SONY NW-ZX500
May 30, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3,526 of 8,642
How would one go about ripping cds out of curiosity? Would you just want to copy the .wma files onto say a hard drive and then copy / convert them into FLAC or MQA or something... ?

Also guys I have a NW-ZX507, does this SD card work with my walkman? Sandisk product number: SDSQXA1-1T00-AN6MA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9W5HJV/ref=twister_B07V2PRSXC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
and better yet if I mostly plan on listening to Pop, Rock, Alternative, Country, Techno, Disco, and such using Tidal HiFi do you think I'll need it if I want to download just about everything if all I ever do is listen to music all day? Well I do... though $200 is allot and yeah I swear up and down I was on sony.com and they said that the NW-ZX507 supports up to a 2gb micro sd card.

Post Script Edit: Also, It might of been for the zx500 and other simliar models but sony reccomended a wall charger of 1.5amps. I have a 0.7amp charger that I've been using so to not go over board however I have a surge protected 1Amp/5v or 2.4Amp/5v.
So in summation regarding charging, what have ya'lls experiences been like? Also can I listen to my headphones and use like a 10 foot otg cable to an amp using the c cable or can I charge it with a 10 foot cable to a usb to an afromentioned usb hub? Just curious what ya'll have been doing.

you can use something like Exact Audio Copy to rip the CDs and convert them to another format, like FLAC.

I use Sandisk, at a lower capacity, and it works.

May 30, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #3,527 of 8,642
I agree that 16/44 is absolutely fine for me. Do you download your files, stream or RIP CDs?
How would one go about ripping cds out of curiosity? Would you just want to copy the .wma files onto say a hard drive and then copy / convert them into FLAC or MQA or something... ?

Also guys I have a NW-ZX507, does this SD card work with my walkman? Sandisk product number: SDSQXA1-1T00-AN6MA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9W5HJV/ref=twister_B07V2PRSXC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I was on sony.com and they said that the NW-ZX507 supports up to a 2gb micro sd card.

Yes, I rip CD's a lot, I use Foobar2000 or EAC, it's as simple as hitting the rip button in the program. I also download CD rip's of obscurer albums.

That Micro SD will work fine. Just like you mentioned, ZX507 supports up to 2TB micro sd.

May 31, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #3,529 of 8,642
Yes, I rip CD's a lot, I use Foobar2000 or EAC, it's as simple as hitting the rip button in the program. I also download CD rip's of obscurer albums.

Same — I like ripping CDs so I know what recording/master I’ve got. I find a lot of remasters don’t sound good on streaming services. I’d like to use EAC but I’m on Mac. XLD takes a long time for each rip. dBpoweramp was way quicker but you have to buy it.

May 31, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #3,530 of 8,642

and better yet if I mostly plan on listening to Pop, Rock, Alternative, Country, Techno, Disco, and such using Tidal HiFi do you think I'll need it if I want to download just about everything if all I ever do is listen to music all day? Well I do... though $200 is allot and yeah I swear up and down I was on sony.com and they said that the NW-ZX507 supports up to a 2gb micro sd card.

Post Script Edit: Also, It might of been for the zx500 and other simliar models but sony reccomended a wall charger of 1.5amps. I have a 0.7amp charger that I've been using so to not go over board however I have a surge protected 1Amp/5v or 2.4Amp/5v.
So in summation regarding charging, what have ya'lls experiences been like? Also can I listen to my headphones and use like a 10 foot otg cable to an amp using the c cable or can I charge it with a 10 foot cable to a usb to an afromentioned usb hub? Just curious what ya'll have been doing.

If you have a MAC you can use XLD

https://download.cnet.com/X-Lossless-Decoder/3000-2140_4-189505.html

May 31, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #3,532 of 8,642

Same — I like ripping CDs so I know what recording/master I’ve got. I find a lot of remasters don’t sound good on streaming services. I’d like to use EAC but I’m on Mac. XLD takes a long time for each rip. dBpoweramp was way quicker but you have to buy it.

I used dBpoweramp exclusively to rip all of my existing CDs and any new CDs I buy.

May 31, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #3,535 of 8,642
After listening to hundreds of my music tracks, trying out all the various DSP, switching between IER-M9 and 1AM2, I think there’s a lot more improvements under the hood than what Sony is telling us in its update log.

I am speculating that Sony has switched to a higher precision floating point system in its Walkman music app, DSP functions and sound driver layer.

Because I am hearing a bigger contrast between the softest part of the song and the loudest part of the song. This is more apparent on well recorded pcm music and hi res music content.

And it seems that EQ adjustments felt more much effective at changing the sound dynamics vs my memory of the previous firmware EQ.

Along with the feeling that this new firmware DSEE HX seems to make certain transients sound even more sharper/louder. Maybe they have altered the algorithms.

Also here’s good video by Google on why 32bit float is better than using integer for audio:

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #3,536 of 8,642
Is it possible to use other eq apps on this walkman, or am I stuck with the 'Sound Adjustment' and regarding that, what should I EQ with this? My only pair of headphones are sennheiser hd660s and I used the following: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 660 S (Fixed band EQ).
Did I do that right or did I make a mistake?

Also it seems to sound better without the vinyl, and without all other eq adjustments or I might just be naive in thinking this, any and all input is appreciated. :)

May 31, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #3,537 of 8,642
Is it possible to use other eq apps on this walkman, or am I stuck with the 'Sound Adjustment' and regarding that, what should I EQ with this? My only pair of headphones are sennheiser hd660s and I used the following: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 660 S (Fixed band EQ).
Did I do that right or did I make a mistake?

Also it seems to sound better without the vinyl, and without all other eq adjustments or I might just be naive in thinking this, any and all input is appreciated. :)

Each of us have a different hearing ability and loudness sensitivity due to shape of our ear canal and age. Even occupation can have effect on hearing abilities and loudness sensitivity.

What might sound great might be too loud for another.

Also music preferences will change over time. You might prefer rock and alternative music when younger and grow to listen to jazz or classical music as you age.

Certain headphones will excel with certain genres. So I recommend exploring music using different sets of headphones if your disposable income allows. Using a good balanced armature iems for example will allow you to hear micro detail in your music that you would otherwise miss out using headphones. This is the fun part of this hobby, discovering new musical elements in very familiar music that you listen to.

Just adjust EQ if you need abit of boost in certain frequencies or for reduction in certain frequencies or just leave it off if you think it already sounds good to your ears.

May 31, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #3,538 of 8,642
Can one of you "Nyquistadors" pease tell me....

...Is there an improvement to the 507 reproduction of 24 bit 96k Amazon Music HD files via this latest update?

A) Yes
B) No

Many thanks.

May 31, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #3,540 of 8,642
Since this dap has Android 9, has anyone tried the app Wavelet? Any software conflicts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back