SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #4,321 of 8,639
Thanks for replying so quick! I just want to confirm that I will not part with my MDR-Z1Rs. These will be following me for years to come. And when it comes to spending money that is not an issue as long as there’s good return for the investment. That’s why I was so confused with the Hugo 2 not giving me either good sound nor “feeling”. 😊
did u try mdr z1r with zx507 on 4.4?
how does bass feel?is there any luck of power?

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #4,322 of 8,639
did u try mdr z1r with zx507 on 4.4?
how does bass feel?is there any luck of power?

I’ve yet to try any MP3 players. As stated in my previous post I’ve only played my music from an iPhone through TA, Hugo 2 and Mojo. Hence my first post asking if there’s any benefits sound-vise to use a dedicated MP3 player like WM1/ZX507 compared to an iPhone. 😊

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #4,323 of 8,639
I’ve yet to try any MP3 players. As stated in my previous post I’ve only played my music from an iPhone through TA, Hugo 2 and Mojo. Hence my first post asking if there’s any benefits sound-vise to use a dedicated MP3 player like WM1/ZX507 compared to an iPhone. 😊
got it.
I believe that u can save zx507 smooth and sweet harsh-free sound signature if it's analog connected to the amplifier (via 3.5 to 3.5 or 3.5mm to dual RCA) instead of digital (usb) connection (as I was told yesterday by head-fi member). moreover it's reported that BT headphones sound incomparably better with zx507 than with iphone (or many other hi-end smartphones)
from functional point of view. dedicated audio player (zx507 with 512gb+ micro sd card inside) will be operationally superior to any other smartphone.
possible battery life issue maybe be solved by any tiny 2.1A 5.1V 5000mAh power bank. it recharges 50+% in less than an 1 hour with moderate heating during playback on 4.4 maxed volume (I was testing power/voltage hungry hd820).
by the way in that day I believe I experienced battery % rise even after I disconnected the charger. (maybe from 78 to 80%)
and a week ago I experienced a decreasing battery% even after I plugged the charger. it dropped for 2% to 1% and then to 0%. and remained so (0) for a 15-30 minutes. I don't remember if I myself or Walkman itself stopped the playback. when I checked my Walkman next time, playback was stopped and battery charged a few (4-8) %
did anyone experienced such weird battery % performance?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #4,324 of 8,639

Key difference between the ZX507 and iPhone is in the clock oscillator. Iphone only has one type of 48KHz clock and it is shared by many other chips inside the iphone, which affects the accuracy of the timing signals. When you play a 44.1KHz file on the iPhone, the signaling timing to send data to the dac is done via software recalculation and it isn't as accurate enough from an audiophile perspective.

Sony has two dedicated clocks that provides very precise accurate timing signalling and data transmission to your USB dac. You will definitely find that the ZX507 to perform better than the iphone as your source transport as it has much lower jitter.

Crystal oscillator
Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. With the dual crystal oscillators, the NW-ZX500 is able to achieve audio quality with a good signal-noise ratio and faithful digital reproduction

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #4,325 of 8,639
You will need a usb-c hub with power delivery input if you wish to charge up/don't lose battery power on your zx507 while connected to external dac.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #4,326 of 8,639
Key difference between the ZX507 and iPhone is in the clock oscillator. Iphone only has one type of 48KHz clock and it is shared by many other chips inside the iphone, which affects the accuracy of the timing signals. When you play a 44.1KHz file on the iPhone, the signaling timing to send data to the dac is done via software recalculation and it isn't as accurate enough from an audiophile perspective.

Sony has two dedicated clocks that provides very precise accurate timing signalling and data transmission to your USB dac. You will definitely find that the ZX507 to perform better than the iphone as your source transport as it has much lower jitter.

Crystal oscillator
Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. With the dual crystal oscillators, the NW-ZX500 is able to achieve audio quality with a good signal-noise ratio and faithful digital reproduction
did u try zx507 with analog (3.5 to 3.5 or 3.5 to dual RCA) connection to amplifier instead of digital (usb) connection?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #4,327 of 8,639

Crystal oscillator

Now this is what I’m looking for! Only one open question regarding this discussion. So if one would Stream an MQA album from Tidal, will the source device (iPhone vs ZX500) make a difference even though it’s just a “transporter” of digital information sort of to a TA-ZH1ES? Also, does it makes the same difference when it comes to locally saved DSD/FLAC files saved on the device?

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #4,328 of 8,639
It's a very complicated topic, Mr Hans explains it very well:

Transport device introduced jitter affects all playback including hi-res streaming and flac/DSD.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #4,330 of 8,639
I owned both the A105 and 507 at same time. Went with 507. it has a lot more power. 105 is cute, small and has some positives though. It does sound a little thin compared to the 507. The 507 is a warmer than neutral dap. 105 still has a warmer signature than neutral but i feel like it's missing something, but perfectly reasonable for its price point. that said, the DX160 is clear cut better in sound quality than the A105 (and to some extent the 507) at the same price range. (it does have its own set of issues though)

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #4,331 of 8,639
After reading some more it seems like ZX507 have DSEE HX AI. And then another question comes up. Since I will buy the 1000XM4 as portables/NC and they use the new DSEE Extreme AI. How will these two sound improvers combine their work? 😄

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #4,335 of 8,639
After reading some more it seems like ZX507 have DSEE HX AI. And then another question comes up. Since I will buy the 1000XM4 as portables/NC and they use the new DSEE Extreme AI. How will these two sound improvers combine their work? 😄
In Bluetooth mode all sound enhancements of the 507 like DSEE will be disabled. Therefore only the DSEE function of the headphones will be active....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back