Sony NWZ-A810 Full Review
Dec 28, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #91 of 110
i'm waiting for my yuin pk2 [for mp3's.. as i don't like too much bass for music]

but for films and videos i'd like a little bit more isolation and bass.. so what iem's do you think i need? around 100$...

i heard that senn cx300 are a bit over-rated

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #92 of 110
Is there any more info on the S6 and A8 being the same sound quality? I am leaning towards the s618 but if there is something wrong with it (like lower SQ) I will get the A8 instead.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #93 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyarron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any more info on the S6 and A8 being the same sound quality? I am leaning towards the s618 but if there is something wrong with it (like lower SQ) I will get the A8 instead.

It's difficult to know for sure. If you look on the Sony site, it lists the A8xx/81x as a 'top-of-the-range' video/mp3 player, which (to me) indicates 'top-of-the-range' sq as well.

But as someone else pointed out earlier, it could be because the A8xx/81x comes with better headphones. On the other hand, I would assume Sony are saying the 'A' series is number one as a player - and not because of the headphones. . . but who actually knows, unless someone has both.

And having just written that, I'm sure someone at Atraclife had tried both and I think he said they sounded the same - so there are a few variables to choose from!

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #94 of 110
Yeah, I just ordered the s618. I'm pretty excited.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #96 of 110
Congratulations Cyarron and Pugstub. I got the 818 on Christmas, and spent a lot of time researching, and am totally impressed by the great sound quality and intelligent engineering that went into these players.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #98 of 110
just got my 818 today, I'm pretty impressed with the build and the included headphones (gasp), save for the overwhelming bass. But I guess sony was the one that started that whole fad so many years back with their ex-70 so long ago, so they have to push it on you

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #99 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyarron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A8 has an inaudible 0.5 - 1 db boost in the bass department
S6 is more "augmented" with +2db in bass and highs

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #100 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A8 has an inaudible 0.5 - 1 db boost in the bass department
S6 is more "augmented" with +2db in bass and highs

Where did you find that out from?

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #101 of 110
Hey I noticed that when I plug in the phoens when the player is off I hear some very very slight bg static, and I can hear the pop that denotes the presence of a circuit being completed. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if it could have effects on the battery life? Thanks!

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #102 of 110
The NWZ-A818 has No lossless wma support. I tried placing a file and it said that the file wasn't supported, however, it can be copied for just storing on the device. I had anyway almost confirmed this elsewhere before purchasing.

I wonder how the previous guy "assumed" that it is supported?

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #103 of 110
from all the adverts i read all the time at stores, and since the price is essentially the same just a different feature set and the fact that keeping the same internal central components means lower r and d costs - it is probably just to consider the innards the same in both players

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #104 of 110
The NWZ A818 sounds truly beautiful in all respects when I couple it with my Shure e500's. SQ for me is the single most important feature in a DAP and this player certainly delivers in that area. Besides that, as the reviews would tell you, it looks pretty darn sleek and the build quality is definitely remarkable.
Although it doesn't support any lossless other than WAV, I don't listen to too many songs at a time, and put WAV (heh outrageous, I know) for the most beautiful pieces of music and 320 MP3 etc. for others. There is very little background hiss which is audible with my IEM's when the player is paused between songs and it seemingly disappears with music even at low volumes and, ofcourse, when the player is in some sleep mode (which is automatically goes into very quickly when not playing and idle).

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #105 of 110
The Media Manager for Walkman, seems to be a bit slow after doing a transfer, but it is OK for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back