Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #2,012 of 2,024
I realize the chances of getting a response in this forum in late 2015 are pretty slim but what the hell, - here goes nothing.
has anyone ever tried opening up their F800 or F880 series Walkman and replacing the battery? my F807 doesn't have the battery life it used to and i found THIS ->http://docteur-gsm.com/en/sony-walkman-f800-series/31125-sony-walkman-f800-series-battery.html
and am wondering  if a.) it is in fact the right battery b.) if it would work and c.) how the hell to get my Walkman open to replace it
confused_face(1).gif

any/all  feedback welcome, thanks.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,013 of 2,024
I never did a teardown on my F807 so I don't know.  However, I do think replacing the battery will be a good idea.  Too bad I can't find any teardown info on the F807... may have to do that myself.

May 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #2,014 of 2,024
Is anyone else having battery issues with their F800 series? Mine is shutting down even when there's apparently 80% in the battery.

May 24, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,015 of 2,024
Is anyone else having battery issues with their F800 series? Mine is shutting down even when there's apparently 80% in the battery.

I've been having battery issues with my F807 for about seven months now,it only charges to 90% and will still play music for around 10 hours so long as i don't do too much searching or change the artist/album too often in a short span of time.

although last night i was listening to an album and my battery showed it had approximately  55% left when suddenly i heard that dreaded beeping sound and the player shut itself down,it has done this on a couple occasions since I started having battery issues,and after a recharge it seems to play fine again.

I do have to say in the 2.5 years I've owned this player I've used it every singe day for anywhere from 3 up to 10 hours a day - so the battery no doubt will need to be replaced soon and so far the only place i've found who  sell replacement batteries for the F800 Walkman series is this site http://docteur-gsm.com/en/sony-walkman-f800-series/31125-sony-walkman-f800-series-battery.html

they offer two options,one is an external battery which you plug into the Walkman's usb port (and is not exactly slim) but they also offer an internal replacement battery  - I haven't ordered either one yet because so far (knock on wood) my F807 is still hanging in there.
I also own an A-17 and an older E-345 both of which still  work great, although neither of them have seen the hours my F807 has because to my ears the F807 offers better soundstage and detail retrieval than either the A-17 or the E-345 (don't get me wrong they are all great players,but the F807 has the best overall sound quality,especially noticeable when using higher end headphones).

the only reason i haven't ordered both those batteries yet is that my Walkman is still hanging in there ,also i have no idea how to take my F807 apart or to replace the battery ,but i imagine I will order both those batteries in the next couple of months just to have for when the day comes that my F807 won't take a charge.when i do i'll post back here how it works out,but it could be a couple months.if anyone else knows any resources for replacement batteries and how to tear down the F800 Walkman and replace the internal battery please share that information here.

EDIT: here is the link for the external battery.it appears thicker than the Walkman (by about twice as much) and while it would be better than not having a working unit,by the time you add that to your Walkman and DAC/Amp if you use one ..well it kind of defeats the idea of portability.for indoors listening it would be great though and it's quite a bit less expensive than buying a new Walkman.http://docteur-gsm.com/en/sony-walkman-f800-series/31127-external-battery-4400mah-sony-walkman-f800-series.html

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,016 of 2,024

when your Walkman shuts down with a near full battery is it after you were using the touchscreen to browse apps or the libraries etc?

also after it shuts down when you plug it back into your computer with the usb cable does it still have the same amount of battery life it did before it shut down on you?  trying to figure out if we're experiencing the same errors

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #2,017 of 2,024
I've been having battery issues with my F807 for about seven months now,it only charges to 90% and will still play music for around 10 hours so long as i don't do too much searching or change the artist/album too often in a short span of time.

although last night i was listening to an album and my battery showed it had approximately  55% left when suddenly i heard that dreaded beeping sound and the player shut itself down,it has done this on a couple occasions since I started having battery issues,and after a recharge it seems to play fine again.

I do have to say in the 2.5 years I've owned this player I've used it every singe day for anywhere from 3 up to 10 hours a day - so the battery no doubt will need to be replaced soon and so far the only place i've found who  sell replacement batteries for the F800 Walkman series is this site http://docteur-gsm.com/en/sony-walkman-f800-series/31125-sony-walkman-f800-series-battery.html

the only reason i haven't ordered both those batteries yet is that my Walkman is still hanging in there ,also i have no idea how to take my F807 apart or to replace the battery ,but i imagine I will order both those batteries in the next couple of months just to have for when the day comes that my F807 won't take a charge.when i do i'll post back here how it works out,but it could be a couple months.if anyone else knows any resources for replacement batteries and how to tear down the F800 Walkman and replace the internal battery please share that information here.

Yeah, my issue is similar to yours - the Walkman lasts a long time in standby or playback without active use of the screen, and in fact it was also affecting my ZX1, though to a lesser extent.
But, since my ZX1 has somehow gotten stuck in a boot loop and the F806 stopped charging altogether, I delivered both to a SONY service centre. Hopefully a battery swap will improve things for the F806, but the ZX1 will probably need a wipe.

I think the F800 isn't too difficult to take apart, removing the screws on the back might be a start. I think I read somewhere in my info search that the batteries used in Walkmans are rated for a meagre 500 recharge cycles, which, over a couple of years, is likely to expended. That's really a lot worse than I thought it'd be.

when your Walkman shuts down with a near full battery is it after you were using the touchscreen to browse apps or the libraries etc?

also after it shuts down when you plug it back into your computer with the usb cable does it still have the same amount of battery life it did before it shut down on you? trying to figure out if we're experiencing the same errors

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes, it does. It starts charging from the apparent percentage it shut down at. But I accidentally left it alone in a bag for too long and now it stopped charging - plugging it in to a power source shows the red battery icon with a charge symbol, then after a few seconds the Walkman splash screen shows up as if it's trying to start up, then it goes blank.
I expected it to boot back up after a few minutes on the charger, but apparently it wasn't charging at all so it stayed blank.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,018 of 2,024
not sure if anyone is still reading this forum but earlier i posted some links from http://docteur-gsm.com and i was going to place an order from them til i did some research and found every site that reviews them gives them multiple negative reviews so i would recommend NOT ordering from them 

i'll have to find a back up battery for my Sony F807 elsewhere.i see some places like Amazon sell external battery chargers/power banks such as this one https://www.amazon.com/External-RAVPower-16750mAh-Portable-Technology/dp/B00MQSMEEE/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

but i don't know if those would work if say my Walkmans battery was completely dead and wouldn't take a charge (i'm not to that point yet,but when the day comes i'd like to know theres something i could purchase that would do that,sure it would add bulk but so long as it was roughly the same size as the Walkman i'd be okay with that)

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,019 of 2,024
  not sure if anyone is still reading this forum but earlier i posted some links from http://docteur-gsm.com and i was going to place an order from them til i did some research and found every site that reviews them gives them multiple negative reviews so i would recommend NOT ordering from them 

i'll have to find a back up battery for my Sony F807 elsewhere.i see some places like Amazon sell external battery chargers/power banks such as this one https://www.amazon.com/External-RAVPower-16750mAh-Portable-Technology/dp/B00MQSMEEE/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

but i don't know if those would work if say my Walkmans battery was completely dead and wouldn't take a charge (i'm not to that point yet,but when the day comes i'd like to know theres something i could purchase that would do that,sure it would add bulk but so long as it was roughly the same size as the Walkman i'd be okay with that)

Sorry to hear that.  I still have my slightly used F807 (blue) that I have no use for anymore if you are interested.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,021 of 2,024

I would thanks i sent you a PM.

Thanks.  The bottom line is that I am not using mine, and it could use a good home.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #2,022 of 2,024
dangit. the battery's officially gone. or maybe the motherboard.

I plug in, it shows the critical battery icon.. but after awhile it just stops responding.

the biggest problem is that i can't move my music library off of it now lol. oh dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back