SONY NW-ZX700
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #2,266 of 2,737
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2,270 of 2,737
Lol, another quirk of the Sony music player lyric handling has been uncovered! It turns out that both AAC and ALAC files can have unsynced lyrics just fine! I downloaded one song from Qobuz in ALAC instead of FLAC to test this out, and indeed, the unsynced lyrics for that file were properly detected and displayed in the music app. On FLAC files, they must be synced in accordance with the accepted format or no lyrics at all. The Sony player just hates FLAC for some reason. All lyrics are stored in separate LRC files regardless of file format.

One more thing that I found earlier, but didn't post here. I've been using a Python script called syncedlyrics to find synchronized lyrics for my music collection. It works great overall (other than sometimes returning lyrics for the wrong song), but certain lyrics sources provide lyrics synced to the millisecond. That's not allowed in the Sony player, and this is documented in the manual that timestamps can go down to the hundredth of a second. You need to go through the output of the script and strip out the millisecond from every timestamp in order for the player to recognize the lyrics.

As a software engineer, this is endlessly amusing to me, because it's like the music player has no graceful error handling. It seems like half of the code I write for work is for handling the myriad of errors and different return possibilities, and the music app just doesn't bother with that. File format doesn't fit my expectations? No lyrics for you!

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,276 of 2,737
Lol, another quirk of the Sony music player lyric handling has been uncovered! It turns out that both AAC and ALAC files can have unsynced lyrics just fine! I downloaded one song from Qobuz in ALAC instead of FLAC to test this out, and indeed, the unsynced lyrics for that file were properly detected and displayed in the music app. On FLAC files, they must be synced in accordance with the accepted format or no lyrics at all. The Sony player just hates FLAC for some reason. All lyrics are stored in separate LRC files regardless of file format.

One more thing that I found earlier, but didn't post here. I've been using a Python script called syncedlyrics to find synchronized lyrics for my music collection. It works great overall (other than sometimes returning lyrics for the wrong song), but certain lyrics sources provide lyrics synced to the millisecond. That's not allowed in the Sony player, and this is documented in the manual that timestamps can go down to the hundredth of a second. You need to go through the output of the script and strip out the millisecond from every timestamp in order for the player to recognize the lyrics.

As a software engineer, this is endlessly amusing to me, because it's like the music player has no graceful error handling. It seems like half of the code I write for work is for handling the myriad of errors and different return possibilities, and the music app just doesn't bother with that. File format doesn't fit my expectations? No lyrics for you!
I have never bothered with lyrics but it is odd that the player has this quirk with one of the most popular file formats for music, thanks for the info it was a very interesting read.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,278 of 2,737
AFAIK only recently someone managed to root NW-ZX507. However, the procedure is currently not as easy as removing volume cap on SONY OS DAPs (like e.g. NW-ZX300) using the Rockbox tool was.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #2,280 of 2,737
New firmware version 2.00.02 is released, this includes the Android 13 upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back