SONY NW-ZX700
May 2, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,741 of 2,677
Hi people,

Is anyone else finding that having WiFi and Bluetooth switched on at the same time is causing streaming on the zx707 to become unusable? Basically using Bluetooth makes the WiFi speed on the device grind to a halt. If I turn off bluetooth WiFi speed goes back to normal. Bluetooth works fine if I switch off WiFi on zx707. It's not a problem with 2.4Ghz WiFi as I'm using 5Ghz. Any thoughts? I'm using a Japanese zx707. I usually use the device with wired headphones and am impressed on that front, but streaming music via Bluetooth on the device is impossible.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread, I've got lots of useful information. 👍

May 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,742 of 2,677
Hi people,

Is anyone else finding that having WiFi and Bluetooth switched on at the same time is causing streaming on the zx707 to become unusable? Basically using Bluetooth makes the WiFi speed on the device grind to a halt. If I turn off bluetooth WiFi speed goes back to normal. Bluetooth works fine if I switch off WiFi on zx707. It's not a problem with 2.4Ghz WiFi as I'm using 5Ghz. Any thoughts? I'm using a Japanese zx707. I usually use the device with wired headphones and am impressed on that front, but streaming music via Bluetooth on the device is impossible.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this thread, I've got lots of useful information. 👍
Testing this right now for you. Tidal over 5ghz wifi to ZX707 bluetooth LDAC to BTR5.....doesn't seem to have any issues. It's not the most responsive, but it plays well enough. Maybe a half second lag changing tracks.

You may need to try different bluetooth devices and codecs as well as try different wifi networks. I hope it's a setting issue and not problem with the wireless chip. Good luck!

Oh, I didn't even realize I have a LDAC transmitter and receiver setup...... bonus!

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,743 of 2,677
Testing this right now for you. Tidal over 5ghz wifi to ZX707 bluetooth LDAC to BTR5.....doesn't seem to have any issues. It's not the most responsive, but it plays well enough. Maybe a half second lag changing tracks.

You may need to try different bluetooth devices and codecs as well as try different wifi networks. I hope it's a setting issue and not problem with the wireless chip. Good luck!

Oh, I didn't even realize I have a LDAC transmitter and receiver setup...... bonus!
Hey thanks for your help. I'm using Tidal over 5ghz to zx707 Bluetooth LDAC to wh-1000mk5 and wf-1000mk4. Issues on both headsets so seems to be issue with zx707 or the WiFi. WiFi on device is slowing down to 0-2mbps and with Bluetooth turned off I get 100-200 Mbps. I'm getting no issues via Bluetooth and WiFi with these headsets on my android phone, or other smart speakers in my home. I'll test on other WiFi when I get the chance.

May 2, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,744 of 2,677
Hey thanks for your help. I'm using Tidal over 5ghz to zx707 Bluetooth LDAC to wh-1000mk5 and wf-1000mk4. Issues on both headsets so seems to be issue with zx707 or the WiFi. WiFi on device is slowing down to 0-2mbps and with Bluetooth turned off I get 100-200 Mbps. I'm getting no issues via Bluetooth and WiFi with these headsets on my android phone, or other smart speakers in my home. I'll test on other WiFi when I get the chance.
After reading your last message, I managed to recreate the same situation.

In my basement office, I can get 100-120mbps down on the ZX707. Playing Tidal over headphone out, I can get 85-100 mbps. With LDAC on and Bluetooth playing Tidal, I'm getting 9-15 mbps.

Seems to be a known problem with 2.4ghz. I'm on 5ghz confirmed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/bbqluv/problems_with_ldac_bluetooth_headphones_and_wifi/

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #1,745 of 2,677
After reading your last message, I managed to recreate the same situation.

In my basement office, I can get 100-120mbps down on the ZX707. Playing Tidal over headphone out, I can get 85-100 mbps. With LDAC on and Bluetooth playing Tidal, I'm getting 9-15 mbps.

Seems to be a known problem with 2.4ghz. I'm on 5ghz confirmed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/bbqluv/problems_with_ldac_bluetooth_headphones_and_wifi/
Thanks for this. I forgot to say the WiFi slowdown occurs when using all and any Bluetooth codec. AAC, SBC, and AptX can be made useable at the slowdown speeds by disconnecting then reconnecting bluetooth but LDAC is a complete non starter currently even at best effort settings for me. Download speed on LDAC currently dropping to 0.17mbps, down from 100mbps with Bluetooth disabled.

May 3, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,746 of 2,677
I received the IER-M9. So far I love it.

My comparison with the M7 could be summarized as “M7 in the streets, M9 in the sheets.”

I am definitely keeping both.

May 3, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,747 of 2,677
Thanks for this. I forgot to say the WiFi slowdown occurs when using all and any Bluetooth codec. AAC, SBC, and AptX can be made useable at the slowdown speeds by disconnecting then reconnecting bluetooth but LDAC is a complete non starter currently even at best effort settings for me. Download speed on LDAC currently dropping to 0.17mbps, down from 100mbps with Bluetooth disabled.
This won't affect me much based on how I use the ZX707, but you ain't crazy.....

May 3, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,748 of 2,677
Sorry to hear your having this issues, it would irritate me quite a bit, hopefully some type of fix will happen in future updates. Very bizarre bug you have come across, maybe there is a way you can communicate your issues to Sony and make them aware of it.

May 3, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,750 of 2,677
Sorry to hear your having this issues, it would irritate me quite a bit, hopefully some type of fix will happen in future updates. Very bizarre bug you have come across, maybe there is a way you can communicate your issues to Sony and make them aware of it.
Another thing I tried to troubleshoot the problem was to setup a 5ghz wifi hotspot from my mobile's 5g connection to see how that would play with LDAC, and the zx707 couldn't see the 5ghz hotspot. The Walkman had no problem seeing the hotspot when I set it up as a 2.4Ghz connection. Of course 2.4Ghz WiFi is known to cause dropouts with bluetooth since they both broadcast on the same frequency band. Head scratching design choices / omissions by the Sony software team.

May 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #1,751 of 2,677
May 4, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #1,752 of 2,677
Holsen, I am pleased you like the AM2. I agree that it is a very significant upgrade over 707 and, as I said above, I believe that for the price difference, AM2 is a no brainer. 707 sounds like a DAP, and not a great one at that. AM2 is proper hifi in your pocket.

The sound will not improve in any substantial way with more mileage (again, sorry to disagree with the good people here) but over time the AM2 further loses the digital edge and gains a richness, a lushness, a roundness to its presentation with a bit more texture and articulation, further enhancing your listening pleasure.

I heard a tiny bit of that with the 707 as well, maybe after 20 hours or so, but not to the same extent and, while it made the sound a bit more palatable for my taste, it did not radically change my mind about the 707, which I have now sold.

I think overall Sony is a safe camp over any number of Chinese DAPs. You know it will not suddenly die on you, spy on you, that the battery life is decent, that the end product, after a few cycles of software updates, will be stable and reliable. Nowadays I value reliability and convenience more than bells and whistles. The epic journeys to China of my Hifiman 801, a very expensive DAP some 10 years ago, dying on me twice during warranty, with all shipping costs incurred, waiting times, back and forth emails in a Monty Python English, come to mind. Life is too short.

Besides with the yen at an all time low, Sony DAPs are now keenly priced in Japan for Western customers.

May 4, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,754 of 2,677
Ok, so it looks like Mickey D's and Sony are on your Sh$& list.. The Vol cap is there for a reason, lawsuits... Otherwise Sony could care less how loud you turn it up...
Sony has more breathing room for a lawsuit than any of the other Dap manufacturers who don't cap volume. So they should be least likely to do this. It doesn't add up.

May 4, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,755 of 2,677
Sony has more breathing room for a lawsuit than any of the other Dap manufacturers who don't cap volume. So they should be least likely to do this. It doesn't add up.
??? Not sure of your reasoning??? Sony is a big corporation that is most at risk, and is more likely to be sued, as their overall business can be impacted, and they have the money to pay the large fines so they can continue doing business. Smaller DAP manufacturers do not have the budget, cannot pay, and can just exit the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back