Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #151 of 245
Not for much longer. My Z3 Compact is close enough in capability for mobile use so A15 will be going !

Still maintain I preferred it to X3. My opinion, not measurable fact.

Will continue to use ipod/Voyager for serious home use as I have for several years. Line out of A15 not up to the job. All about comprises I suppose.

You will be using your z3C with an amp that has digital In?

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #152 of 245
You will be using your z3C with an amp that has digital In?

No not for now. I'll use it as is - a portable music device, camera and a,,,,, phone!?!

His res support aptx and waterproof.

edit:.... and noise cancelling.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #153 of 245
No not for now. I'll use it as is - a portable music device, camera and a,,,,, phone!?!

His res support aptx and waterproof.

edit:.... and noise cancelling.

I use mine as camera, as a phone duh! and as "lab rat" fro my android apps, currently stuck with a requirement of showing a damn list with headers and Radio buttons

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #154 of 245

My friend will lend me his X1 for a few days, so it will be easier to make the final decision 
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought used X1 from my friend. All hell broke loose when I paired it with my Havi's and SRH440 
ksc75smile.gif

Can't wait to pair it with Dunu Titans!

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #156 of 245
I think there is still a limit on the number of tracks you can see on the X1, but I believe I've read somewhere that this limit would go away. maybe you'll want to check that if you plan on using a 128gb card.

There is still a limit (of sorts) on both the X1 and the X3.  If you use file browsing, there is no song limit, but if you want to use the options to search for songs using the X1 or X3's menus for Artist, Album, or Genre, then the player will only recognize the first 5800 tracks it finds when building your library.

If all you do is listen by album, its probably not a big deal.  But if you have more than 5800 songs on your card and want to "play all" tracks by a certain artist or by genre (either straight through or in shuffle mode), you may or may not be able to do it, depending upon whether or not all of those songs are in the 5800 in the "library".  This also means that it is not possible to shuffle play all tracks on your card if you have more than 5800 songs.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #157 of 245

If your music collection is not huge, the Fiio UI is not an issue. If you however have a large music collection, the Fiio navigation issues can be avoided if you are willing to reorganize your collection. For example, if you store your music in folders like "\A\[artists that starts with "A"\album\*", then the folder navigation will become much easier.

In this day and age, it is unacceptable that a portable DAP require the user to reorganize their music collection, and then use folder view, because the basic menu functionality of the device to sort by artist is terribly thought out and designed.  The Creative Zen Vision M I bought in 2006 had a UI that was 10x better in every way (including searching by artist) than the Fiio players.

The Fiio players sound amazing, no question about it, but their UI is stuck in the stone ages.  Also there is the fact that, at least on the X3, there is a library limit of 5800 songs and the player cannot properly display album art; it zooms and crops the art on the display.  In the case of the latter, yes I have a DAP to listen to, not to look at, but if it is going to include the capability to display album art, then a user should expect that that functionality will actually work properly.  And the scroll wheel is just terrible; the fact that I can generally use the buttons for 90% of navigation instead of the wheel is the only thing that has kept me from ditching it altogether. 

I'm getting ready to get an A-17 to replace my X3 as a portable player simply because of the shortcomings of the UI and some less-than-adequate aspects of basic functionality.  Given that my DAP is strictly for use as a portable player, and not as my home stereo, I'm OK if I sacrifice a bit in terms of amp power and SQ to have a smoother functioning player when I'm on the road or out and about.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #158 of 245

I think there is still a limit on the number of tracks you can see on the X1, but I believe I've read somewhere that this limit would go away. maybe you'll want to check that if you plan on using a 128gb card.

There is still a limit (of sorts) on both the X1 and the X3.  If you use file browsing, there is no song limit, but if you want to use the options to search for songs using the X1 or X3's menus for Artist, Album, or Genre, then the player will only recognize the first 5800 tracks it finds when building your library.

If all you do is listen by album, its probably not a big deal.  But if you have more than 5800 songs on your card and want to "play all" tracks by a certain artist or by genre (either straight through or in shuffle mode), you may or may not be able to do it, depending upon whether or not all of those songs are in the 5800 in the "library".  This also means that it is not possible to shuffle play all tracks on your card if you have more than 5800 songs.

That's why i got my A17

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #159 of 245

In this day and age, it is unacceptable that a portable DAP require the user to reorganize their music collection, and then use folder view, because the basic menu functionality of the device to sort by artist is terribly thought out and designed.  The Creative Zen Vision M I bought in 2006 had a UI that was 10x better in every way (including searching by artist) than the Fiio players.

The Fiio players sound amazing, no question about it, but their UI is stuck in the stone ages.  Also there is the fact that, at least on the X3, there is a library limit of 5800 songs and the player cannot properly display album art; it zooms and crops the art on the display.  In the case of the latter, yes I have a DAP to listen to, not to look at, but if it is going to include the capability to display album art, then a user should expect that that functionality will actually work properly.  And the scroll wheel is just terrible; the fact that I can generally use the buttons for 90% of navigation instead of the wheel is the only thing that has kept me from ditching it altogether. 

I'm getting ready to get an A-17 to replace my X3 as a portable player simply because of the shortcomings of the UI and some less-than-adequate aspects of basic functionality.  Given that my DAP is strictly for use as a portable player, and not as my home stereo, I'm OK if I sacrifice a bit in terms of amp power and SQ to have a smoother functioning player when I'm on the road or out and about.

Yes, the X1 also has the 5800 limit. I do agree with all your points, and that's why my X1 is currently taking dust and I am using the Sony A15 as my primary DAP.

I still hope that Fiio will improve the UI usability, since I really like the X1 audio quality (but as you said, the UI has serious limitations).

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #160 of 245

I remember now, you're perfectly right.

I too being one of those guys with both the X1 and the sony A15 (and some more), I'm also forced to agree with both last comments. as much as I love the X1 and believe it's a real little revolution to get specs this good at that price, FIIO's UI is really aimed at people who don't care much about UI. there is no gentle way to put it.
those who got used to apple or sony for years may suffer while trying to get used to FIIO.
still when asked about the best sound without robbing a bank, I can't think of a better candidate than the X1. it's all about sacrifices ^_^.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #161 of 245

I remember now, you're perfectly right.

I too being one of those guys with both the X1 and the sony A15 (and some more), I'm also forced to agree with both last comments. as much as I love the X1 and believe it's a real little revolution to get specs this good at that price, FIIO's UI is really aimed at people who don't care much about UI. there is no gentle way to put it.
those who got used to apple or sony for years may suffer while trying to get used to FIIO.
still when asked about the best sound without robbing a bank, I can't think of a better candidate than the X1. it's all about sacrifices ^_^.

Its not just Apple and Sony, a lot of the older players had much more user friendly UIs.  My first foray into players years ago was with Creative.  I had a 7 year old Zen Vision: M that was still working fine when I finally decided to upgrade last year - first with a Cowon iAudio 9+ and then a first gen X3 and I was shocked by the UIs on both.

If my DAP was to be my only music player, especially at home, then I might be more forgiving of the Fiio players because of the sound quality, but its too much functionality to give up for something I strictly use when I'm out of the house.

That said, right after my post here yesterday, Fiio did release a FW update for the X3 to remove the 5800 song limit (a similar fix for the X1 is supposed to be along soon).

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #163 of 245
Hi guys!
I'd like to buy mp3 for about 150$. I'm looking for something what would work with Audeo earphones. I'm thinking about brand new Sony A15 or already used FiiO x3. What do you find better?

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #164 of 245
  Hi guys!
I'd like to buy mp3 for about 150$. I'm looking for something what would work with Audeo earphones. I'm thinking about brand new Sony A15 or already used FiiO x3. What do you find better?

sony A5 hands down, i had an x3 and the sound while is good and warm but has deficiencias, like  floating instruments and narrow soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back