SONY NW-ZX700
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,011 of 2,725
Can anyone share guide about Dsee Ultimate, DC phase, Vinyl processor, and DSD remastering? Im new to sony features.
Extracts from various sources. For the purpose of understanding the features, they are functionally the same across the Walkman family, though more advanced in later/upper models.

The Designer Interviews are interesting reading, and give much more understanding of what drove the design decisions.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
From the WM1A/Z Designer Interview:
- *What sort of function does the “DC phase linearizer” perform?

Sato Hiroaki [sound design]

This feature is something that we have looked into since 3 years ago, and we were finally able to put it in this time. Basically, it is to make the low range phase behave more like traditional amps.

As for why is this feature needed, it is because Walkman’s full digital amp “S-Master HX” (CXD3778GF) does not have a coupling condenser like traditional analogue amps.

The coupling condenser is a part to cut off DC components and very low frequency signals, but it also affects the phase of low frequencies. Depending on the content the presences of a coupling condenser makes a difference, in other words the difference is felt in the phase difference in the low range, and this is the effect when using the “DC phase linearizer”.

-

*So is it something that is instantly noticeable when engaged?

It’s not a difference that would floor you, but when something that works well with “DC phase linearizer” it will make you think “Oh that’s right, that’s the bass punch I wanted.”, and once you get used to it will surprise you. Also there are 6 different phase modes (A/B pattern x High/Standard/Low) to choose from. Please try them out.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
From the WM1A/ZM2 Interview:

Sekine:
The "DSD remastering engine" converts any sound source into a DSD signal equivalent to 11.2MHz, and converts it into a smoother, more analog-like sound. What was equivalent to a maximum of 5.6MHz in "DMP-Z1" has evolved to be able to convert up to 11.2MHz in this unit.

DSEE has also become the latest "DSEE Ultimate" in terms of improving sound quality through signal processing (predecessor model is equipped with "DSEE HX").​

Tanaka: DSEE Ultimate uses AI technology to automatically determine the type of song and reproduce not only the high range but also the finest sounds with high accuracy. This unit is equipped with the latest version with improved upscaling accuracy for lossless codecs equivalent to CD sound quality compared to those installed on existing Walkmans.
1693159496468.png

Sekine: The point is that DSEE, which was originally a function for compressed sound sources, has evolved to target lossless sound sources this time. Recently, the number of streaming services that handle lossless sound sources is increasing, so I think that the user benefits will be great.

VINYL PROCESSOR:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15905098
Oct 7, 2020 at 9:09 AMPost #5,601 of 8,466
[IMG alt="Star Mastering"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/534/534063.jpg?1628171538[/IMG]

Star Mastering

100+ Head-Fier​

JoinedJul 7, 2020Posts145Likes115LocationJapan
My take on Vinyl Processor:

Arm Resonance: adds a resistive/rubber banding effect to bass and treble response. Bass feels more rumbling, slightly delayed but slightly stronger slam and Treble has a more splashier sparkle at expense of transient speed.

Turnable: adds smoothness, warmthness and more intimate soundstaging

Surface noise: adds a very soft random dither like scratch noise to the treble which reduces the edginess of transients

Standard: Combination of the above three effects.
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/vinyl/?s_pid=jp_fsl_vinyl_feature_vinyl

After reading this article thoroughly and listening to the different Vinyl processor effects for half a day.. I finally understood the function of this DSP effect.

It injects a predefined set of non-linear dithering like noise across the frequency spectrum and adds bass dampening/response delay into the music. Somehow this effect makes music more relaxing to listen to over longer periods.

It's like adding film grain/aging effects to your video/photos. Instead of a high resolution video/image, you are presented with a fuzzier video/image.
The DC phase linearizer sounds like the bass increases a little. When I listen to classical music, the overall balance is lost, so I turn it off.

I only listen to classical music, but when I turn Vinyl processor on, my feet naturally move to the music. In other words, the sound becomes fun. This doesn't happen when I turn it off. I don't really understand the sound quality, but rather it seems that the music is more enjoyable when it is turned on,
When off, individual instruments are separate.
When turned on, the individual instruments are teamed up.
Off shows the beauty of individual instruments. But the degree of perfection as music is higher when it is on.
However, the difference in sound quality cannot be expressed in words.
So this feature is not obvious at first glance.
This function seems to have an element that makes the treble noisy for some reason.
Also, the music feels flat.
It seems to go well with rhythmic songs in particular. On the contrary, off is good for things like cello solo or enjoying the sound of an instrument.
Vinyl processor - I don't understand the difference some days.

If I pursue the "best setting" too much, I won't find the correct answer, so I'll use DSP according to my mood.

Attachments

• WM1ZM2 Interview.docx
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Sony WM1x Designer Interview v2.docx
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #2,012 of 2,725
very good dap but dsd remastering on 707 sounds bad comparing to taz, even after so many (development) years... probably not a fair comparison, but it is what it is.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #2,013 of 2,725
Extracts from various sources. For the purpose of understanding the features, they are functionally the same across the Walkman family, though more advanced in later/upper models.

The Designer Interviews are interesting reading, and give much more understanding of what drove the design decisions.

From the WM1A/Z Designer Interview:
- *What sort of function does the “DC phase linearizer” perform?

This feature is something that we have looked into since 3 years ago, and we were finally able to put it in this time. Basically, it is to make the low range phase behave more like traditional amps.

As for why is this feature needed, it is because Walkman’s full digital amp “S-Master HX” (CXD3778GF) does not have a coupling condenser like traditional analogue amps.

The coupling condenser is a part to cut off DC components and very low frequency signals, but it also affects the phase of low frequencies. Depending on the content the presences of a coupling condenser makes a difference, in other words the difference is felt in the phase difference in the low range, and this is the effect when using the “DC phase linearizer”.

-

*So is it something that is instantly noticeable when engaged?

It’s not a difference that would floor you, but when something that works well with “DC phase linearizer” it will make you think “Oh that’s right, that’s the bass punch I wanted.”, and once you get used to it will surprise you. Also there are 6 different phase modes (A/B pattern x High/Standard/Low) to choose from. Please try them out.

From the WM1A/ZM2 Interview:

Sekine:
The "DSD remastering engine" converts any sound source into a DSD signal equivalent to 11.2MHz, and converts it into a smoother, more analog-like sound. What was equivalent to a maximum of 5.6MHz in "DMP-Z1" has evolved to be able to convert up to 11.2MHz in this unit.

DSEE has also become the latest "DSEE Ultimate" in terms of improving sound quality through signal processing (predecessor model is equipped with "DSEE HX").​

Tanaka: DSEE Ultimate uses AI technology to automatically determine the type of song and reproduce not only the high range but also the finest sounds with high accuracy. This unit is equipped with the latest version with improved upscaling accuracy for lossless codecs equivalent to CD sound quality compared to those installed on existing Walkmans.

Sekine: The point is that DSEE, which was originally a function for compressed sound sources, has evolved to target lossless sound sources this time. Recently, the number of streaming services that handle lossless sound sources is increasing, so I think that the user benefits will be great.

VINYL PROCESSOR:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15905098
Oct 7, 2020 at 9:09 AMPost #5,601 of 8,466
[IMG alt="Star Mastering"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/534/534063.jpg?1628171538[/IMG]

Star Mastering

100+ Head-Fier​

JoinedJul 7, 2020Posts145Likes115LocationJapan

The DC phase linearizer sounds like the bass increases a little. When I listen to classical music, the overall balance is lost, so I turn it off.

I only listen to classical music, but when I turn Vinyl processor on, my feet naturally move to the music. In other words, the sound becomes fun. This doesn't happen when I turn it off. I don't really understand the sound quality, but rather it seems that the music is more enjoyable when it is turned on,
When off, individual instruments are separate.
When turned on, the individual instruments are teamed up.
Off shows the beauty of individual instruments. But the degree of perfection as music is higher when it is on.
However, the difference in sound quality cannot be expressed in words.
So this feature is not obvious at first glance.
This function seems to have an element that makes the treble noisy for some reason.
Also, the music feels flat.
It seems to go well with rhythmic songs in particular. On the contrary, off is good for things like cello solo or enjoying the sound of an instrument.
Vinyl processor - I don't understand the difference some days.

If I pursue the "best setting" too much, I won't find the correct answer, so I'll use DSP according to my mood.
Thank you for the long details and explanation . So CMIIW the DC phase is to alter the bass a little, the vinyl processor is to make the sound warmer and more musical so it is easier to enjoy for long time, im new to the DSD i still dont know what it is for the listening experience. I am curious about the DSEE ultimate so it is using AI technology to make MP3/ AAC to sound almost like FLAC? Do you guys here save your songs in MP3 file or FLAC? Have anyone tried comparing their MP3 songs with DSEE compared to the FLAC version is it good? Also about DSEE , will it work on streaming apps like spotify? Thank you again.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #2,014 of 2,725
Thank you for the long details and explanation . So CMIIW the DC phase is to alter the bass a little, the vinyl processor is to make the sound warmer and more musical so it is easier to enjoy for long time, im new to the DSD i still dont know what it is for the listening experience. I am curious about the DSEE ultimate so it is using AI technology to make MP3/ AAC to sound almost like FLAC? Do you guys here save your songs in MP3 file or FLAC? Have anyone tried comparing their MP3 songs with DSEE compared to the FLAC version is it good? Also about DSEE , will it work on streaming apps like spotify? Thank you again.
DSEE works globally, which means that all streaming applications like Youtube, Spotify also are up-sampled by DSEE, and if your FLAC file is below 32b/192Khz, DSEE also works well. I really like using DSEE on Walkmans regardless of streaming or FLAC offline files since it is helpful in almost all cases except the battery draining.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #2,015 of 2,725
I think its cool that Sony offers all these features to make the Full Digital S-Master HX sound more analog, but i always found it to be a good thing that the S-Master HX doesn't sound analog.

Of course, a lot of audiphiles are used to this analog sound, but its never to late to reset your brain and embrace for something new.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #2,016 of 2,725
DSEE works globally, which means that all streaming applications like Youtube, Spotify also are up-sampled by DSEE, and if your FLAC file is below 32b/192Khz, DSEE also works well. I really like using DSEE on Walkmans regardless of streaming or FLAC offline files since it is helpful in almost all cases except the battery draining.
Is the sound reproduction noticably different? I havent test it yet since currently im trying to burn in the device it takes a long time. Have you tried using MP3's and how does it sound? Enough to satisfy audiophiles?

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #2,017 of 2,725
Is the sound reproduction noticably different? I havent test it yet since currently im trying to burn in the device it takes a long time. Have you tried using MP3's and how does it sound? Enough to satisfy audiophiles?
I think it will depend on your IEMs and your ears, in my case, I tried DSEE with some live songs on Youtube, and it is noticeably different. But, of course, it cannot compare to an original high quality FLAC file

Aug 29, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #2,018 of 2,725
I have some low quality 128kbps MP3s i use for testing purposes and when i use DSEE on them, its an improvement, but its nowhere close to the FLAC. Even with DSEE, there is still a big gap between the MP3 and the FLAC. If you only have the 128kbps MP3 and nothing else (which can happen with especially older indy bands), than its better than nothing of course

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #2,019 of 2,725
I think it will depend on your IEMs and your ears, in my case, I tried DSEE with some live songs on Youtube, and it is noticeably different. But, of course, it cannot compare to an original high quality FLAC file
I have some low quality 128kbps MP3s i use for testing purposes and when i use DSEE on them, its an improvement, but its nowhere close to the FLAC. Even with DSEE, there is still a big gap between the MP3 and the FLAC. If you only have the 128kbps MP3 and nothing else (which can happen with especially older indy bands), than its better than nothing of course
Flac is still the best i see. So if all my files are FLAC do i need to turn on the DSEE? Does it improve the FLAC or no?

Aug 29, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #2,020 of 2,725
Flac is still the best i see. So if all my files are FLAC do i need to turn on the DSEE? Does it improve the FLAC or no?
for flacs or sstreaming - i dont enable DSEE or DSD.

Without DSD, DSEE , the flacs sounds very good for me. just enabling these 2 will drain more battery,

i have enabled 1. vynl processor, 2.dc phase and 3. dynamic normazier (sometimes)

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #2,021 of 2,725
If you want the highest possible sound quality, you have to use an FLAC and put the Walkman into direct. Everything else is degrading the sound quality.

But, that is not automatically a bad thing. The ""degration"" could sound subjectively better to you. But that is something only you can find out for yourself.

But if you want the theoretical maximum in quality, its Direct+FLAC

Aug 29, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #2,022 of 2,725
I do not bother with DSEE for CD quality onwards. I have failed to get consistent blind testing results with it, and when I did it's because it introduced some weird unpleasant artifacts. IMO not worth it and just kills the battery.

I don't like the Vinyl processor besides the arm resonance setting, but it needs an earphone with really deep extension. The change is still not so dramatical to make me want to sacrifice battery life.

DC Phase now is really amazing. Type A in particular makes BA bass really shine. I have found the standard setting to be the best. I am actually not convinced the other two options are working as intended.

I don't like DSD at all.

Nowadays I mostly use direct source on the Z1R and DC Phase Type A Standard on the M7/M9 for example. Everything else stock.

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #2,023 of 2,725
Does anyone have compared Wm1AM2 and the zx707 is it a huge upgrade from 707? I have tried zm2 before and it was very very good but of course price is a concern. I wonder if i should try to find AM2 secondhand.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #2,024 of 2,725
Does anyone have compared Wm1AM2 and the zx707 is it a huge upgrade from 707? I have tried zm2 before and it was very very good but of course price is a concern. I wonder if i should try to find AM2 secondhand.
Its an upgrade, but not like an very huge. But its audible still, you can hear it. If it is worth the money is something you have to decide for yourself.

If you are fine with buying used, i would rather get an WM1A M2 used than buying an ZX707 new.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #2,025 of 2,725
Hey,

Has anyone jumped from a Cowon Plenue R2 to an uncapped ZX707?

I'm going to Japan soon and might be tempted. My Plenue R2 works fine and I love Cowon but I might wanna try something more modern. Plus seems like Cowon is definitely out of the DAP game... 😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back