SONY NW-ZX700
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #1,981 of 2,817
DSEE is bugged for me since the firmware upgrade, introducing some weird artifacts in some of my favorite songs. Off it goes.

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,982 of 2,817
Don't get me wrong. Hiby R6 Pro II is very hard to beat even by DAPs twice it's price range. It produces superb clean and dynamic sound across the frequency range and also has a slight bass boost which I like.
However, now the Zx707 ain't so bad either with the new firmware.

I will be AB/ing both in the next days and decide which one to use as a daily driver.
Sony wins when it comes to battery life and the physical navigation buttons. R6 Pro II has the worst physical button layout and stock case.
It's also more compact.
I also like that Sony has the audio outs at the top. I hate DAPs that use bottom ports for audio. It's so inconvenient when chilling on the couch or bed.
Hello nice to meet someone who have both the same DAP as mine. I also have Hiby r6 pro ii and Sony 707. How is your experience with both? I just recently bought the sony 707 and i realize that r6 pro ii sound better for my first impression but Sony are smaller , more portable, lighter, have better battery life imo. Also should i update to the new firmware?

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,983 of 2,817
Hello nice to meet someone who have both the same DAP as mine. I also have Hiby r6 pro ii and Sony 707. How is your experience with both? I just recently bought the sony 707 and i realize that r6 pro ii sound better for my first impression but Sony are smaller , more portable, lighter, have better battery life imo. Also should i update to the new firmware?
Hello. If your Sony DAP came with the original firmware, don't update it. At least for me, the original firmware sounded the best.

That said, Hiby R6 Pro II is miles better than the Zx707 (to my ears) in sound quality. That’s obvious because it comes with flasgship AK4499EX DACs and Class A/AB amps. It’s the same size as an iphone 12 albeit double the thickness. So yea while the Zx707 is a bit shorter, both can be one handed comfortably. I‘ve had no problems with battery life as I don’t listen to it 8 hours every day. The R6P2 also plays bit perfect audio (bypassing the Android resampling), has system wide advanced EQ and so on.

I’m lazy at selling things but I intend to sell my Zx707 and ibasso Dx320 sooner or later and keep only the R6P2 for now. The synergy between R6P2 and just any iems, headphones I throw at it is amazing. You can say I’m spoiled by its sound !

If you don’t want to keep both, listen to both of them with some of your favourite tracks and your IEMs and headphones. Keep the one that sounds best to your ears. That would be my opinion because in the end you’ll always go back to the one that your ears like.

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #1,984 of 2,817
Hello. If your Sony DAP came with the original firmware, don't update it. At least for me, the original firmware sounded the best.

That said, Hiby R6 Pro II is miles better than the Zx707 (to my ears) in sound quality. That’s obvious because it comes with flasgship AK4499EX DACs and Class A/AB amps. It’s the same size as an iphone 12 albeit double the thickness. So yea while the Zx707 is a bit shorter, both can be one handed comfortably. I‘ve had no problems with battery life as I don’t listen to it 8 hours every day. The R6P2 also plays bit perfect audio (bypassing the Android resampling), has system wide advanced EQ and so on.

I’m lazy at selling things but I intend to sell my Zx707 and ibasso Dx320 sooner or later and keep only the R6P2 for now. The synergy between R6P2 and just any iems, headphones I throw at it is amazing. You can say I’m spoiled by its sound !

If you don’t want to keep both, listen to both of them with some of your favourite tracks and your IEMs and headphones. Keep the one that sounds best to your ears. That would be my opinion because in the end you’ll always go back to the one that your ears like.
Yeah after a while comparing A/B between both i can say Hiby r6 pro ii is very good in many aspects at the price it is hard to beat for sure. Battery life wise sony win by a far margin . I let sony play for the whole night until morning and it only consume 25% of the battery. Hiby can only last maybe 3 hours or so with class A amplifier. Sony need to up their game in SQ.

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,985 of 2,817
Yeah after a while comparing A/B between both i can say Hiby r6 pro ii is very good in many aspects at the price it is hard to beat for sure. Battery life wise sony win by a far margin . I let sony play for the whole night until morning and it only consume 25% of the battery. Hiby can only last maybe 3 hours or so with class A amplifier. Sony need to up their game in SQ.

Sony's answer is the WM1AM2/ZM2 (which actually precedes the 707), if SQ is what you are after. 707 is the more pocket friendly, striped down version.

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #1,986 of 2,817
Have tried ZM2 and AM2 before in a gathering and i was impressed until i hear chinese DAP with cheaper price in the gathering. I think it is sure to say the battery life in Sony is the best but sound wise IMO there are plenty option to choose from.

Aug 16, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,987 of 2,817
Have tried ZM2 and AM2 before in a gathering and i was impressed until i hear chinese DAP with cheaper price in the gathering. I think it is sure to say the battery life in Sony is the best but sound wise IMO there are plenty option to choose from.

I have tried many Chinese DAPs over the years, the Hiby r6proii included (aesthetics wise they look much better than other Chi fi offerings)........they usually atttracts at first listen but over a few more trials the heavily coloured sound signatures common amongst Chinese DAPs would become more and more disturbing, especially after trying them with different iems. Sony isn't the most uncoloured player in the world to be honest, but the tuning isn't that heavy handed and in the long run the more natural/neutral SQ is way more favourable than the mainstream Chinese offerings. YMMV of cos.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #1,988 of 2,817
I have tried many Chinese DAPs over the years, the Hiby r6proii included (aesthetics wise they look much better than other Chi fi offerings)........they usually atttracts at first listen but over a few more trials the heavily coloured sound signatures common amongst Chinese DAPs would become more and more disturbing, especially after trying them with different iems. Sony isn't the most uncoloured player in the world to be honest, but the tuning isn't that heavy handed and in the long run the more natural/neutral SQ is way more favourable than the mainstream Chinese offerings. YMMV of cos.
I’ve also owned/tried many of the Chi-fi brands and Sony - DAPS and DAC/AMPs. The Hiby R6P2 is a piece of wonder and at such an affordable price comparatively. I’ve had it for over a month now and I’ve ABed it with the other DAPs and DACs I have with all the headphones I have. I keep going back to the R6P2 and I finally decided that I should sell all the others. Nothing’s replacing the R6P2 for me until something new and better comes up !

Okay I’ll stop with R6P2 now since this is a 707 thread.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,989 of 2,817
I’ve also owned/tried many of the Chi-fi brands and Sony - DAPS and DAC/AMPs. The Hiby R6P2 is a piece of wonder and at such an affordable price comparatively. I’ve had it for over a month now and I’ve ABed it with the other DAPs and DACs I have with all the headphones I have. I keep going back to the R6P2 and I finally decided that I should sell all the others. Nothing’s replacing the R6P2 for me until something new and better comes up !

HiBy DAP are known for heavily modifying the sound and not sounding correct and a lot of people prefer that sound, yes. People prefer tube amps and vinalys too.

But it does have the disadvantage that some songs just dont sound right/correct. So even though they are the best for some people, if you prefer an correct/accurate rendering of the song, they can be the worst.

Its light and shadow and all comes down to personal taste

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,990 of 2,817
My thoughts are very much same.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #1,991 of 2,817

HiBy DAP are known for heavily modifying the sound and not sounding correct and a lot of people prefer that sound, yes. People prefer tube amps and vinalys too.

But it does have the disadvantage that some songs just dont sound right/correct. So even though they are the best for some people, if you prefer an correct/accurate rendering of the song, they can be the worst.

Im not a sound engineer i dont know what is right or wrong sound i just usually went into a gathering and try from top end IEM for example like subtonic storm and compare it with other IEM. So i just comparing one product with the other in the market. I find that people can love subtonic storm and some find fault with it, so you are right audio are very subjective to the listener. I find ZM2 is very good very musical and easy to listen to while not sacrificing technicalities. Sony is very good at making the background dark very dark. I find that burning in Sony DAP help with the sound to be more refined. Unfortunately i already have the hiby r6proii and yes i agree it can even compete with DAP double its price for real. Right now im still burning in the Sony and the sound does change lets see after 100 hours of burning in. Anyway the battery life is insane i didnt charge since yesterday and its still 40% wth....

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,992 of 2,817
IMG_2942.jpeg

Currently working on getting the 3.5mm over the 200 hour mark. I figured I may as well until I decide to upgrade to the WM1AM2 later this year.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,994 of 2,817

Again, a subjective opinion.
The Hiby R6 Pro II to me sounds more natural than both the Dx320 and the Zx707.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,995 of 2,817
Just be aware that the WM1AM2 and 1ZM2 are not as smooth in operation as the Zx707.
They don't come with Snapdragon CPUs and are slow as a snail.
Yeah I’ve heard about it from reading a lot of the responses over in those devices thread, I’m very curious to hear for myself how the WM1AM2 pairs with the Z1R. I’m hoping the diminish performance on Android would be offset by the ground sound, I hardly play with the device too long anyways I usually set a music playlist and forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back