Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1
Nov 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #181 of 245
boring guy tells you why, always in a boring way:

the trebles can be different depending on the low pass filter, but given the extension of most IEMs, it should only rarely be audible at all.

the bass can be a mix of impedance damping, caps, and the impedance of the DAP changing the sound of the IEM(as soon as the impedance response isn't flat but still relatively low).
the A15 is 4ohm, the X1 is 2ohm and it's not so hard to find DAPs and sources below 1ohm(ideal).

here is an IEM measured with different impedance values as a source. no luck I didn't use 2 and 4, but 3 and 5ohm instead^_^, still you can all get the idea. the db variation marked at the bottom for each curve is at 100hz.
the yellow line is the impedance curve of the IEM to show the relation between impedance and frequency response. as soon as the impedance(yellow) of the IEM reaches around 30ohm( close to 9khz), the damping becomes ok for those values, and the frequency stops changing much.  see how the source changes the bass? well it's 100% the impedance, the source is always my O2 I just add a resistor.
you can always avoid that by having an impedance ratio of at least 1/10 or lower, then all DAPs start sounding mostly the same(less than 1db variation).

in this example the bass goes down with a source(DAP or amp) of higher impedance, so it would be bassier on the X1(2ohm) than on a A15(4ohm),  and even bassier on a sansa clip(1ohm) or a xduo X2(0.7ohm).
but it's 100% the IEM you guys are talking about when you describe the sound, not so much a coloration of the DAP. when I RMAA both, they have very little frequency response variations on their own. the changes are because of the IEM's impedance curve you have been using.
if you do the same with a Shure se846, the result will be opposite, and the A15 would be the bassier DAP, then the X1 with less bass, and a sansa clip with 1ohm impedance output would have even less bass.

I just gave you 2 IEMs that will say the opposite when you just describe what you hear in a X1 vs A15 testing. so how could you blame the DAP for 2 opposite changes induced by 2 IEMs? you can't, the guilt is on the IEM you're using for the test. with my 300ohm flat impedance etykid IEM(30$) all my DAPs sound petty much the same. because it's an IEM that won't get any hiss(not sensitive enough), and it also will not care about the DAP's impedance because with stable 300ohm, the damping factor is always great. so that's a third situation, almost no change at all between the 2 DAPs. ^_^

I explain this so that you guys avoid being so fast to label a DAP as being colored or boomy or whatever. almost all have a flat signature nowadays when plugged into a load(IEM/headphone) that isn't too low or too changing). what you described as the DAP's sound is always the sound of a combo DAP+IEM, usually not the sound of the DAP alone. so at least be clear as to what IEM/headphone you used when you describe your experience. it's mighty important if you want to make any sense!
You are right but many will not believe as they did spend to much money on a DAP.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #182 of 245
a happy camper is happy, there is no problem with being happy for the wrong reason. what sucks is being unhappy for the wrong reason ^_^.

what I care about are the other members reading about that bright dap, or warm dap, or whatever, that will pay for it and not get the expected result because of a misunderstanding.
just remembering to define our experience as the result of a combo(DAP+IEM) instead of just the DAP, effectively lowers the risks of saying something wrong while trying to help.
even if people don't agree with what I posted above, it doesn't cost much to talk about the right experience including the IEM/headphone used, instead of making sometimes hasty conclusions about the DAP alone.

also that way when someone finds a combo to works great, readers might get tempted to get that very combo and will most likely get the same experience described.

it's a win/win situation. the writer is saying a conditional truth, if we get out of his conditions(same DAP, same IEM) and get a different result, that doesn't make him a liar. and the reader gets more meaning out of the posts. no reason not to do i IMO.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #183 of 245
Fiio X1 can only limit 5800 songs. If I get that, is there any way to remove this limit? 128GB can fit in well?
What if I get A15? What phones should I change to? I'm actually very very tempted to get A15 because of the soundstage. But it doesnt sound nice with ESW9.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #184 of 245
  Fiio X1 can only limit 5800 songs. If I get that, is there any way to remove this limit? 128GB can fit in well?
What if I get A15? What phones should I change to? I'm actually very very tempted to get A15 because of the soundstage. But it doesnt sound nice with ESW9.

A15 is limitless WOOHOOO :D i once loaded like 12,000 FLAC files to it (classical music fan here), seems fiio x1 removed song limit with a fw update if i'm correct

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #185 of 245

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781372/official-x1-stable-firmware-discussion-thread-version-1-5-long-hard-work-brings-concrete-improvements
anyway the limit always was only for some sorts of browsing, not a real hard limit.

the X1 can go about 10db louder than the A15 so it's one thing to consider when getting a headphone.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #186 of 245
So after reading 13 pages of info I'm sold on the Sony as ease of use is important for me.

I need some IEM's that work well for it but don't cost the earth.

Anyone have any experience with these? Sony MDR-EX650

I just need them to sound good and work ok.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #187 of 245
  So after reading 13 pages of info I'm sold on the Sony as ease of use is important for me.

I need some IEM's that work well for it but don't cost the earth.

Anyone have any experience with these? Sony MDR-EX650

I just need them to sound good and work ok.

i believe that sony Walkmans and iems have a great synergy with each others 

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #189 of 245

Take a look at Sennheiser IE80 and V-Moda ZN.

They both look like nice IEM's but not sure at their prices (£225 and £150) compared to the £40 sonys that I'd see them as value for money. I'm probably willing to spend up to £100.
My hearing is probably not that accurate nowadays as well to appreciate real high end stuff.

Thanks for the tip though.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #192 of 245
Dont even think about fiio x1. Its pure garbage. I rather listen to music through potatos than the fiio x1. I dont know about sony.

thanks for the constructive argument. I'll go throw mine in the dumpster right away now that I'm convinced.
popcorn.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #194 of 245
Fiio X1 sounds like ****. I havent listened to sony a15 Im hundred % sure anything will sound better than the crappy fiio x1. Dissapointing x1 unit. It has a strobg amp but still crappy quality, my ****ty huawei phone sounds better than fiio x1

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #195 of 245
Fiio X1 sounds like ****. I havent listened to sony a15 Im hundred % sure anything will sound better than the crappy fiio x1. Dissapointing x1 unit. It has a strobg amp but still crappy quality, my ****ty huawei phone sounds better than fiio x1

I'm not a FiiO fan but I know that the X1 WILL NOT sound ***** very few things do to be honest. You're observations lack a little subtlety and insight maybe:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back