Sony NWZ-A818 owners
Jan 4, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After being a Creative fan for a few years (Zen V, ZVM, Zen, etc.), I recently picked up a Sony 816, and it's clearly a winner on the SQ front. Wow, in fact. I also just got a Zune80, and it too sounds pretty darn good. I handed the ZVM to my wife, after wiping the HD clean and loading it up with high-quality rips of her 2,000 favorite songs). The ZVM is nice, but not in the Sony or Zune category SQ-wise to my ears.

So which one do you prefer SQ wise?? The Sony or Zune?

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sony series is tempting, the spesifications is similar to what I already have, the Samsung P2, but the P2 has a fu**ed up headphone jack that cannot handle any load whatsoever.

The alternative is to either buy an amp, the ibasso T2, or buy the 600 series as a replacement of the P2.

Sell the Samsung so you can buy the sony.
wink.gif
If your still not satisfied, then get the amp with it. Sony+amp will probalby sound better than the Samsumg+amp assuming its the same amp.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which one do you prefer SQ wise?? The Sony or Zune?

On balance, I guess the Sony, cause it does have the EQ option and it really has a nice, warm, inviting sound. Having said that, I am not unhappy with the Zune's no EQ status. It matches up very well with my phone collection, and with the MiniboxE+, which has some bass boost and a PtoS switch, I can control the Zune enough to suit my tastes. Let's put it this way, without an amp, I prefer the Sony. With an amp, I'd call it a draw.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 41
Sony A818 owners I have a question. I own one of these, and there is something that has been bugging me.

Transferring in Windows as an MTP device (i.e. showing in explorer) mp3 files to the player - for example an mp3, encoded LAME V0, with id3v1 and id3v2.3 tags with years filled in. Does anyone also get the scenario where the year does not appear on any of those files when played on the player?

The funny thing is that when you sync those same files but instead of just copy paste you sync them in Windows Media Player (and I assume MediaMonkey as well) the year tags appear just fine.

Has this affected anyone else? I haven't seen anything in the threads, and after stumbling on this: ATRACLife Colloquium > MP3 tags and the NWZ-A81*
(cached google page, forum is down for some reason) it became apparent that others also had stumbled on the same problem.

Firmware 1.00 if that makes any difference.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chongy5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony A818 owners I have a question. I own one of these, and there is something that has been bugging me.

Transferring in Windows as an MTP device (i.e. showing in explorer) mp3 files to the player - for example an mp3, encoded LAME V0, with id3v1 and id3v2.3 tags with years filled in. Does anyone also get the scenario where the year does not appear on any of those files when played on the player?

The funny thing is that when you sync those same files but instead of just copy paste you sync them in Windows Media Player (and I assume MediaMonkey as well) the year tags appear just fine.

Has this affected anyone else? I haven't seen anything in the threads, and after stumbling on this: ATRACLife Colloquium > MP3 tags and the NWZ-A81*
(cached google page, forum is down for some reason) it became apparent that others also had stumbled on the same problem.

Firmware 1.00 if that makes any difference.

This is a known bug, and one that I reported in my review of the 616 posted elsewhere in this forum. AFAIK, there's no fix other than to either live without the year info or use a media app to sync. I've moved to using Media Monkey, so it doesn't bother me any more. In fact, I had completely forgotten about this issue until your post reminded me about it.

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #21 of 41
I will try out MediaMonkey.

What method of sync is the fastest, drag and drop or MediaMonkey sync? You would assume it was drag and drop but as long as it appears as a 'special device' - i.e. actually appears as a walkman rather then just any other USB device, it really lags and takes quite a while (in my experience).

Has that been experienced by anyone or is once again just maybe my creaky XP installation feeling its age?

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the drag and drop loading method.

Okay, no problem. Do you find the drag and drop method to be as fast as dragging and dropping on say a standard USB drive?

All replies appreciated!

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chongy5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, no problem. Do you find the drag and drop method to be as fast as dragging and dropping on say a standard USB drive?

All replies appreciated!

Doesn't seem to be as fast as my USB2.0 thumb drives, but way faster than USB1.1. It's been a long time since I just did drag and drop to the Sony, and I don't remember if that was faster, slower, or the same as Media Monkey sync transfer.

By the way, Media Monkey is also a great app for managing tag info, album art, etc. Lots of control, rather than being at the mercy of what WMP wants to do.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, Media Monkey is also a great app for managing tag info, album art, etc. Lots of control, rather than being at the mercy of what WMP wants to do.

Excellent. I get confused by exactly what WMP is doing half the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks very much, and I will have a look at MediaMonkey. Hopefully it is at least remotely similar to the Default User Interface in foobar2000 (what I'm most familiar with).

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use MediaMonkey and dont have a problem at all. I choose which files to sync, and MediaMonkey always transfer the files with all the information. Way better than WMP in my opinion.

ditto, MediaMonkey FTW

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 41
Yeah I have now used MediaMonkey, although the transfer rate is still rather pathetic (I guess most stuff only has to be transferred on the initial first go I guess).

Thanks for the advice - it's so much better then the horrible WMP, although I'm not sure it is better then foobar2000 (as some people say it is).

Why has no one created an MTP plug in for foobar?
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #29 of 41
How is MediaMonkey in terms of getting the album art over to the A818? I ripped my CDs into WMP and they show art on the PC player. I just want MediaMonkey to do the same.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is MediaMonkey in terms of getting the album art over to the A818? I ripped my CDs into WMP and they show art on the PC player. I just want MediaMonkey to do the same.

As long as you can see the album art in the bottom left of the MM window for your songs, MediaMonkey will sync it correctly with the A818

Users who are viewing this thread

Back