SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #11,236 of 15,688
Bummer... UPS was set to deliver my AM2 today, but just got an exception notice with no updated expected delivery.... Anticipation grows.

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #11,237 of 15,688
Hi all, sorry I'm a bit late to the 1AM2/1ZM2 party. What full-size headphones are popular pairing with these two DAPs? Does either pair with well with the MDR-Z1R. I am coming from the ZX300 uncapped model with the Mr. Walkman firmware upgrade and it's really nice/lush/smooth but as soon as I plug my MDR-Z7m2 (I own these - I lust after the Z1Rs) headphones the sound gets warmer. I would appreciate any one on the forum who has tried either DAP with the Z1R headphones to comment.
Apologies for the influx of questions.
I really enjoy the Demon D9200s with my WM1AM2. LCD-X is also an excellent pairing with a little EQ; just a couple of dB boost @4k, plus a little extra bass if wanted.
I also own Arya Stealths, but at the moment I prefer them with my iBasso DX300, but need to listen a little more.

May 3, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #11,238 of 15,688
20230503_183117.jpg

This album is very good....played throught the 1Zm2 is simply gorgeous....

May 3, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #11,240 of 15,688
My 1AM2 arrived yesterday. All my questions answered. Yes, it is a BIG upgrade to the ZX707, no comparison really. There was a lot of talk on the 707 thread that a recent FW update destroyed the bass on the 707. Many in that crowed agreed and many vehemently disagreed. I can't comment because the 707 I received was new with about 20 hours on it but already had the update so I dont know what it sounded like before and after. My unit, I described as anemic. The 1AM2 is NOT anemic. I'm really liking this DAP; it's actually very similar to my M6 Pro 21, which I LOVE. - The AM2 has nice warmth but not overly so, its musical yet brings forth good technicals with excellent staging and resolution. I picked this one up off the classifieds with only 50 hours on it - so if the magic happens after 200 to 300 hours I'm looking forward to being well pleased and I'll be selling the M6 Pro 21 (which just received a new battery) and using the AM2 as my daily driver - with my LP6K getting the out and about duties!

Anyway, I wanted to post some initial thoughts and impressions because having never been in the Sony Camp, I wasn't sure if it was worth rolling the dice which is why I started with the 707. The AM2 is miles ahead in sound. Is the the 1A2 worth the premium price? Against the 707, categorically yes. Against my Shanling - sound for sound no. BUT, if I get the playtime extention through longer battery life - then for me it's definitely worth it. I travel a lot and the extra playtime, without compromise in sound is worth the dollars to me.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #11,241 of 15,688
Hi Y'all.
I'm looking for some input on how to charge this thing (WM1AM2). I've have dozens of USB Chargers. 1Amp, 2.4 Amp, QC3, QC4, GAN, PD and on and on. I've also got every manner of USB cable. Yesterday I went to give this thing it's first charge and the screen display simply said "Charging Slowly" it didnt matter if I used QC3, QC4 or a standard 2.4 amp phone charger.
I note that the manual says
Power Source
Built-in battery: Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery
Charging and Power supply: USB power (from a computer via a USB)
Charging Time (USB charging)
Approx. 4.5 hours
I have no intention of dragging a computer around to charge this thing. I havent seen this on any other DAP to be honest or any other USB C 3.1 device for that matter. What can you experienced ones tell me about how to effectively charge the Sony.

May 4, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #11,242 of 15,688
Hi Y'all.
I'm looking for some input on how to charge this thing (WM1AM2). I've have dozens of USB Chargers. 1Amp, 2.4 Amp, QC3, QC4, GAN, PD and on and on. I've also got every manner of USB cable. Yesterday I went to give this thing it's first charge and the screen display simply said "Charging Slowly" it didnt matter if I used QC3, QC4 or a standard 2.4 amp phone charger.

I have no intention of dragging a computer around to charge this thing. I havent seen this on any other DAP to be honest or any other USB C 3.1 device for that matter. What can you experienced ones tell me about how to effectively charge the Sony.
I have USB plugs in my electrical outlets at home and work. I just plug my WM1AM2 straight into the wall plug with a USB-C cable, no issues with charging time. I also use a 65W GaN charger when traveling and no issues there with charging my DAP. It could be an issue with the 1AM2 unit that you bought.

May 4, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #11,243 of 15,688
Hi Y'all.

It's possible that it is still in usb file transfer mode. Just reboot and reconnect to charger. I am using an older 5w apple iPhone charger which will show charging slowly in settings/ battery but occasionally use an Anker 65w charger usb c to usb c to get faster charge. Prefer using the 5w charger as that is essentially usb

May 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #11,244 of 15,688
Hi Y'all.

Did you try the USB C cable that came with the Sony?
Is the DAP almost fully charged already? Charging rate is variable, depending on the charge state of the battery being charged.
A battery with low charge will draw more current from the charger, and as it fills up, around 80% level, it will start to reduce the charging current. This reduces the heat/strain on the battery.

Sony also recommends a Reset as a trouble shooting step.

Notes on charging:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00244605

The Walkman battery can't be charged

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article
IMPORTANT: This article is only for specific Walkman® models. If your model is not listed in the Applicable Products and Categories section, refer to this other Can't Charge the Battery of My Walkman Player article instead.
If your Walkman can't charge the battery, check the following:
  • If you attempt to charge the Walkman while you are using it, it will take more time to completely charge.
  • When you use the Walkman for the first time, or if you have not used the Walkman for a long period of time, the battery may be completely drained. If this is the case, the display will not appear on the screen when you first start charging but will appear after about 30 minutes of charging.
Notes:
  • When your Walkman has USB Type-C™ port:
    • To charge the Walkman, use the supplied USB cable. Proper operation is not guaranteed when using a commercially available cable. If you want to use a commercially available cable, make sure it is a USB Type-C cable that complies with the USB standard, has data transmission functionality, and has a 56K Ohm resistor. If the cable doesn't comply with the USB standard, the Walkman can't be charged.
  • When charging the Walkman using a USB AC adapter:
    • Use a USB AC adapter with a potential current of 1.5A.
      Note: If you use an AC adaptor that doesn't support rapid charging, the Charging slowly message may appear on the Walkman screen.
    • Use the USB AC adapter with the supplied USB cable.
    • Check that the USB cable is firmly connected to both the Walkman and USB AC adapter and that the USB AC adapter is firmly connected to an AC outlet.
  • When charging the Walkman using a computer:
    • Don't use a charge-only USB cable, or a USB cable with no data transmission functionality.
    • The Walkman can't be charged when the computer is in sleep mode, even if you connect it to the computer. Be sure to cancel the sleep mode before attempting to charge the Walkman.
    • If the Walkman is connected using a USB hub, the Walkman can't be charged.
    • If there are any issues with the connected computer or USB cable, charging may not be possible. Try another way of charging, if possible.
    • If your computer has multiple USB ports, connect the Walkman to another USB port, and try charging again.

If the issue still occurs after checking all the items above, reset (restart) the Walkman. For details on how to reset the Walkman, refer to the Help Guide for your model. Manuals are posted on your model support page.
Note: No data or settings are deleted when you reset the Walkman.

May 6, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #11,245 of 15,688
    • Check that the USB cable is firmly connected to both the Walkman and USB AC adapter
This part is important, I have the ZM2 and realise i did this mistake for few months. As the ZM2 is heavy, I tend to place it on the table and insert the cable only by pushing the cable plug, because of the snug fit, often i find it is not fully inserted. It's better to hold the Walkman in hand and push slightly from both sides for full insertion.

May 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #11,246 of 15,688
Thanks All,
Everything seems to be working fine now. I didnt have it File Transfer mode, but somehow by updating the firmware and restarting it show fast charge with my Gan Charger and simply "Charging" with a normal 2.5 amp phone charger. The battery life is astounding and the unit itself is growing on me. Appreciate all the feedback

May 6, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #11,247 of 15,688
Anyone getting this with their screen? Seems very obvious on cold boot when i first turn on AM2 after it's been off for say a day. Obvious on gray screen - when first starting google Chrome for example (swipe to kill the app and re-run it again to get the blank gray)

It gets a bit better as time goes during use, but it's still very concerning. My Fiio M11 Pro also had similar problem.

ZX507 has no such issue.

am2-screenprob.jpg

May 6, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #11,248 of 15,688
Anyone getting this with their screen? Seems very obvious on cold boot when i first turn on AM2 after it's been off for say a day. Obvious on gray screen - when first starting google Chrome for example (swipe to kill the app and re-run it again to get the blank gray)

It gets a bit better as time goes during use, but it's still very concerning. My Fiio M11 Pro also had similar problem.

ZX507 has no such issue.

am2-screenprob.jpg
Mine 1Zm2 has a litlle, but less than yours , i dont know if this is a problem, but for me is no bother

May 6, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #11,249 of 15,688

ZX507 has no such issue.

am2-screenprob.jpg
If I turn screen brightness up to max and load a blank screen I will see something similar. Camera processing may exaggerate it.
In normal use I don't notice any problem.

May 6, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #11,250 of 15,688

ZX507 has no such issue.

am2-screenprob.jpg

Mine was way worse than yours - double of that width all around! Demo unit at the Sony shops looks exatly like that. Went to their Service Center to have it looked at, they said it doesn't impact usability of the device and if I wanted it replaced, I had to pay for it.....my OCDness can't handle it so I had it replaced. Now the new LCD doesn't have this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back