Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #77 of 2,024
Quote:

If you have a DAC such as NAD M51 or a receiver with HDMI input you can use that to transfer audio digitally. I haven't tried myself but somebody on the forum confirmed it was working. 

I don't think the F walkman has the HDMI out.  The Z walkman does however.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #78 of 2,024
My mistake . I  own the Z and presumed the new F also had a mini HDMI connector. 
redface.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #79 of 2,024
That alone would justify the price difference with the 32GB F & Z players....

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #80 of 2,024
Quote:

I don't think the F walkman has an HDMI out.  The Z walkman does however.

Thank you for your replies. I have understood that Android devices are able to give digital signal via USB like PC's. At least some Samsung Android phones can do it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/60

I have Sony Xperia S Android phone and separate USB DAC, but suitable cable is missing. If I find adaptor, I can try it out. I have Android 4.0.4 running. Most propably it won't work...

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #81 of 2,024
Quote:
Thank you for your replies. I have understood that Android devices are able to give digital signal via USB like PC's. At least some Samsung Android phones can do it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/60

I have Sony Xperia S Android phone and separate USB DAC, but suitable cable is missing. If I find adaptor, I can try it out. I have Android 4.0.4 running. Most propably it won't work...

hey kamppi !
i was just asking this on the other thread... it would be great if it worked, specially cause the Xperia Sola is about to get the ICS from S this month, and it accepts microSD cards. it's also quite cheaper (worse camera, less internal memory...) and if it worked would be a great portable rig. the S3 is quite expensive for me. Even the Xperia S is cheaper, and seem to be a great phone. But as far as i've read, there are slim chances that it will work. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #82 of 2,024
Hi!
Does anyone know if one could use spotify or simfy on the f806? I would like to use the player to store offline playlists at home and listen to them, when I'm not connected to the wifi. I asked the support of both websites, but they stated that they didn't know if this was possible as they didn't try it for themselves. This would be a huge deal for me as I would have access to nearly all music and could listen to it without the need of streaming it through 3G.
Thanks in advance!

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #84 of 2,024
Quote:
Does the Sony F series offer "Replay Gain" or a similar method (like Apple offers Soundcheck) ?

Most of the Sony players have what they call "Dynamic Normalizer" ...can't say for sure about the F-series though.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #85 of 2,024
Quote:
Hi!
Does anyone know if one could use spotify or simfy on the f806? I would like to use the player to store offline playlists at home and listen to them, when I'm not connected to the wifi. I asked the support of both websites, but they stated that they didn't know if this was possible as they didn't try it for themselves. This would be a huge deal for me as I would have access to nearly all music and could listen to it without the need of streaming it through 3G.
Thanks in advance!

if it is a Android-app you can use it on the WM-F & WM-Z so you shouldn't have any problems with Spotify.
Quote:
Does the Sony F series offer "Replay Gain" or a similar method (like Apple offers Soundcheck) ?

apart from the dynamic-equalizer it also has a normal equalizer that you can set to your preferences, the bass boost is also separate for those lil times you just need a bit extra... personally I don't use any on my WM-Z the sound is that good.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #86 of 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One small question any news if Sony is updating or releasing any new version of the A series? or the F will be considered as a replacement?

think you may find the the WM-F is a replacement... though it looks like it's not being released in Japan by all accounts

Quote:
I believe there will be a major difference, since J3 is bright and sony's house sound signature is warm

I really cannot see the WM-F being different from the WM-Z sound-wise... if you're expecting a similar sound to the WM-X you'll be disappointed as the WM-Z is pretty neutral sounding and all the better for it imho... the soundstage is a lot wider and the SQ is pretty impressive to say the least... compared to an iDevice it's a big step-up though I can't comment on Cowon players having never owned one.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #87 of 2,024
Hey people, where did you guys buy the F series and how much does it cost?
I was ready to pull the trigger on the WM-Z, but the F series seems to be much more portable.
Besides as it is natively compatible with Flac...

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #88 of 2,024
I just bought mine from Sony's online store, the first day it showed available . Last I checked, Amazon was still showing 2-4 weeks until they ship if you order there. I think it depends on where you're located whether or not this one is available.

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #89 of 2,024
Quote:
I just bought mine from Sony's online store, the first day it showed available . Last I checked, Amazon was still showing 2-4 weeks until they ship if you order there. I think it depends on where you're located whether or not this one is available.

Thanks a lot Cn11 for the review and the answer

Sep 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #90 of 2,024
I'm currently debating of either purchasing the Z or the F for streaming movies via Netflix. Should I purchase the Z player for its larger screen or the F player instead for its updated Android OS? Does anyone know what the advantages the newer OS has over the older version the Z has? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back