SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 28, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,526 of 7,541
I don't refuse to try them for free .. But don't have that luxury sadly as they are not available in my country.. I have to purchase and import every thing in my audio rigs .. And I already have a higher end amp than both fiios got it about 2 months ago ....

Fair enough,  I can relate to limited local supply of portable audio devices.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,527 of 7,541

Thank you for your reply. I pick Sony DAP because it has great battery life and easy navigation ui.

I wonder other DAPs battery life such as fiio or ibasso when line out with external dac and amp. Are these DAPs battery life reduced or is it sony DAP only?

I personally have never tried an external DAC/Amp with any of the DAP's I have audtioned but based on following other forums for those other DAP's I believe it is only an issue with Sony's DAPs.  In fact in most cases using an external Amp or DAC/Amp with non Sony DAP's can improve battery life for the DAP. Personally I don't think Sony ever purposely designed their DAP's for proper LO capability.  The ability to do LO through the WM port has never been mentioned as a feature by Sony for any of their DAP's.  Sony does not make a WMport to 3.5 mm cable of their own for their DAP's to be used for LO to an external amp.  Most people doing LO to an external amp are using the Fiio L5 cable.  It wasn't until Sony started making their own portable DAC/Amps that they came out with their own cable to connect their DAP's to their own DAC/Amps and it seems only for the Asian market.  This despite never fixing the issue with the huge drop in battery life when going LO to a DAC/Amp with the Sony cable.  Just another case of Sony doing what Apple does and keeping everything as proprietary as possible.

I use my A17 via HO to my Fiio E12A with the A17 volume maxed.  I find simply increasing the volume from 29 to 30 (max volume) on my A17 when connected to my E12A opens up the sound noticeably to my ears.  This leads me to believe Sony is using a fixed volume output at max volume for use with external amps  vs a true LO implementation,  It is certainly cheaper and easier to go the fixed volume output route than to implement proper LO functionality via a separate LO port or shared through the HO and controlled through the DAP menus.  All other DAP makers that I know of that offer LO capability mention it as a feature of the DAP unlike Sony.  They also typically have either the separate LO port on the DAP or share LO through the HO and allow you to turn it off and on in the DAP menu's.  Again something Sony does not offer on any of their DAP's.  Finally, Sony does not offer a high enough output voltage on any of their DAP's for good LO implementation which again points to the fixed volume scenario for external amp use.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #6,528 of 7,541
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

That is really unfortunate. The problem is my sony a17 always runs out of battery faster than my ifi micro idsd.

Btw, really appreciate your reply.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,529 of 7,541
file transfer via Bluetooth is weaker than the USB cable connection!

USB only gets me like 5/Mbps while a cheap card reader gets me 15/Mbps.

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

That is really unfortunate. The problem is my sony a17 always runs out of battery faster than my ifi micro idsd.

Btw, really appreciate your reply. :D

Maybe only amp from WM-port line out.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #6,536 of 7,541
I personally have never tried an external DAC/Amp with any of the DAP's I have audtioned but based on following other forums for those other DAP's I believe it is only an issue with Sony's DAPs.  In fact in most cases using an external Amp or DAC/Amp with non Sony DAP's can improve battery life for the DAP. Personally I don't think Sony ever purposely designed their DAP's for proper LO capability.  The ability to do LO through the WM port has never been mentioned as a feature by Sony for any of their DAP's.  Sony does not make a WMport to 3.5 mm cable of their own for their DAP's to be used for LO to an external amp.  Most people doing LO to an external amp are using the Fiio L5 cable.  It wasn't until Sony started making their own portable DAC/Amps that they came out with their own cable to connect their DAP's to their own DAC/Amps and it seems only for the Asian market.  This despite never fixing the issue with the huge drop in battery life when going LO to a DAC/Amp with the Sony cable.  Just another case of Sony doing what Apple does and keeping everything as proprietary as possible.

I use my A17 via HO to my Fiio E12A with the A17 volume maxed.  I find simply increasing the volume from 29 to 30 (max volume) on my A17 when connected to my E12A opens up the sound noticeably to my ears.  This leads me to believe Sony is using a fixed volume output at max volume for use with external amps  vs a true LO implementation,  It is certainly cheaper and easier to go the fixed volume output route than to implement proper LO functionality via a separate LO port or shared through the HO and controlled through the DAP menus.  All other DAP makers that I know of that offer LO capability mention it as a feature of the DAP unlike Sony.  They also typically have either the separate LO port on the DAP or share LO through the HO and allow you to turn it off and on in the DAP menu's.  Again something Sony does not offer on any of their DAP's.  Finally, Sony does not offer a high enough output voltage on any of their DAP's for good LO implementation which again points to the fixed volume scenario for external amp use.

Using the FiiO LO cable to feed my E12 has given me good results but proper volume to even an efficient headphone like the Z7 requires high gain and a volume setting above 50%. If I connect via the headphone out at full volume will I introduce noise/distortion?

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #6,537 of 7,541

Using the FiiO LO cable to feed my E12 has given me good results but proper volume to even an efficient headphone like the Z7 requires high gain and a volume setting above 50%. If I connect via the headphone out at full volume will I introduce noise/distortion?

Maybe noise but is not that hearable, i couldn't hear any hiss with my Oppo HA-2, but certainly no distortion

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #6,538 of 7,541
Is gapless playback still an issue with this player?

I have a lot of continuous dance music discs (individual tracks but a dj mix) ripped to flac and wondered if the sony will play them ok?

Cheers

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #6,540 of 7,541
oh, ok i must have read conflicting reports or miss understood

is gapless mp3 (320kbps) ok as well?

and is this the same for the a25?

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back