SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #5,566 of 8,642
@Dapman. That's overly harsh. Sony just want to cater to as many people as possible. For some purists like me, Sony has the "Direct mode", where I found the base sound of the ZX507 is perfect, I preferred it to the AK SP1000M, while for others that want a larger than life sound, Sony has best in class DSP's. I would never compare any dap to a desktop product either. Also all other dap manufacturers I've experienced have also tweaked their sound through firmware updates as well, and in all cases it's always been an evolution rather than revolution.
I didn’t intend to hurt your feelings, nothing personal. It was a general opinion on how companies cater to masses. I mentioned about class earlier.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #5,567 of 8,642
Use MP3 Tag. I run into this issue when I first got my DAP. Had to redo the DSD folders.

No need to rename the image.

1. After installing Mp3 Tag.Restart PC.
  2. Open the music folder you want to modify
  3. Highlight all tracks
  4. Right-click and choose Mp3 tag
  5. This will open Mp3 tag window
  6. Select all Tracks again
  7. Drop image you want as cover art in the image area
  8. Click Save.
  9. Delete the old folder from the walkman. Drop the resaved folder onto the Zx507...cover art should display correctly.

MP3tag doesn’t work in iMac...... any other good software that can do the same job?

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #5,568 of 8,642
I didn’t intend to hurt your feelings, nothing personal. It was a general opinion on how companies cater to masses. I mentioned about class earlier.

My opinion is that you are crossing the line with your very loud and overly opinionated comments on how terrible Sony, their products and the people liking them are. We are trying to get some positive vibes on this forum and while it certainly ok to question something, bashing on people and products like that is not.

And this "purist" stuff, man, are you for real?

If you don't have anything positive to say about your ZX50X series, it's ok, sell it move on...

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #5,570 of 8,642
I'm not about to question what other people can hear/discern when listening to their gear. I ended up with the Sony for different reasons, namely excellent wifi and bluetooth performance compared to other DAPs I have owned (Hiby, Fiio, etc) and a stable, recent android OS. I am absolutely pleased that people with better ears than mine validate that it has excellent sound.

Now, if battery life were better and it had system-wide MQA and native DLNA in the Walkman app (bitperfect/MQA streaming from my NAS), it would be near perfect for my use case. At least until the next, latest and greatest comes along...

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,573 of 8,642
@Vitaly2017
Hey all Sony ZX507 owners! Hope you guys are enjoying the new sound experience on the DSEE Ultimate like I am. It isn’t perfect but I guess it can sound awesome most of the time especially with lossy and cd audio quality music.

Yeah, it is no brainer. To me, this Sony ZX-507 is like I carrying my Intel core i7 laptop and my SONY PHA-3 together and using Signify HQ Player Pro software trying to upscale every music records to DSD quality and as more life-like as possible. Now I don't need to go through all the hassle with just using the ZX-507. The algo automatically converts all my music to DSD-like full of life-like. It is effortless. Of course, you need good equipment to squeeze more details out like a good audio cable on the receiving end. (16 pure core silver 7N balance cable or 16 core pure copper 6N cable, SONY MDR-Z1R,etc).

To me, when sound goes through any device, it is all processed, it is not organic, not natural anymore even in a live concert with audio-speaker systems. All devices process sound to more natural life-like. Even those audio-speaker systems worth couple million US dollars, the sound is processed. It is sort of imitation. The engineers use very sensitive devices to fine tune everything. It is very-close to the real thing. Unless, of course, you pay big bucks like couple millions a year for music bands/musicians or music singers to perform in front of you with no audio-speaker systems allowed like during the age of Mozart or before eighteen century A.D.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #5,574 of 8,642
Interesting to see DSD upscaling being compared with DSEE. I now find DSD upscaling via HQPlayer doesn't quite seem like Sony's DSD Direct, but nevertheless, DSD doesn't yield much difference. DSEE is much different.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #5,575 of 8,642
Interesting to see DSD upscaling being compared with DSEE. I now find DSD upscaling via HQPlayer doesn't quite seem like Sony's DSD Direct, but nevertheless, DSD doesn't yield much difference. DSEE is much different.
All to DSD definitely can't compare to DSEE-HX, that much i can confirm.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #5,576 of 8,642
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #5,577 of 8,642
We really have to conclude that this DSEE Ultimate on walkmans is different to the DSEE Ultimate on Xperia when it first was released.

In addition to the sampling frequency, DSEE Ultimate also extends the bit depth.

Bit depth expansion has been around for a long time.

DSEE did not have bit depth expansion.

From 2013 DSEE HX went to 24bit.

In addition, from 2016 A30 series and WM1 were expanded to 32 bits.

2018 DSEE HX was equipped with AI technology.

It's hard to see how many actual improvements and expansions have been made with DSEE HX, so many would guess that they merely changed the name to DSEE Ultimate as if it were the latest summary, without actual changes.

But it is more likely that either Xperia's Ultimate is or isn't the same as this new ver. And I find it isn't.

If we find that they are both the same, then the statement about the battery being 30% less than the old AI ver would be false. Because Xperia has the old AI ver. The other possibility is that the 'intensity' of DSEE was raised by some settings in this new update. So the actual algorithm hasn't changed.

The latest change is mysterious.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #5,578 of 8,642
XPERIA 5 II and Xperia 1 III will probably get the new DSEE.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #5,579 of 8,642
My opinion is that you are crossing the line with your very loud and overly opinionated comments on how terrible Sony, their products and the people liking them are. We are trying to get some positive vibes on this forum and while it certainly ok to question something, bashing on people and products like that is not.

If you don't have anything positive to say about your ZX50X series, it's ok, sell it move on...

Honestly, if you're a purist, just go see the band you love live. and you better be in the sweet spot because everything gets processed by Positioning+Space+Time.

I say the best investment is actually an excellent pair of IEM's or headphones + Decent DAP. In the end, this hobby is all about enjoying music.

On that note, just ordered the Unique Melody MEST after recs from reviewers I trust. They say it bests even the IER-Z1R and many others compared to it.
Should be a wonderful pairing with the ZX500 Series.

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #5,580 of 8,642

Someone crossed the line saying user’s ears have problem. Who said Sony’s products are terrible? I lost you there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back