Sony NWZ-A818 owners
Jan 4, 2008 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

davidr2287

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased the sony nwz-818 (great SQ, lightyears better than my old ipod touch IMHO) and want to check if I have the latest firmware installed. I currently have Firmware 1.00 installed and have checked the sony esupport website to see if that was the latest firmware. I failed to find any link to the latest firmware so Im asking: Whats the latest firmware and where do you get it??

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased the sony nwz-818 (great SQ, lightyears better than my old ipod touch IMHO) and want to check if I have the latest firmware installed. I currently have Firmware 1.00 installed and have checked the sony esupport website to see if that was the latest firmware. I failed to find any link to the latest firmware so Im asking: Whats the latest firmware and where do you get it??

Thanks.

AFAIK, at this point there have been no updated releases of the firmware for either the 8xx or the 6xx series. I'm not sure I'd expect a new release any time soon, as I've seen no reports of bugs or crashes. I know I've never used the reset feature in months of use.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 41
There are 2 firmware updates for the A80X, the ATRAC version.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 41
Congrats on your new toy! So how far is the SQ difference with your Ipod?

I hope ALO will release soon the line out IC.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, at this point there have been no updated releases of the firmware for either the 8xx or the 6xx series. I'm not sure I'd expect a new release any time soon, as I've seen no reports of bugs or crashes. I know I've never used the reset feature in months of use.

I have the 4gb version(816) and it came with a notice to upgrade the firmware. It added more detailed artist info, and it added rhapsody channels.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 4gb version(816) and it came with a notice to upgrade the firmware. It added more detailed artist info, and it added rhapsody channels.

Interesting. This was released in early December, but it's ONLY for 816 models (not 815 or 818 or any of the 6xx) that meet the following three additional criteria:
1. Already have firmware 2.0 on it.
2. Are being used with Best Buy Digital Music Service
3. Have serial numbers within a designated range

Sony's site cautions the user to NOT install the firmware unless all three of these criteria are met. The update also removes support for all languages other than English, and eats up a little bit more of the available storage space.

This sounds like something specific to units customized for distribution at Best Buy.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. This was released in early December, but it's ONLY for 816 models (not 815 or 818 or any of the 6xx) that meet the following three additional criteria:
1. Already have firmware 2.0 on it.
2. Are being used with Best Buy Digital Music Service
3. Have serial numbers within a designated range

Sony's site cautions the user to NOT install the firmware unless all three of these criteria are met. The update also removes support for all languages other than English, and eats up a little bit more of the available storage space.

This sounds like something specific to units customized for distribution at Best Buy.

I did buy mine at best buy. I think I am going to return it for the 8gb version though. I can't believe how awesome the sq is on this thing. Finally something that comes close to my old minidisc player that I betrayed for an ipod.

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did buy mine at best buy. I think I am going to return it for the 8gb version though. I can't believe how awesome the sq is on this thing. Finally something that comes close to my old minidisc player that I betrayed for an ipod.

I think they sound great, too. I also have a 4GB unit (though I opted for the 6xx series), which I thought would be plenty, but I already wish I had gone for 8GB. Oh well, I'm going to stick with this one until 64GB flash players become widely available, and then choose the best of what's out there at that time. It's probably only 12 to 18 months away, given that Creative is almost shipping the 32GB Zen.

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new toy! So how far is the SQ difference with your Ipod?

I hope ALO will release soon the line out IC.

I actually sold my touch so I can get the Sony! I lasted about two weeks with the touch and couldnt stand the amound of hiss that came out of it. For a $400 dollar player, you would expect it to have at least descent quality, but from all the players that I've owned( creative zvm, creative zen xtra, archos 605), the touch had the worst( and was the most expensive).Lets just say that the touch made my super fi 5's and MS-1's feel like if they arent worth the money, while the Sony unleashed the potential in them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 41
After being a Creative fan for a few years (Zen V, ZVM, Zen, etc.), I recently picked up a Sony 816, and it's clearly a winner on the SQ front. Wow, in fact. I also just got a Zune80, and it too sounds pretty darn good. I handed the ZVM to my wife, after wiping the HD clean and loading it up with high-quality rips of her 2,000 favorite songs). The ZVM is nice, but not in the Sony or Zune category SQ-wise to my ears.

And thanks for that tip about firmware and the 816. Glad you noted the Best Buy connection. Got mine at Amazon for $133 shipped.

Question...is the bottom connection on the Sony a true line out connection? On the Zune, even with the dock, which seems like a line out hookup, the volume control is in play. With the ZVM, using the line out dongle shut off the volume control function. Just wondered if that means no true line out (though the Zune sounds great on my home stereo, another advantage over the ZVM, even with line out).

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 41
The sony series is tempting, the spesifications is similar to what I already have, the Samsung P2, but the P2 has a fu**ed up headphone jack that cannot handle any load whatsoever.

The alternative is to either buy an amp, the ibasso T2, or buy the 600 series as a replacement of the P2.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 41
I'd try the amp first, but I am a major amp fan. No matter how good a DAP/phone combo sounds straight up, an amp can really take it to another level. And if you don't like it with an amp, you can always sell the amp and the Samsung and buy the Sony. Not trying to talk you out of the Sony, but I think everyone should have a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back