SONY NW-ZX700
Sep 24, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,101 of 2,749
If I am browsing using the Walkman Music app in folder mode, once I select the specific folder and select the song to play, afterwards I just hit the back arrow button at the bottom left of the screen, it will always return me back to the same specific folder which I have selected the song.
Thanks. I'll probably try the ZX707 again in store and check if this applies.

Is this ZX707 gapless btw?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,103 of 2,749
Sorry I don't own the ZX707, Although I have the WM1AM2 which should have the same Sony Walkman Music app:

If I am browsing using the Walkman Music app in folder mode, once I select the specific folder and select the song to play, afterwards I just hit the back arrow button at the bottom left of the screen, it will always return me back to the same specific folder which I have selected the song.
exactly the same as 707

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #2,104 of 2,749
Anybody knows what firmware would be factory installed if I import a ZX from Japan now?

I would really ike to get one on the older firmware..

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #2,105 of 2,749
Anybody knows what firmware would be factory installed if I import a ZX from Japan now?

I would really ike to get one on the older firmware..
Good question but it’s one that’s almost impossible to answer, it would depend if the unit you purchased is one of the original batches made when it was first released, that would guarantee you to have the original firmware. Not sure if the brand new ones come with the latest version or not, I know Ghisy mentioned she was going to Japan to possible purchase one l perhaps you can ask her what version they come with.

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #2,106 of 2,749
Jehutyset is correct. I work for a company that manufacturers electronics products and there is inventory all over the place. We have inventory in the "channel" where you would order from a reseller that they either have purchased from us directly, distributor or they have a distributor dropship orders for them to endusers. Then there is inventory direct from manufacturer where you would be ordering directly from Sony.com in this case. Some products are Just-in-Time where it is not built under they have orders and you would get your shipment right off of the factory line shipped directly to you. That is a rarity but is would be nice to get the freshest product possible. Unless you have someone who just received a JIT shipment or can get someone who works for Sony to answer your question, it is anyone's guess.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2,107 of 2,749
Just bought a Japanese ZX707 from a fellow Head-Fier and it's set to arrive tomorrow! I'm pretty excited for this.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #2,109 of 2,749
Alright, I caved in and bought a used like-new one at e-earphone. It ended up being ¥69,000 tax-free (around $460) and it is complete in box.

With the money I saved, I got the most expensive screen protector and the Musashino TPU case in black. I hesitated for a while with the blue one but black looked cleaner. I also treated myself to a new 4.4mm balanced mmcx cable for my Andromeda Gold.

Now let's hope I won't miss my Cowon Plenue R2. 🙏 (it feels like cheating after more than 15 years of Cowon DAPs! 😅)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #2,110 of 2,749
Alright, I caved in and bought a used like-new one at e-earphone. It ended up being ¥69,000 tax-free (around $460) and it is complete in box.
That's a great deal.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #2,111 of 2,749
Now let's hope I won't miss my Cowon Plenue R2. 🙏 (it feels like cheating after more than 15 years of Cowon DAPs! 😅)
There is no reason for feeling guilty or cheating at all. Now it's time to support the Walkman inventor for another 15 years at all. :wink:
Kidding set aside - I am pretty sure you'll be better off with SONY DAP than with any Chi-Fi one.

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #2,114 of 2,749
There's a report on the Walkman blog that suggests zx707 may be getting an update to android 13. What benefits / upgrades do you think this might bring to the table?

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2023/09/sony-nw-a300-and-nw-zx700-walkmans-to.html?m=1
For a DAP, not much I'd think. Most of the Android updates these days are for different form factors like tablets, along with updates to app security and permissions. In particular, Android 13 makes photo/video and music/audio permissions separate for apps, so apps have to request those permissions separately instead of getting both at once. Plus some UI theme changes. But Google has also decoupled most of the app-supporting infrastructure into Google Play Updates which can be backported to earlier Android versions. IIRC, many of the Android app platform updates from 13 and 14 can be backported to Android 12, since 12 made changes that enabled that sort of platform update, hence the newest Walkmans should be able to benefit from app support even without an OS upgrade.
New Android version probably takes longer for a DAP though, because any of those special customizations to bypass Android system audio or apply system-wide effects have to be verified/developed against the new version.

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #2,115 of 2,749
There is no reason for feeling guilty or cheating at all. Now it's time to support the Walkman inventor for another 15 years at all. :wink:
Kidding set aside - I am pretty sure you'll be better off with SONY DAP than with any Chi-Fi one.
Cowon is not chi-fi, it's Korean.
There's a report on the Walkman blog that suggests zx707 may be getting an update to android 13. What benefits / upgrades do you think this might bring to the table?

https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2023/09/sony-nw-a300-and-nw-zx700-walkmans-to.html?m=1
Snappier UI hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back