SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #2,491 of 2,823
a 1 TB MicroSD from SanDisk seems to be good

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #2,492 of 2,823
It depends. In another thread people were just talking about which micro sd brand to choose depending on what type of sound you like - bright, warm, detailed etc. Oh and don’t forget to put it in the fridge if yo want the best sound !

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #2,493 of 2,823
It depends. In another thread people were just talking about which micro sd brand to choose depending on what type of sound you like - bright, warm, detailed etc. Oh and don’t forget to put it in the fridge if yo want the best sound !
The freezer might be a good option as well, depending on the type of music you listen to! 🤪

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #2,494 of 2,823
By extension, putting your head in the freezer to cool the sound conversion unit of your ears, will have a positive effect. Try in 5 minute increments, and see what is optimum for your ears. Highly recommend that you give this a try.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #2,495 of 2,823
By extension, putting your head in the freezer to cool the sound conversion unit of your ears, will have a positive effect. Try in 5 minute increments, and see what is optimum for your ears. Highly recommend that you give this a try.
Don't forget the effects of gravity.

And bouncing your music off a satellite counts as using vacuum tubes :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #2,500 of 2,823
Sensitive equipment like medical imaging equipment requires more lower air conditioning temperatures in order to obtain more accurate diagnosis.

Having a cool environment certainly helps with reducing stress levels thus this can lead to better music enjoyment. I don’t suggest putting your head into the freezer but certainly I feel this is a good option for those who don’t believe in microSD making a difference in sound, since it’s good idea to keep a cool head on things.

Thermal noise is present in all electrical circuits, and in sensitive electronic equipment (such as radio receivers) can drown out weak signals, and can be the limiting factor on sensitivity of electrical measuring instruments. Thermal noise increases with temperature. Some sensitive electronic equipment such as radio telescope receivers are cooled to cryogenictemperatures to reduce thermal noise in their circuits.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/b...l-noise-bandwidth-in-my-electronic-components

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #2,501 of 2,823
These are words from a German data recovery company. Temperature does affect nand flash and error correction in microSD card is of importance, even in high quality nand flash chips:

https://www.cbltech.de/pressezentrum/unzuverlaessige-flash-speicher

Google translate:
The downside of success in increasing memory density: Writeability (endurance) and memory capability (retention) decrease. This means that the number of maximum possible write-read cycles decreases and the risk increases that the charge differences, which are read as bits, can no longer be read due to the aging of the insulation layer that holds these charges. The problem that writing and reading at different temperatures generate bit errors in the NAND chip also becomes more pronounced with higher memory density.

Even with high-quality memory chips, the effort that must be operated by the manufacturers for error correction mechanisms in the controller is enormous. It is not surprising that you suffer data loss with USB sticks in which decommissioned chips are installed. Flash memory is practical, but you should be aware that they can lose data, for example, if stored for a long time," says Heinicke.

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #2,502 of 2,823
How do you manage playlists?

I used Album Artist until now to index them, but I'd merge few albums in a playlist for work music and I feel so dumb :))

On the player itself it's kinda horrible. And now with 2k+ songs, Sony's PC app wants to re-transfer everything again (even if I have the same folder from the walkman on the PC, copied yesterday).

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #2,503 of 2,823
It also was explained, several times, that the Data, before getting processed, is loaded into the Internal Memory (RAM) and then loaded into the Cache and then is decoded and then is send to the S-Master HX.

So the time when the "data" turns into music happens long after the data have been read from the MicroSD card and so the card has no relevance.

0110101001010 always sounds the same, no matter how hot/cold your MicroSD card is.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #2,504 of 2,823
It also was explained, several times, that the Data, before getting processed, is loaded into the Internal Memory (RAM) and then loaded into the Cache and then is decoded and then is send to the S-Master HX.

So the time when the "data" turns into music happens long after the data have been read from the MicroSD card and so the card has no relevance.

0110101001010 always sounds the same, no matter how hot/cold your MicroSD card is.
Finally, someone who has brains.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #2,505 of 2,823
I was thinking about sending my SD cards for holidays, to Bahamas or Bora Bora, so I can prevent the music burnout on the cards and the music plays more colorful 🥲

Users who are viewing this thread

Back