SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #6,301 of 7,541
I recommend the line out of the a10 and the FiiO e12a the 2 are Fantastic.
It's a very light rig, huge run time, and the muses02 sound like no other opamp, once you listen to this amp you won't unplug it, it's put me back in my chair speechless.

Can you post some pictures of how the stack looks like? I have seen videos of unboxing E12A. It really is a big one. I don't think it will fit in my pocket.  I am planning to buy one by Christmas however.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #6,302 of 7,541
I bought this official case
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6,304 of 7,541

Can you post some pictures of how the stack looks like? I have seen videos of unboxing E12A. It really is a big one. I don't think it will fit in my pocket.  I am planning to buy one by Christmas however.

I have been running an A17 + E12A stack for about 6 months now and they do sound amazing together.  Prior to that I had my A17 paired with the E11k which was also a nice combo.  I was reluctant at first to upgrade to the E12A because it is quite a bit bigger than the E11K.  But once I stacked them it wasn't that bad, about 1.7 cm longer and about 5 mm wider.  It took some time to get use to the slightly larger stack but the better sound quality made me forget about it pretty quickly.

With Fiio reducing the size of their 2nd gen X3 and X5 DAP's the E12/E12A is actually 28 mm longer than the new X3 and 16 mm longer than the X5.  So I am hoping Fiio will bring out a new smaller version of the E12/E12A to fit the smaller form factors of their latest DAP's.  To me that would make them an unbeatable combo in terms of portability and sound at this price point.

I would post pictures of my stack but the camera on my phone isn't working at the moment.  My company is taking their time getting me a new phone.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #6,305 of 7,541
Impression on DSEE HX:  When playing 128 kbps mp3  songs,  sound is clearer when turned on ( when turned off, sound will look like faded picture when you try to draw it. When turned on, you  can hear background instruments volume increase slightly, as in very slightly, however, you can hardly hear them when DSEE HX is turned off).  I don't know if this is placebo or not, but I have been listening to it 10 times already sweitching the feature on and off. Any one here experienced the same?

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,306 of 7,541
  Impression on DSEE HX:  When playing 128 kbps mp3  songs,  sound is clearer when turned on ( when turned off, sound will look like faded picture when you try to draw it. When turned on, you  can hear background instruments volume increase slightly, as in very slightly, however, you can hardly hear them when DSEE HX is turned off).  I don't know if this is placebo or not, but I have been listening to it 10 times already sweitching the feature on and off. Any one here experienced the same?

And with lossless flac it sounds weird sometimes, f.e piano solo makes thepiano artificially reverb (metallic reverb kindof a bathroom feel) and a large work f.e Mozart's Mitridae re di Ponto arie "Se viver non degg’io" sound nice but not spectacular i note it lowers volume and loses a bit of detail

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #6,307 of 7,541

I'm very interested to hear what people think about this. It's very hard for me to tell the difference between DSEE HX being on or off because I simply don't have that much time to sit and test it. It seems to me that what has been lost in the encode cannot be gained back, even by some special algorithm or something. As a result, DSEE HX is surely useless? I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #6,308 of 7,541

And with lossless flac it sounds weird sometimes, f.e piano solo makes thepiano artificially reverb (metallic reverb kindof a bathroom feel) and a large work f.e Mozart's Mitridae re di Ponto arie "Se viver non degg’io" sound nice but not spectacular i note it lowers volume and loses a bit of detail

I only heard bathroom feel when turning on VPT, not with DSEE HX. I played First Love by Hikaru Utada Instrumental Version with the feature turned on, no difference in sound is noted. As stated earlier artificial reverb is only heard if I turn on VPT. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6,309 of 7,541
Nope, I don't think there is something gained back from something that has been already lost ( during compression process). Maybe Sony just made some DSP effects for this feature. I don't know. But I can certainly hear difference in sound when playing poor quality mp3 files.

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #6,312 of 7,541
  I believe DHXX increases the audio wave or something, it is more then just a simple Eq adjust. 
I'm with Gerelmx tho, makes quality tracks sound wonky. 

I listen to my tracks with DSEE Off Gvae a 2nd shot listening to the overtura of Le Nozze di Figaro DSEE OFF  superb sound of Mozarteum's orchestra (Phillips complete mozart edition). turn DSEE ON and sounds fine at times but as soon as something highpitched comes it sound wonky, like if the "room" was restricted and the sound had no room to bounce and echo properly as where it was recorded in the mozarteum's hall/theater

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #6,313 of 7,541

I believe DHXX increases the audio wave or something, it is more then just a simple Eq adjust. 
I'm with Gerelmx tho, makes quality tracks sound wonky. 

Maybe it's just a matter of sound preference.  However, I will try to purchase some decent headphones. Maybe it's just my headphones. 

I do have the XBA-A3 for $300 they're a steal, they sound close to the Z5's many have said that

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,315 of 7,541

I'm very interested to hear what people think about this. It's very hard for me to tell the difference between DSEE HX being on or off because I simply don't have that much time to sit and test it. It seems to me that what has been lost in the encode cannot be gained back, even by some special algorithm or something. As a result, DSEE HX is surely useless? I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I can readily detect a difference between DSEE HX being on or off on my A17 regardless of the IEMs I am using. Most of my files on it are 256 lossless with some higher FLACs. I prefer to leave the DSEE HX off.

On my ZX1 I can differentiate the sound settings as well but leave them all off.

The DSEE HX switch on my PHA-3 has a subtle but very positive effect when running my Z7s with balanced Kimber Cables so it is left on.

On my HAP-S1 I leave the DSEE on all the time as it has a pronounced positive effect.

For me Sony is a mixed bag. The DSEE HX on the A17 is useless to me but others may prefer the sound signature with it on so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back