SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3,841 of 8,639
Just listened to the same song in MQA version on Tidal and in 24-bit/96 kHz bought on Qobuz through the Walkman app. Night and day. Just saying ...

I assume your playing the bought track in the Walkman player? That's where the difference is. The Walkman app is doing bitperfect via its own driver direct to hardware (bit like UAPP on compatible phones) while the Tidal App is having the 16/44 or 32/192 scaling via Android and both introduce a slight veil for what I'm hearing.

I have a 24/192 FLAC, the same 24/192 but as an MQA and then the MQA Tidal stream. The first two sound identical in the Walkman app while the Tidal stream/offline version of it going through Tidal app has the slight veil.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #3,842 of 8,639
And if anyone has followed my feedback . . . there can only be one . . . Hiby sold, Sony kept :relaxed:

Music via Walkman app is bloody awesome and I can live with/work around the Tidal scaling issue.

The Sony is the only device that can reliably connect with a stable link to my BTR5 via LDAC high quality (990) too. My S10+ only happy at 600kps and Hiby had lots of drops at 990.

Flawless WIFI connection too.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,843 of 8,639
I would think no matter how much Sony manages to fix the streaming issues in the future firmware, sdcard playback of hi res music files is still superior in terms of absolute sound quality as there is less processing/radio noise going on.

Sony really needs to step up their firmware development as the Chinese dap makers are making much progress interms of streaming functionality and streaming sound quality.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #3,844 of 8,639
I assume your playing the bought track in the Walkman player? That's where the difference is. The Walkman app is doing bitperfect via its own driver direct to hardware (bit like UAPP on compatible phones) while the Tidal App is having the 16/44 or 32/192 scaling via Android and both introduce a slight veil for what I'm hearing.

I have a 24/192 FLAC, the same 24/192 but as an MQA and then the MQA Tidal stream. The first two sound identical in the Walkman app while the Tidal stream/offline version of it going through Tidal app has the slight veil.

Yes, I was playing the MQA song through the Tidal app
The 24/96 song via the Walkman app
Direct Sound : on
Hi res streaming : on

For me it was a lot more of difference then a "slight veil" :)

Where do you find MQA files outside of Tidal ?

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3,845 of 8,639

There's a method but not able to discuss on the forums.

For testing I have done a direct comparrison between the MQA in Tidal app and the same MQA file played in Walkman app.

Veil & lacking life/dynamics compared to Walkman App.

There are a few sites you can legally buy MQA versions.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #3,846 of 8,639

Actually if you have a Qobuz subscription compare in the HD stream in Qobuz App as that will suffer same as Tidal app vs the file played in Walkman App.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,847 of 8,639
Anyone notice this?

Same music track on walkman app

PCM wave file vs

FLAC with level 0 no compression: same sound as wave file
FLAC with level 12 non-lossy compression: less airiness, very slight veil.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,850 of 8,639
Fully agree, that's why I continue to rip CD and buy music files

All I can say with my own ears :relaxed: is that with the Hiby R3 Pro that has Tidal Streaming built within the Hiby Music app, the Tidal MQA live streamed sounds exactly the same as the offline MQA track stored on SD card as that DAP does bitperfect & full MQA for all music.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,851 of 8,639
Listening to the Phillips masters of Eugen Jochun conducting Beethoven‘s symphonies on the Hiby R5 is quite precise and tame, almost emotionless, but still quite excellent as far as positioning of the instruments, note weight and speed. But on the ZX507, you get all the aforementioned attributes, but the notes are infused with this captivating emotion that the Sony DAP can get across. This player just pulls you into the music so well.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #3,853 of 8,639
Interesting discuss everyone. I still very much enjoy the ZX507 but about a month back I replaced the original balanced OFC wires from an audio board to a 4.4 mm jack to Mundolf silver/gold wires. I also replaced the wires from the battery terminals to the audio board and the wires going to the super capacitor. I went with the Blue Dragon instead of silver/gold wires to the battery terminals due to flexibility. I can confidently say that my modified ZX507 has surpassed my WM1A and sitting at the same level as a stock WM1Z if not very slightly below that . If anyone is handy with soldering, please give this a try. I am sure that u will be super happy with the result.

58384773-C353-4DB5-9B3B-5B2D0A92D1A0.jpeg
9C634E7E-5380-4D40-940C-BD4C8C92388E.jpeg
691AA444-6913-4CB1-B8EF-F328EAAE1103.jpeg
067C0A44-6F63-4113-81E8-07610A032882.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #3,855 of 8,639
Interesting discuss everyone. I still very much enjoy the ZX507 but about a month back I replaced the original 4.4 mm OFC from audio board to a 4.4 mm jack to Mundolf silver/gold wires. I also did the same cable replacement to the wire from the battery terminal to the audio board including the wire going to the super capacitor. I can confident say that my modified ZX507 has surpassed my WM1A and sitting at the same level as a stock WM1Z if not slightly . If anyone is handy with soldering, please give this a try. I am sure that u will be super happy with the result.

Wow. You've also shown why battery life is so poor with only a 1500mAh battery!

Even the tiny none Android Hiby R3 Pro has a 1650mAh.

Amazing it gets 19hrs in Walkman app with this tiny battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back