SONY NWZ-A10 Series
May 30, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #7,036 of 7,541
What would technically be the highest quality file/format the A15 can play?

May 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #7,038 of 7,541
Flac, wav, aiff, apple losse in 24/192Khz

Thanks - so the different formats make no difference when it comes to playback? Only the bitrate etc

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #7,039 of 7,541
Well I am really surprised!!!

A Fiio E12A headphone amplifier just landed so I could not resist trying it out connected to my A17 while it was charging.  I confess to having been a sceptic about any improvement to the AQ as the feed in is from analog out of the A17 so it made no sense that an amp could improve it.

Wrong.

The increase in air around the music really floored me AND the bass boost on the Fiio brought up the bottom end very nicely, much better than could be managed via the SONY custom controls.  And it was far better and more "alive" than similar music fed into Sennheiser HD650's from a highly modded Benchmark DAC1 with digital feed in from a Meridian server.

So, using the output to HiFiman HE400s has been a real ear opener.  I've yet to try it out on the A25 but I've no doubt the same experience lies ahead with it.  And I'll fix up leads for the Sennheiser HD800 and see how that sounds.

Playing with these toys is such fun, particularly when you make an unexpected discovery!  And the AQ via a headphone setup like this is a tiny fraction of the thousands of dollars needed to get similar (and maybe not as good) AQ from amps and speakers.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #7,040 of 7,541

This is my current micro mini desktop speaker set

As I said in the a20 thread In fact if it wasn´t for the microsd slot, hires decoding and extended battery I would still keep my many years old A-866 - demoed the a25 on a shop and seemed like they both sound as good I assure you ! almost no difference in menus all the same filters are available - as well as bt

But.. am trying to source the ap/international a25, two more notches up the volume would be nice and fm radio is a must for me

shipping to europe there´s this eglobalcentral but feedback is mixed and  still didnt answer my pre sales simple questions (2 days now) anyone with feedback on these guys ?

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #7,041 of 7,541
Well I am really surprised!!!

A Fiio E12A headphone amplifier just landed so I could not resist trying it out connected to my A17 while it was charging.  I confess to having been a sceptic about any improvement to the AQ as the feed in is from analog out of the A17 so it made no sense that an amp could improve it.

Wrong.

The increase in air around the music really floored me AND the bass boost on the Fiio brought up the bottom end very nicely, much better than could be managed via the SONY custom controls.  And it was far better and more "alive" than similar music fed into Sennheiser HD650's from a highly modded Benchmark DAC1 with digital feed in from a Meridian server.

So, using the output to HiFiman HE400s has been a real ear opener.  I've yet to try it out on the A25 but I've no doubt the same experience lies ahead with it.  And I'll fix up leads for the Sennheiser HD800 and see how that sounds.

Playing with these toys is such fun, particularly when you make an unexpected discovery!  And the AQ via a headphone setup like this is a tiny fraction of the thousands of dollars needed to get similar (and maybe not as good) AQ from amps and speakers.
nice, using it with headphones out or line out?

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #7,043 of 7,541

This is my current micro mini desktop speaker set

As I said in the a20 thread In fact if it wasn´t for the microsd slot, hires decoding and extended battery I would still keep my many years old A-866 - demoed the a25 on a shop and seemed like they both sound as good I assure you ! almost no difference in menus all the same filters are available - as well as bt

But.. am trying to source the ap/international a25, two more notches up the volume would be nice and fm radio is a must for me

shipping to europe there´s this eglobalcentral but feedback is mixed and  still didnt answer my pre sales simple questions (2 days now) anyone with feedback on these guys ?

this is the Japanese version? and as you sound?

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #7,044 of 7,541
  this is the Japanese version? and as you sound?

Hi there

No it´s the regular european version but my guess is the vol restrictions where not so anal at the time as it sounds perfectly good paired with any of my equipment options

If anyone shows some interest and because I will be replacing it I will probably list it up for sale soon enough, it´s the 32GB version

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #7,046 of 7,541
  I had the European version and I remember well how much they differ and that is the terrible sound gives the European version, it is easier to listen to music from a cheap phone!

well thks for your helpful comment (sigh) none of those adjectives really apply surely but probably you should have done what I did regardless of the source brand ?

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #7,047 of 7,541
ksc75smile.gif

nice, using it with headphones out or line out?

Headphones out into the Fiio and headphones connected to the Fiio.

And I finally got around to modding an unused balanced cable for the Sennheiser HD800.  Of course the mod to use a 3.5mm plug (messy small things to solder into) meant it is now unbalanced.

BUT the AQ is a revelation.
deadhorse.gif

And I'm now hearing the nicest audio from the A17 via Fiio & the HD800.
darthsmile.gif
 So I wonder if perhaps the only real limitation to the A17 is the amplifier although that makes no sense to me because it is illogical to expect the Fiio to improve on output from the SONY, yet it does appear that is happening.  The clarity is excellent and there is more bass from the HD800 (with a boost from the Fiio) than I've ever heard!

Bottom line is I'm one happy camper.
ksc75smile.gif

I had flirted with an A&K Jr but did not appreciate any extra AQ it might have offered and I found the operating system a PIA and not very user friendly after the SONY.  Mind you it was heaps ahead of a Cowan previously owned but not as clean as the A series.  So it was quickly sold.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #7,049 of 7,541

well thks for your helpful comment (sigh) none of those adjectives really apply surely but probably you should have done what I did regardless of the source brand ?

Yesterday I made up my own less bulky connector between the A17 and the Fiio 12A Mont Blanc.  I just took two plugs and silver soldered short heavy gauge wires between then and covered my sins with heat shrink tubing.  AQ is fine + less bulky in the pocket.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #7,050 of 7,541
  Yesterday I made up my own less bulky connector between the A17 and the Fiio 12A Mont Blanc.  I just took two plugs and silver soldered short heavy gauge wires between then and covered my sins with heat shrink tubing.  AQ is fine + less bulky in the pocket.

your picture I like more, if you put them on the Velcro then with this bundle, you can go outside!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back