few Australians waiting for the 64gb (same here!)
A telling testimony to the pathetic way Sony Australia is managed... We'd probably wait another 6 to 10 months until only the 16GB appears online here!

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #203 of 2,024
I wish they would just add telephony to something like this. It would make the perfect phone for me.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #206 of 2,024
I've received my LOD. For the time being, I'm using the LOD with the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable I got from the E6 as I'm just placed an order for the Ibasso CB06.
The entire sound spectrum (audible to me :p) is now full-bodied. The highs remain a little metallic tinged (a trait of the XBA-4) with slight sibilance and the mids are butter smooth.
Lows are also more pronounce. I can hear the riffs of the bassist along with the punch of the bass drum. BTW, the bass I've always mention is actually about rumbling of the lower frequencies which can be hard to notice unless you're really laying down just paying attention to the music and not the booms of disco songs. I might love bass(bassist here =D ) but under no circumstance do I love muddy bass because of crazy amounts of bass they pump.

Overall, with the LOD the player has finally surpassed the S706F in every way minus bass quantity.

My setup for this round
F806 -> Music Heaven LOD + 3.5mm-3.5mm cable from Fiio E6 -> E7 (NO BASS BOOST) -> XBA-4

For those curious about the LOD, here's the link http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.17.19.3ad562&id=9848615152& .
My player is blue, what's yours? =D

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #207 of 2,024
Quote:
 or the S-Master amp.

That is what kills me here. That coupled with the larger screen. I already carry a larger Android phone for work, I'd love something small, with a tiny bezel, good battery life, and solid audio performance for my personal phone.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #209 of 2,024
So far no scratching at all. Still as perfect as the day I unboxed it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back