SONY NW-ZX700
Sep 19, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #2,086 of 2,824
So according to this Ellis dude, this ZX707 walkman should only be recommended to Major(Music) Label Mastering Engineer and no one else. What do you think guys? Is he right?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #2,088 of 2,824
So according to this Ellis dude, this ZX707 walkman should only be recommended to Major(Music) Label Mastering Engineer and no one else. What do you think guys? Is he right?

I think he makes a good point. Most people will view the device as he did…. Also, why cant Sony put a better snapdragon chip in and make everything snappier? So from a consumer perspective, just get a mid tier android and a goof quality dongle. BTW, this is coming from a person who owns the US version of the ZX707.

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #2,089 of 2,824
He is here ! :L3000:
20230919_141035.jpg

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #2,090 of 2,824
I think he makes a good point. Most people will view the device as he did…. Also, why cant Sony put a better snapdragon chip in and make everything snappier? So from a consumer perspective, just get a mid tier android and a goof quality dongle. BTW, this is coming from a person who owns the US version of the ZX707.
I supposed Sony should have just make a "S-master HX digital amp" usb dongle/portable dac/amp instead. That would have sold much better, especially if it has all the DSEE Ultimate DSP or even DSD Remastering functions.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #2,091 of 2,824
I supposed Sony should have just make a "S-master HX digital amp" usb dongle/portable dac/amp instead. That would have sold much better, especially if it has all the DSEE Ultimate DSP or even DSD Remastering functions.

For example DSEE Ultimate needs an SoC and DSD Remastering needs an FPGA.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,092 of 2,824
Yeah, only if it makes a difference to people's ears. Most regular people and some audiophiles (including me) cannot hear a difference among these modes even using resolving headphones (such as the Focal Clear og or IER M9)--I'm just being honest. So I understand the notion that if something makes music sound transparent without audible distortion, it might just be enough for people. So the audiophile community should not go into a tissy just because someone is looking at a product from a mass-consumer perspective.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,093 of 2,824
Yeah, only if it makes a difference to people's ears. Most regular people and some audiophiles (including me) cannot hear a difference among these modes even using resolving headphones (such as the Focal Clear og or IER M9)--I'm just being honest. So I understand the notion that if something makes music sound transparent without audible distortion, it might just be enough for people. So the audiophile community should not go into a tissy just because someone is looking at a product from a mass-consumer perspective.
Well the audiophile community is always seeking for a better means to enjoy and appreciate the music. This Sony Walkman is a all-in-one, dedicated device for music which also happen to be able to stream music. It's not really meant for mass-consumer at all obviously, but to say it is only meant for studio mastering engineer use is a stretch. If the ZX707 is only recommended for studio mastering peeps, then what about the even more expensive and premium WM1ZM2?

@hubbardfan

5 months ago
I actually own one of these, and the difference in sound quality is clear compared to even my Xperia Pro-i. While most people probably wouldn't care enough or listen intently enough to notice the differences, they can be heard and felt. Every day since owning this thing, I've come across at least a few songs where I'm like "wow, I never heard that before."Not all my music is high-res, but I do have a good portion. Anything new I buy I will pretty much only buy in high res. However, there are subtle improvements on even CD quality tracks that are noticeable with DSEE HX enabled. Particularly, there is a little more depth and the highs don't sound as crunched. On really poor quality tracks that date before iTunes and whatnot, you definitely can hear a much larger difference with DSEE enabled. Where as without it, you really don't want to listen to it. It makes those tracks sound listenable.I really only use streaming services when I'm trying to discover new music to buy, or if I must hear a specific song I don't own. I love the hardware buttons because it allows me to not have to look at the device to change songs once you get used to the button placement.Some people have said that the new Walkman is not super loud, especially on harder to run headphones. This is because a regulation was put in place, and the EU and North American versions have to follow a law which limits the amount of volume they can put out. This did not effect older Walkmans, and also if you buy the Asian version this can be avoided. I have no problem with the volume output of this device in most cases.All that being said, I think the review was relatively fair. The Android interface is way slower than my Xperia, but I really don't mind. Once I have found what I am listening to I don't need it to be fast. I refuse to download any social media on this device too so that it stays focused to music. I did download almost every streaming platform on there from Qobuz to Apple Music to Amazon Music. It's nice because I don't need to have those installed on my phone now, though I will keep a couple.The Walkman music interface is quite nice for searching and finding the songs. It shows you the file type and all that. You can even sort from songs based on quality, to an extent. So it can auto-separate high res, CD quality, and then compressed. The explanation of high-res was pretty good indeed. You can also still have access to cloud services which is really nice, like OneDrive or Google Drive. This way you can add songs from the cloud if you want. I have a 500 gig SD card in this thing so I have plenty of space. For more files it's about halfway full with music though, nothing other than apps on the internal storage.Its primary purpose isn't for games or Instagram or sending texts and multitasking. It's a device built basically for listening to music in a very intentional way. So while it's not the fastest device there isn't really a need for it to be as it is fast enough for intended uses.I think what a lot of tech reviews get wrong is that a great device doesn't have to be one that everyone has to need. You can still love a product for its intended uses while also agreeing that many might not feel they need a device like this.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,096 of 2,824
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,097 of 2,824
Still undecided whether I want to replace my Cowon Plenue R2 with this Sony.

I see everyone talking about UAPP, is it much better than Poweramp for local files playback? The app is quite expensive and I already have the Pro version of Poweramp (got it on sales a while ago).

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #2,098 of 2,824
Still undecided whether I want to replace my Cowon Plenue R2 with this Sony.

I see everyone talking about UAPP, is it much better than Poweramp for local files playback? The app is quite expensive and I already have the Pro version of Poweramp (got it on sales a while ago).

You would be better off just using the factory included Sony Walkman Music App to play your local file. It offers the best sound quality and battery power savings as it is programmed and optimized by Sony.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #2,099 of 2,824
You would be better off just using the factory included Sony Walkman Music App to play your local file. It offers the best sound quality and battery power savings as it is programmed and optimized by Sony.
I would but like I said before:
One thing I didn't like and couldn't find a setting for is: how can I get back to the last known position in the folder view? I'll explain: I've always used folder browsing on my DAPs, I never cared too much for browsing using tags. On my Cowon Plenue R2, whenever I pick a song from a folder, if I go back to the file browser, it opens again in the same folder. When trying the ZX707, it always took me back to the root of the device which was very annoying as I had to navigate back to where I was every time I changed a song. Is there a setting I might have missed for that?

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #2,100 of 2,824
I would but like I said before:

Sorry I don't own the ZX707, Although I have the WM1AM2 which should have the same Sony Walkman Music app:

If I am browsing using the Walkman Music app in folder mode, once I select the specific folder and select the song to play, afterwards I just hit the back arrow button at the bottom left of the screen, it will always return me back to the same specific folder which I have selected the song.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back