Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,981 of 2,024
Hi guys... Just got a used F806 in a good condition and awesome price ..i couldn't resist that price really :D ..about 70 $ for it .. So nice Dap,it is a keeper .. Updated it to the latest firmware ... Sounds so nice ,clean and smooth with my shure ..but i want to ask is there will be any harm if i left it in the charger ?
As i want to update the sense me channels and seems to take so long and consumes the battery as it requires the screen to be on all the way !

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #1,982 of 2,024
Hi guys... Just got a used F806 in a good condition and awesome price ..i couldn't resist that price really
biggrin.gif
..about 70 $ for it .. So nice Dap,it is a keeper .. Updated it to the latest firmware ... Sounds so nice ,clean and smooth with my shure ..but i want to ask is there will be any harm if i left it in the charger ?
As i want to update the sense me channels and seems to take so long and consumes the battery as it requires the screen to be on all the way !

Congrats on your F806, its a wonderful little DAP, cute as the bees knees. There won't be a problem leaving it connected to the charger for your situation, if I was going to leave for a few days then I would probably take it off.

With todays technology batteries are quite smart, it will just stop charging at 100%.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,983 of 2,024

Congrats on your F806, its a wonderful little DAP, cute as the bees knees. There won't be a problem leaving it connected to the charger for your situation, if I was going to leave for a few days then I would probably take it off.

With todays technology batteries are quite smart, it will just stop charging at 100%.

thanks a lot .... CHEERS 
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,985 of 2,024
I noticed last night at the top of my screen an icon announcing a new system update [Oct18,2014] available for my F807 (and naturally all F800 series players) and just wondered if anyone has applied this new update yet and if so what changes occurred.I am always leery of system updates as there is no going back to the prior version if you dislike the newer one.

currently I am running android 4.04 build 1.12.0000 and i believe there was another update available about six months back but i skipped that and would think this was merely a reminder of the older update i passed on if not for the fact it shows the system updates date as 10/18/14.

Thanks for any feedback.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,987 of 2,024
  any body noticed the slightly harsh treble of the sony walkman ? ... i noticed that it has an harsh sounding treble than Fiio X3 or even my mobile phone

Personally I've never had any issue with harsh treble with any of the various Sony players I own. unfortunately I haven't had a chance to hear the FiiOX3 yet,though it is widely reputed to have a darker sound (more treble roll off) than Sony. Have you tried customizing the equalizer to bring the treble down (specifically the 6k and 16kHz bands) ? I would also use the clearbass function at a setting you prefer if you aren't already.also if you're using sensitive i.e.m,'s you may be picking up some floor noise/hiss.I only use headphones so this hasn't been an issue,but its a fairly common subject on the forums here that Walkman's don't play nice with some i.e.m.'s

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,988 of 2,024
  Personally I've never had any issue with harsh treble with any of the various Sony players I own. unfortunately I haven't had a chance to hear the FiiOX3 yet,though it is widely reputed to have a darker sound (more treble roll off) than Sony. Have you tried customizing the equalizer to bring the treble down (specifically the 6k and 16kHz bands) ? I would also use the clearbass function at a setting you prefer if you aren't already.also if you're using sensitive i.e.m,'s you may be picking up some floor noise/hiss.I only use headphones so this hasn't been an issue,but its a fairly common subject on the forums here that Walkman's don't play nice with some i.e.m.'s

i am using it mainly with Shure SE535 ... it sounds so nice indeed and more neutral than Fiio X3 .... the first thing came to my mind when i listened to it for the first time : WOW  what a clear and detailed sound ..

i am always a sony fan and love their players too much .. and this one sounds soo clean BUT that kind of treble reproduction mmmm i don't know ... it is not a detailed treble like my (modded) Fiio x3 .. or my mobile Lumia920
may be that is the noise thing that people are talking about .. don't know

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,989 of 2,024
@Mmet just out of curiosity are you using a preset EQ setting or customized? because the EQ settings (especially on Sony Walkmans) can make a drastic difference in the sound.

I know when I first got my F807 brand new from Japan last year I felt it didn't have as much bass and warmth as my older E345 player,yet over time that changed,whether this was my ears getting used to the different sound signature or if the F807 just needed time to burn in i can't say,but now when I do an A/B comparison between the two using the same headphones same settings and song files the F807 is definitely warmer and the bass is fuller,richer and far more detailed,and the F807 definitely has a far deeper and wider soundstage, and even though I use primarily Grado headphones (which are known to be sharp in the higher frequencies compared to other headphones) I have never felt that the F807's treble was too bright over all.

I use a custom EQ setting which is +7 on the clearbass and -3 across the EQ band except for the 16kHz band which is set at 0 (mind you these numbers are based on the updated EQ which instead of going from -3 to +3 (as most sony walkman equalizers do and this one did before the update changed it) now gives you a more detailed range of -10 to +10. then again the EQ may not be your issue,i only ask because I wanted to cover all bases.I hope You can find some resolution since you seem to like everything else about the players sound.I know I love mine,and use it every day no less than four hours a day (usually more)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,990 of 2,024
My Z1050 has slightly calmer treble than my F806, I can hear upstairs heat up a little sometimes on F806 mainly with treble happy T-Peos hybrids. Backing off the volume 1-2 clicks makes it a non issue. For my Rhapsodio RDB Mini hybrid (the F806 main IEM) it's just about perfect.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,991 of 2,024
i will try to make a honest & detailed comparison as i can between Sony walkman F806 & Fiio X3 >>
NOTES :
1- my songs are mp3 320 or flac.
2- i am only using Shure SE535 as i don't own something else that worth it.
3- using only the headphone out of the 2 players .
4- i am not an experienced reviewer .
BUILD QUALITY :
Both are very well built and metal is the major material in both players but Fiio seems more        durable more Tank like construction and more comfortable in holding it with one hand .......on the     other hand sleeker,slimmer & more beautiful sony walkman and also with a very good build            quality very attractive .

* for me both are great ... but i slightly prefer Fiio's build ( i always an old school man
cool.gif
 )

USABILITY : 
To make it short .. when you are on the move and want to keep the player in your pocket or your bag  Fiio is a better player for that it has the physical buttons that the F800 not .... also fiio is so simple and straight forward to music playing... 

F800 .. is an android player with its all versatility and sweetness ... when you are on your desk ...      in the cafe .. in home .. Sony is winner here .. specially with the genius integration of the Walkman    button.

SOUND QUALITY :
 here we are 
biggrin.gif
 .. Fiio X3 (modded with a different opamp but the difference is not so obvious and the sound quality description can be applicable on the stock one )
Warm , detailed , natural and big sound ..... more driving power .. more controlled sound even      when cranking up the volume too high with LOW& HIGH  gain setting .
Sony walkman F800 : (with all enhancements & eq OFF)
     very clean and clear sound .. detailed ..neutral and smooth and very exiting .... when cranking up the volume it looses control but just a little bit and with ear bleeding levels                               actually.....
 AND there is the treble thing ... i am not sure about that yet ( it is present but it is sooo small ) 
it is may be a hint of artificiality in the treble reproduction and i suspect that any headphone or          iem less than 400 $ could pick that thing . OH... and the vocals of the X3 is more natural too .

Some genera i listen to music without eq ... and the others with eq as i love equalizing them and some times heavily so ...
when we put the enhancements into the equation Sony separates itself ahead away from x3.

with its walkman eq with clear bass witch boosts the bass wonderfully without coloring the rest of the spectrum .... all other walkman enhancements i don't notice any change in the sound with my iem .  i also bought Jetaudio plus with the AM3D PLUGIN ... that app makes any equalizer fan happy (me among them) ... specially with the sony's powerful and clean amp .

ON the other hand : Fiio X3 has a 10+/- bass & treble adjustment and it is hardware implemented that means a powerful , clean and distortion free boosting without masking details so much . but things not that beautiful always .. boosting bass with it could affect the lower mid range too  .. the same with the treble boost it is boosting the upper mids too causing an unpleasant effect most of time for me ... so most of time i stay away from fiio's enhancements and some times using it ... that depends on the song and your headphone .

in the end .... i really love both players ... every one did a thing for me ... and every one has its advantages and disadvantages and for now i am using both of them and not sure yet what i like more
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,993 of 2,024

@Mmet just out of curiosity are you using a preset EQ setting or customized? because the EQ settings (especially on Sony Walkmans) can make a drastic difference in the sound.

I know when I first got my F807 brand new from Japan last year I felt it didn't have as much bass and warmth as my older E345 player,yet over time that changed,whether this was my ears getting used to the different sound signature or if the F807 just needed time to burn in i can't say,but now when I do an A/B comparison between the two using the same headphones same settings and song files the F807 is definitely warmer and the bass is fuller,richer and far more detailed,and the F807 definitely has a far deeper and wider soundstage, and even though I use primarily Grado headphones (which are known to be sharp in the higher frequencies compared to other headphones) I have never felt that the F807's treble was too bright over all.

I use a custom EQ setting which is +7 on the clearbass and -3 across the EQ band except for the 16kHz band which is set at 0 (mind you these numbers are based on the updated EQ which instead of going from -3 to +3 (as most sony walkman equalizers do and this one did before the update changed it) now gives you a more detailed range of -10 to +10. then again the EQ may not be your issue,i only ask because I wanted to cover all bases.I hope You can find some resolution since you seem to like everything else about the players sound.I know I love mine,and use it every day no less than four hours a day (usually more) :)  

thanks for your kind reply ... i don't use any equalizer or enhancements of any type when noticed that slightly weird treble thing.. slightly artificial or so i don't know but i will try your adjustment )  .... there are some useful measurements here ... it is in japanes so i used chrome translation :  http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100003942.htm 

it is very valuable review and measurements but i cant understand some graphs in it ... they are new to me

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,995 of 2,024
Anyone interested in a used F807?

LG D801

your best bet would be to post it for sale in the source component forums http://www.head-fi.org/f/6552/source-components-for-sale-trade

but before you sell your F807 you may want to wait until you receive your A17 and have a chance to compare the two players

i've read in the forums here and seen in other online reviews by people who own both the A17 and either an F800,F880 or ZX-1 series player that the latter android based players have clearer resolution,more authoritative bass and much better soundstage.

granted we all hear different and as with any audio equipment YMMV depending on everything from your age to what headphones or iem's you use along with your primary musical preferences and so forth, but .if you sell your 807 now you may end up regretting it,whereas if you hold on to it until you have had a chance to familiarize yourself with the A17 then still want to sell the F807 that option is still there. i plan on pulling the trigger on an a17 later this year though will be keeping my F807 as it has  great synergy with my grado's (and all my headphones really) and ibasso d2+ boa amp/dac. either way I'm interested to know your thoughts on the A17 when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back