SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5,776 of 7,541
  Just updated to new firmware (after Mediago informed of new version) All went smoothly and very pleased re the new internal memory/sdcard changes. But am still disappointed re the minor issue (to me!!) which is still present.

I sometimes want to connect via Bluetooth to a single small portable speaker-the Anker A7910. (Things like spoken word podcasts to share with friends in the room) Crucially this hasn't got any volume control.  The A17 connects fine, defaults to a too loud volume......  BUT the volume control on the A17is now disabled whenever a Bluetooth connection is made. So its impossible to turn the volume down. It doesn't matter what level the volume was set at before enabling the Bluetooth connection. The volume is too loud and I have no way to turn it down!!  I have tried other devices -such as an android phone and a tablet - they connect via Bluetooth to the Anker speaker just fine and in those cases the volume control on the device still works!!!   Only on my A17 does it seem to get disabled. I know it's an issue as I have seen a few others mention it in Sony help forums. 

PS it isn't a major issue to be honest. The Anker speaker came with a small 3.5mm jack to microusb cable. If I connect with that , then the A17 volume controls still work. But a Bluetooth connection -where volume still works on the A17 would be neater!!!   Perhaps in the next firmware update (LOL!!! )
Regards to all.

I can see how that can be frustrating. I connect my A15 to a Bose Soundlink Mini and the volume rocker on the A15 becomes the volume control of the Bose. And it allows me to adjust the volume anywhere from 0 to 120. So my guess is, that is how the Bluetooth Profile interface between these two devices have been configured and not necessarily an issue with the any of the device's functionality.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,777 of 7,541
  oh yeah, i was aware of that because in the past i updated to 1.01 and  then 1.10 without media go on my player,i only mentioned media go because that is how gerelmx1986 was made aware of the update and as my initial search engine searches kept landing me on pages with 1.10 as the latest update i mistakenly thought Sony were lagging getting the exe file online and that presently the only way to get it was by installing media go.but i was wrong,  it happens (more often than i care to admit)  thanks for your feedback though,i have it installed now and apologize for any confusion or if my initial post came off rude,it wasn't meant to.cheers!

Yea, even I had no luck finding the .exe file for 1.20. So I just went ahead with the 'Media Go' process of updating it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5,778 of 7,541
One thing i noted with the memory "switch" is that the device restarts, is not a smooth transition, like discconected memoria system and mount sd card  and visceversa

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #5,779 of 7,541
I just tried my A15 > Oppo HA-2 with the custom wm port to usb B cable I got from Amazon. Sure it cost a bit (+ shipping to NZ) but the improvement in sound compared to the wm port to 3.5mm cable I was using before is definitely worth it.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,782 of 7,541
Well I couldn't wait any longer. I ordered an NWZ-A17 from Best Buy Canada tonight. Bestbuy has had no stock in stores and very little online stock. They just got four more in so I pulled the trigger.

Having only used an Ipod since 2009, I do have an operational question.
With my ipod I only use playlists and by artist.
I currently have:
J&B (jazz and blues)
1960's AM
1960's FM
1970's AM
1970's FM
1980's
1990's
2000's
2010 plus
Top 100 (which I change constantly and also use on my phone).

I don't use genre but I always have correct song title, band name, album name (if possible), year of release and album art.

Thanks for any guidance!

Shane D

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #5,783 of 7,541
First think i noticed with the update is that it does not rebuild the library, when it has been switched off for a while..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5,784 of 7,541
First think i noticed with the update is that it does not rebuild the library, when it has been switched off for a while..:)

So is there now an option to decide when to rebuild the library? Because that is the single most annoying feature at the moment. At least for me.

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #5,785 of 7,541
So is there now an option to decide when to rebuild the library? Because that is the single most annoying feature at the moment. At least for me.

I am not sure of an option to rebuild but when i updated to 1.20 that annoying rebuilding of library stopped

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #5,786 of 7,541
don't know if i can now use the equalizer and vpt on the Hi-res files , why the option upsambling / downsampling is still there !!

L noted that too, but yes you can use it on Hi-res without the option

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #5,788 of 7,541
Updated firmware to 1.20 and sounds seems to have improved

I updated the firmware on my A17 yesterday and when I started listening to it after the update I noticed changes in the sound quality.  The sound seems more detailed and clear and the bass seems tighter and more defined.  I am definitely loving this improved sound.

The Sony support website gives the following details on the 1.20 firmware update. 

File Description

This utility updates the Walkman® player to firmware version 1.20 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version 1.10:
  1. The memory type (such as a built-in memory/SD card) can now be selected even while connected via USB
  2. Addresses an issue where, in rare cases, sound may not be produced when the WALKMAN is connected with the digital amplifier
  3. Provides additional function updates

Addresses an issue where, in rare cases, sound may not be produced when the WALKMAN is connected with the digital amplifier.  I have to wonder if this portion of the firmware update caused the sound to change as I am using my A17 with a Fiio E12A amp. 

I would love to hear from any of you who are using your A10 series with an external amp as to whether or not you hear a difference in sound quality post 1.20 firmware update.

It would be nice if Sony could give more information on what the additional function updates are

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,790 of 7,541
  I note that too no effect or very subtle, try reset?

Are you saying you hear a difference?  

I just tried the SD card switching function with Media Go and it works fine.  I was able to switch between System and SD Card storage so I don't think a reset is needed.  I also don't want to do a reset in case it does change the sound back as I really like the improved sound quality post firmware update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back