Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #106 of 2,024
Quote:
Seems like the EU volume restriction can be turned off in the new F-series, that the first time I've seen this:
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4432446121/EN/contents/08/03/01/01.html

Do you mean there is not AVLS in Z-series like in X-series? There're only 2 thing that pushing me away from Z-series: size and almost unnoticable bass (I tested it on my own XBA-3) and I don't know why. If it's because of something that Sony made to EU version of Z-series...
If it's only because that they made "hardware" limiter, then maybe I should consider F-series as my next player? Form-factor of F-series is almost perfect. Almost...

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #107 of 2,024
Tried with mp3s on my Walkman Z now and yeah, there's a noticable gap. FLAC is the reason I'm considering the F, but now I just might not. Not a huge issue, but still a disadvantage that will have me prefer WAV.

I read that Android 4.1 has native support for gapless playback, so it'll probably come in the next line or hopefully through an update. Still hoping for an ICS update for my Z, which a few months ago Sony told me was planned. This would add FLAC support as Android 4.0 (actualy 3.1 and above) has native FLAC support.

Regarding the volume cap, it sure sounds as though it's been replaced with a warning instead of a cap? Unless they are just talking about the AVLS feature that automatically notifies when passing the 50 % limit for the first time...

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #108 of 2,024
also interested in this unit

i'm planning on using it in my car though (oh i might use it with my etymotics on a plane sometime), as i've given up on apple ever letting me do anything useful with audio.

i have a Seagate goflex satellite, which combines a 500G hard drive and a simple wifi access point.
first i replaced the 500G with a 1TB hard drive, then upgraded the f/w with the cool replacement at hackseagatesatellite.com which speeds up the goflex and provides a lot of new useful functionality.

so now i have a 1TB drive with almost all of my home music on it, flac formatted, and a DAAP server (firefly) that i can access via wifi (woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo)

i plan on using the F806 to log into wifi on the goflex access point inside the car, and use line out of the sony to av-input of my kenwood stereo/nav unit.............1TB of uncompressed music in the car, so i don't care if there is 16G or 32G internal as i expect to keep this unit in the glove box of the car.

what i do care about is 
1.  line out quality of DAC
2.  some say that poweramp (and another app that i forget) actually improves the sound of the sony..........anyone check this out?
3.  android 4.0 or 4.1 if it impacts lossless play back

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #109 of 2,024
Quote:
also interested in this unit

i'm planning on using it in my car though (oh i might use it with my etymotics on a plane sometime), as i've given up on apple ever letting me do anything useful with audio.

i have a Seagate goflex satellite, which combines a 500G hard drive and a simple wifi access point.
first i replaced the 500G with a 1TB hard drive, then upgraded the f/w with the cool replacement at hackseagatesatellite.com which speeds up the goflex and provides a lot of new useful functionality.

so now i have a 1TB drive with almost all of my home music on it, flac formatted, and a DAAP server (firefly) that i can access via wifi (woooooooooooohoooooooooooooo)

i plan on using the F806 to log into wifi on the goflex access point inside the car, and use line out of the sony to av-input of my kenwood stereo/nav unit.............1TB of uncompressed music in the car, so i don't care if there is 16G or 32G internal as i expect to keep this unit in the glove box of the car.

what i do care about is 
2.  some say that poweramp (and another app that i forget) actually improves the sound of the sony..........anyone check this out?
3.  android 4.0 or 4.1 if it impacts lossless play back

I have Poweramp on mine, and did some back and forth between it and the stock player recently... I'd be hard pressed to say I heard any real differences. It certainly does not sound any worse than the stock one. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #110 of 2,024
Quote:

I have Poweramp on mine, and did some back and forth between it and the stock player recently... I'd be hard pressed to say I heard any real differences. It certainly does not sound any worse than the stock one. 

On my Z walkman, I noticed that Poweramp has slightly softer edge to the sound in comparison to the original Sony app.   I have no preference b/w the two apps however.

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #111 of 2,024
Quote:

what i do care about is 

the DAC won't matter much as you'll be streaming to the car's system, that will be the unit/DAC that controls music in your motor.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #113 of 2,024
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #116 of 2,024
Sep 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #117 of 2,024
Is there a special cable from HDMI to optical or how does it work ?

I tested the Z with a Marantz receiver thru micro hdmi to (standard) hdmi.
Take note I have the 1070, the Japanese model.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #118 of 2,024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back