SONY NW-ZX700
Aug 9, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #1,966 of 2,742
I just updated this latest firmware 1.02.00 on my ZX707 and notice the following improvements:

- The reaction problem of the side buttons seems is fixed, no more irresponsive error (there was a delay action when pressing on the side buttons, such as when I pressed the play button, it takes more than 6-7 seconds to pause the song). I tested for 30 minutes and will continue within the coming weeks to confirm.

- I sort of hear the sub-bass is added back in this firmware. When I listen a series of songs and I find the sub-bass is back, the bass has more weight than that I heard when the ZX707 was with the previous firmware (ver. 1.01.02). I remember some users here revealed that the sub-bass was tamed in the previous firmware, and I heard the same. However, I need more time to test and need more users here to confirm after they apply the update.
Updating right now for the faster response times to button presses, but more sub-bass would be welcome!

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,969 of 2,742
Did I read somewhere here that the 707 needs no burn-in time? Or should I be expecting some sound changes?
that’s good question, I personally didn’t noticed any change after I went over the 200 hour mark but I also have used three very different IEM’s In the short time I’ve owed this device.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #1,971 of 2,742
Did I read somewhere here that the 707 needs no burn-in time? Or should I be expecting some sound changes?
Some people do not believe burn in is needed. Many others have observed that burn in is needed.
Sony advises 200 hours, as the capacitors need to be used, so that they "form" properly.

Audio (and other things) have polarized opinions. Evaluate the choices, and decide for yourself.

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #1,972 of 2,742
The biggest change is right after you bought it for the first few hours. The longer you listen to it, the smaller gets the change.

The more power you drain from the Walkman, the bigger will be the difference you hear during the burn-in time.

Until the Burn-In Time is finished, there is no stable, linear power output from the capacitors. The more power you need, the more you will hear that effect.

But again, the biggest change is in the first few hours, the differences get very very minimal after that. I highly doubt that anyone will be able to hear the difference between an 100h Walkman and an 200h Walkman. It probably shows up in measurements, but i highly doubt its audible.

The difference between 0h and 20h is bigger than the difference between 20h and 200h

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,973 of 2,742
SONY RECOMMENDS 200 HOURS BURN IN FOR ALL DAPS. This is for capacitors burn in.

I have used it for 7 months with many iems and found that I was able to drive final audio e5000 on balanced (4.4 fiio silver plated cu cable) at 65-70/130 volume. E5000 has a very good pairing

Mine is a uncapped version.

The more i am using , i am liking it more. I love sony signature.

Now looking to upgrade for AM2, reason is z1R

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #1,974 of 2,742
I’m enjoying my Japanese ZX707 (uncapped), but I just re-ordered a (used) pair of the Z1R’s after getting back into this hobby after a few years and want to go for the WM1A2. My ZX-707 was received new last week, has about 4 hours on it total and is still mint, as if it was just opened. Offering it up here for $599 shipped to domestic U.S. if anyone is interested. I’m in CA. I can provide references from others I’ve sold to here and elsewhere if needed, and you can also check out my eBay seller feedback..

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,975 of 2,742
I’m enjoying my Japanese ZX707 (uncapped), but I just re-ordered a (used) pair of the Z1R’s after getting back into this hobby after a few years and want to go for the WM1A2. My ZX-707 was received new last week, has about 4 hours on it total and is still mint, as if it was just opened. Offering it up here for $599 shipped to domestic U.S. if anyone is interested. I’m in CA. I can provide references from others I’ve sold to here and elsewhere if needed, and you also check out my eBay seller feedback..
I’m the same position as you lol , I’m enjoying this ZX707 but I’ve been thinking lately of upgrading to the WM1AM2 , good luck with the sale and welcome back to the black hole that is the audiophile hobby.

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,976 of 2,742
I’m the same position as you lol , I’m enjoying this ZX707 but I’ve been thinking lately of upgrading to the WM1AM2 , good luck with the sale and welcome back to the black hole that is the audiophile hobby.
Thanks man. All I can say is watch your volume levels. I had a little tinnitus when I got into this hobby about ten years ago, and it's now clearly worse. I'm finding ways to manage it though, and still listen very carefully to DAPs at lower levels, and not aggravate it. I stayed away for the last few years and built up my home audio system instead, and realized now that I just can't live without the holographic sound of the Z1R's.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,977 of 2,742
Thanks man. All I can say is watch your volume levels. I had a little tinnitus when I got into this hobby about ten years ago, and it's now clearly worse. I'm finding ways to manage it though, and still listen very carefully to DAPs at lower levels, and not aggravate it. I stayed away for the last few years and built up my home audio system instead, and realized now that I just can't live without the holographic sound of the Z1R's.
Yeah I’ve been careful with the volume levels and do my best not to listen to my music too loud I had a lot of issues with my ears when I was growing up, so I developed a healthy respect for their care.

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,978 of 2,742
Yeah I’ve been careful with the volume levels and do my best not to listen to my music too loud I had a lot of issues with my ears when I was growing up, so I developed a healthy respect for their care.
Which is a reason why I tend to gravitate to Sonys. People complain that they're underpowered, but that's exactly what I'm looking for, along with that special smoooothness of the Sony sound signature!

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #1,979 of 2,742
Lately have been playing with this setup:
Sony 707 -> Centrance Ampersand -> Kojo Technology Crystal E -> IER-M7
A bit of product background: the crystal series, uses Kojo's proprietary virtual earth technology, is meant to enhance SQ by improving S/N giving a quieter noice floor, thus helps improve delicate expression of music, e.g. sound/note extension is very obviously improved .

Perceptually whether there is noticeable diff subjects to quite a few variables, like your setup and your perceptual level of JND. Interestingly, I find this device "most" benefits mid-fi products as their noice floor (S/N) can be improved quite a bit. Higher end/TOTL products should already have a v low noice floor and suspect that such kind of technology may not help that much.

My personal assessment by doing a A/B (simple plug/unplug takes less that 1 sec and all parameters remains unchanged, any diff can be heard instantly!) shows that the background is darker rendering the music fuller and richer, and resolution, space, imaging, clarity, timbre are enhanced. So far a worthy purchase ..

Attachments

• 707+Ampersand+CrystalE.jpeg
    707+Ampersand+CrystalE.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,980 of 2,742
I just updated this latest firmware 1.02.00 on my ZX707 and notice the following improvements:

- The reaction problem of the side buttons seems is fixed, no more irresponsive error (there was a delay action when pressing on the side buttons, such as when I pressed the play button, it takes more than 6-7 seconds to pause the song). I tested for 30 minutes and will continue within the coming weeks to confirm.

- I sort of hear the sub-bass is added back in this firmware. When I listen a series of songs and I find the sub-bass is back, the bass has more weight than that I heard when the ZX707 was with the previous firmware (ver. 1.01.02). I remember some users here revealed that the sub-bass was tamed in the previous firmware, and I heard the same. However, I need more time to test and need more users here to confirm after they apply the update.
After testing with my IEMs for a week, I can nearly confirm that the sub-bass is back on firmware 1.02.00 but still not to the magnitude of the 1st firmware ver. 1.00. However, I found that the mids and high is improved on 1.02.00 (sound density increases, more solid than 1.00. The high and mids sounded a bit hollow and thin in 1.00 although with very good sub bass). Another factor that affects the sound signature is the burn-in time of my ZX707. By the time it was updated to firmware 1.01.xx it only had around 170 hours of burn-in and now it has reached nearly 490 hours.

Not sure if anybody hear the same and I am looking forward to hear more from you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back