SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #2,372 of 2,672
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Protective-NW-ZX700-NW-ZX706-NW-ZX707/dp/B0C58MPZWN/

1704934669379.png

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2,373 of 2,672
I've actually found myself to worry more about the metal edges of my ZX707 denting my cheaper wooden furniture than the Walkman getting damaged. I think there are already a few dents in some older IKEA shelves around the house when I clumsily hit a top corner of the Walkman on them. I might get such a case just for protecting the furniture from the Walkman. It's a shame that the gold accents on the sides near the headphone jacks get covered though; I really like that design element.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #2,374 of 2,672
I've been using the Zx707 again lately from time to time. The new firmware does sound quite good, almost as good as the original firmware.
One thing that makes this one stand out is the bass. No other manufacturer's DAP I own at least brings out the low-end like this one does.

Zx707 + A & K Odyssey = Explosive sound !

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #2,375 of 2,672
Hi, im in indonesia. the sony store here dont carry the 707...

im going to malaysia for a medical visit, and the sony store there has the 707... high gain too.

im bringing my microsd full of flac songs... does anyone know which format shall i format the microsd to ? fat32 ? ntfs? exfat ?

using it with simgot ea1000 iem. hopefully the 707 warm sony sound will balance the quite bright ea1000 iem

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #2,376 of 2,672
exFAT is the primary filesystem for microSD cards.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #2,377 of 2,672
You can trying a factory reset, to see if that helps. Sometimes, there may be a setting affecting it, or it is just not working properly, for whatever reason.

Do note that the factory reset will reset the Audio Played hours to "0".

Have you tried another IEM/Cable? Reseated the IEM plugs, cleaned the pins, jacks, etc. with Deoxit? A bad connection can make the sound really off.

The ZX707 should not sound as you describe it.
I have to say with the equalizer and dc phase linearizer turned on it sounds better to my taste. One thing is strange in my eyes, I turned on “the turn off when charged” function so it has to stop with charging at 90%. But when I see the loading percentage it is still loaded till 100%. Is this a bug or something?

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #2,378 of 2,672
Can someone offer a comparison of NW-ZX707 and the old NW-WM1A in terms of sound?

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #2,379 of 2,672
I have to say with the equalizer and dc phase linearizer turned on it sounds better to my taste. One thing is strange in my eyes, I turned on “the turn off when charged” function so it has to stop with charging at 90%. But when I see the loading percentage it is still loaded till 100%. Is this a bug or something?
The setting you are referring to is within Battery Saver. It only takes effect if Battery Saver is turned on. Also, it is to "Turn Battery Saver Off", not turn off when charged. Big difference to how you are thinking of it. Turning on Battery Saver shuts down unnecessary functions, to extend battery life, thus squeezing more play time from a low battery.

Settings/Battery Care turned on, and the DAP is playing continuously while charging, it will stop charging at 93% and maintain it at 93%. I am currently doing burn in, and that is what my player does. It has been on for days/weeks, and the battery never goes higher than 93%.

If you are charging, music is not playing, and the DAP is set to power off when idle. (mine is set to 60 mins), then I believe the player will shut off, and continue charging to 100%

You can test to see if that is what happens.

EDIT: When charging and playing at the same time, the Apple 10W or 20W charger, USB C output, is a good low noise charger. Most other chargers will cause noise in the background.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #2,380 of 2,672
Glad to see a full Android version upgrade! I don't think many DAP manufacturers do this, so I appreciate Sony putting in the work.
Yeah I’ve been very impressed with my ZX707 the new android upgrade is very snappy, still using that leather case from dignis you recommended, the case is holding up like a champ.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #2,381 of 2,672
I got this case a while ago and like it a lot. While it doesn't have that 'luxurious' feel of a leather or faux leather case, I feel it protects the player better and the raised buttons gives a more tactile feel. Originally I had a glossy glass screen protector which was nice, but also a fingerprint, smudge magnet. I replaced it with an anti-glare / anti-fingerprint screen protector.

Tznzxm Anti-glare screen protector (2 pack) for NW-ZX700/ZX706/ZX707:
https://www.amazon.com/Tznzxm-Protector-NW-ZX700-NW-ZX706-NW-ZX707/dp/B0BV5JYXQT/

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #2,385 of 2,672
Can anyone comment if the 707 is a worthy upgrade over the 507?
I think it is, but the best is if you are able to try them yourself.

Audio is so dependent on the DAP/cables/IEMs and what you listen to in music, and what kind of music, and how good your ears are, how "experienced" they are, that it is impossible to generalize. One person's opinion may not apply to the other person's taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back